Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

This from over on N.O.

We f***ing deserve (if any set of fans) some happiness and success.

i agree under Ashley we've had a "Decade of Dogshit"

Edited by trooper

1 hour ago, adios said:

Aye this does not bode well at all.

FFS @The Fish I love your optimism but you don't see the massive warning signs this implies?

I'm just not as convinced these quotes mean the catastrophe that people seem to be predicting.

It would be great if Benitez was assured that there would be £100m to spend on players in January, but if this takeover is going through it's no great surprise that the transfer budgets aren't sorted yet. And, we know Benitez loves a power play and this could well be another one. 

I'm not convinced we'll spend huge sums in January regardless of who the owner is, but I'm not as confident as others that this means doom.

I don't see anyone saying this means doom, and certainly not confidently.

@trooper just said - "Doesn't look like we're getting sorted for the January window if he's having to talk about transfer budgets with Charnley" - which is exactly what it looks like.

2 minutes ago, adios said:

I don't see anyone saying this means doom, and certainly not confidently.

@trooper just said - "Doesn't look like we're getting sorted for the January window if he's having to talk about transfer budgets with Charnley" - which is exactly what it looks like.

Just because Benitez says in a press conference “We’re monitoring players and talking to people. We still don’t know how much money is available. We know what we need, can we get that, I don’t know." that doesn't mean; the deal won't be done by the time the January window closes, that approaches can't be made for players, that there aren't tentative talks with the potential new owners, or that Benitez doesn't, in fact know how much is available.

No, but no one is talking about doom. 

If it is true that Rafa still doesn't know what he has to spend a couple weeks into December isn't that a major concern?

2 hours ago, adios said:

No, but no one is talking about doom. 

If it is true that Rafa still doesn't know what he has to spend a couple weeks into December isn't that a major concern?

If it's true, it's a concern, but is, for me, indicative of the ongoing nature of the takeover talks. If they were dead in the water, I don't think he'd be as unsure of his budget as he is.

I'm more concerned with Benitez's reticence to play Mitrovic and Shelvey to be honest.Our squad is thin on quality and these two have shown in the past they're capable of performing in the top flight. 

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

If it's true, it's a concern, but is, for me, indicative of the ongoing nature of the takeover talks. If they were dead in the water, I don't think he'd be as unsure of his budget as he is.

I'm more concerned with Benitez's reticence to play Mitrovic and Shelvey to be honest.Our squad is thin on quality and these two have shown in the past they're capable of performing in the top flight. 

Not sure what Shelvey's done but Mitro's nailed on to be away in a couple of weeks. Were he goes is anyones guess but im sure he'll want to be playing regular seeing as it's a World Cup year coming up.

You don't think Rafa not knowing what he has to spend at this point sounds like every other bit of business Newcastle have done under Ashley?

BAMFU!

@The Fish

Edited by adios

3 minutes ago, adios said:

You don't think Rafa not knowing what he has to spend at this point sounds like every other bit of business Newcastle have done under Ashley?

BAMFU!

@The Fish

If there wasn't the takeover stuff I'd agree.

8 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Doing his realistic mag bit on rtg again. Top half finishes is his post-takeover dream.

:lol: 

And what are yours Quiff? Title challenges? Champions League?

The Ginger Biff more like.

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

:lol: 

And what are yours Quiff? Title challenges? Champions League?

The Ginger Biff more like.

Aye they are. Why not? I would imagine that was the bidder's ambitions when wanting to buy Liverpool. I'd imagine that the bidder emerging whilst Benitez is manager is an indicator of ambition. If they just wanted top half finishes they could buy Burnley. You mong.

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

6 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Aye they are. Why not? I would imagine that was the bidder's ambitions when wanting to buy Liverpool. I'd imagine that the bidder emerging whilst Benitez is manager is an indicator of ambition. If they just wanted top half finishes they could buy Burnley. You mong.

Aye, because it's feasible to turn Liverpool into a title challenging side. How much would an owner need to invest and for how long to turn Newcastle United into a title challenging side, and who the fuck are we usurping? 

Man Utd? Man City? Chelsea? they've all spent £1bn on players. One billion pounds. Are our new owners going to throw £1bn at the squad? Can they? 

Spurs? they've one of the best young sides in the league already, they've a good coach, they're moving into a new larger stadium and are one of the richest clubs on the planet already.

11 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Aye, because it's feasible to turn Liverpool into a title challenging side. How much would an owner need to invest and for how long to turn Newcastle United into a title challenging side, and who the fuck are we usurping? 

Man Utd? Man City? Chelsea? they've all spent £1bn on players. One billion pounds. Are our new owners going to throw £1bn at the squad? Can they? 

Spurs? they've one of the best young sides in the league already, they've a good coach, they're moving into a new larger stadium and are one of the richest clubs on the planet already.

Why not? Who do you suppose is buying us? So you think they've gone from wanting Liverpool and wanting to mount title challenges to wanting to take us top half instead? :lol: I think a better suggestion would be that the saving on purchase price can be invested in players. And we are probably a billion cheaper than Liverpool to buy.

It's "feasible" to turn anybody into a title challenging side. Whoever is behind this clearly wants a top club not an also-ran.

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

If you don't hope that a new owner could be a super-rich nut who will turn us into title challengers in a few years then whats the point in hoping for anything?

Dreaming of those top half finishes isn't exactly setting the pulse racing

• Like 1