Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

19 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

The well-known "sheikh" who is the brother, cousin and also no relation to the Man City one

Journos not knowing if the Sheikh is related to the man city fellah has literally no bearing on whether proof of funds have been provided or a price has been agreed. between BZG & NUFC. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, trooper said:

The sheik says " they've agreed a price"  to me that means they've agreed the clubs worth £350 million. Now whether they bid that amount remains to be seen. Or even if they make a bid.

So you're taking silence from Ashley as meaning a lot more than firm statements from BZG? 

What's your opinion on Staveleys bid? genuine? 

27 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Journos not knowing if the Sheikh is related to the man city fellah has literally no bearing on whether proof of funds have been provided or a price has been agreed. between BZG & NUFC. 

Even people in Dubai seem to know very little about him. It's all very odd

25 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

So you're taking silence from Ashley as meaning a lot more than firm statements from BZG? 

What's your opinion on Staveleys bid? genuine? 

I think the silence from Ashley is telling, he's using it to put Benitez in a difficult position. Which makes it entirely possible that he's set the whole thing up. I don't give any weight to any of the BZG statements because I don't know how credible they are. I think Stavelys bids were genuine because she is credible and showed them to Caulkin iirc

1 hour ago, trooper said:

The sheik says " they've agreed a price"  to me that means they've agreed the clubs worth £350 million. Now whether they bid that amount remains to be seen. Or even if they make a bid.

I would agree with PL that the agreement of a price is an agreement in principle to buy the club/ a “bid”.

They’re not just going to rock up and go “yep we agree the club is worth £350m, ok well good bye”. Their statement also said “We have agreed terms and are working hard to complete the transaction at the earliest opportunity”.

Edited by Howay
  • Like 1

it's like buying a house. BZG and the club have agreed a price. Either side can pull out but to suggest BZG haven't "made a bid" is taking being cautious to a ridiculous extreme and throwing common sense out of the window. Of course they've made a bid. It doesn't mean the club is sold by any stretch of the imagination.  But if it falls through it's not because of them not being serious or not having the funds. It'll be because Ashley isn't selling and is using the BZG bid to stall for time and manipulate the situation enough so that Rafa walks away. 

12 years in and people still appear to be giving Ashley the benefit of the doubt  despite being in full possession of the facts about him. 

• Like 2

Just seen this I always thought he was on £6 million a year ?

From the Times:

If it’s tough at the top in business, in professional football the pressure is off the scale. The impatience for success and intolerance of perceived failure is such that the average tenure as a manager in the Premier League is 1.7 years, according to the League Managers Association. The rewards, however, while usually not in the same stratosphere as they are for the players, are buoyed by the vast sums sloshing into the game from TV rights and foreign owners with deep pockets attracted by trophy global sports brands.

Even the serial underachieving “big club” Newcastle United pay Rafael Benítez £4 million a year, a fact that must make the owner, Mike Ashley wince.

It looks like the clocks getting well & truly run down on Rafa's contract. What should have been almost a formality looks like it's going right to the wire.

Well aye, but we all knew that was on the cards. I doubt we'll hear anything about it either way until the final week, unless Rafa decides he's had enough.

The fact that he hasn't yet decided that, makes me hopeful. You mentioned that the meetings had concluded last week or something right? If Rafa can't work with what's on the table, you'd think he would have announced it.

Yeah The Mirror newspaper said "talks had concluded" & the club  were waiting on a decision from Rafa. A sort of take it or leave it situation 

Edited by trooper

I mean the takeover does add the possibility that Rafa is just waiting to see, but again, they've been pretty clear that it won't be done in time for his contract expiry...

There is enough empty space in the knowledge available that I'm not totally pessimistic about this yet.

Watch Rafa announce in the next 30 mins that he's off :lol:

Latest from George Caulkin...

If I had an update, I’d give one! It’s not like I’ve forgotten. And I don’t want to fan the flames unnecessarily. This week should bring news and I hope it’ll be positive, but I’m not going into more detail than that because I can’

Wether theres news on Rafa or "The Sheikhover" hes not saying 

Edited by trooper

19 days left on his contract, it would have all been tied up now if he was staying. Cheers Rafa & good luck at your next club. Oh & fanks Mike you utter toss pot. I'm half expecting to see Pardew unveiled as the "new manager" on July 1st

1 minute ago, trooper said:

19 days left on his contract, it would have all been tied up now if he was staying. Cheers Rafa & good luck at your next club. Oh & fanks Mike you utter toss pot. I'm half expecting to see Pardew unveiled as the "new manager" on July 1st

Don't you think he would have said something by now if he'd decided he was leaving?

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Don't you think he would have said something by now if he'd decided he was leaving?

Probably not as hes contracted until 30th June. This has had all the hallmarks of Shearer for a while I.e. frozen out. Yeah they've offered him a new contract. But its obvious it's no were near what he was asking for.