Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

:lol:

I really do hope there's a positive atmosphere, we need to do all we can to get Rafa to stay. A nasty poisonous atmosphere does nothing to get rid of Ashley and it would perhaps give Rafa a reason to hesitate, so what's the point?

:lol:

I really do hope there's a positive atmosphere, we need to do all we can to get Rafa to stay. A nasty poisonous atmosphere does nothing to get rid of Ashley and it would perhaps give Rafa a reason to hesitate, so what's the point?

Totally agree with this. A good old relegation party is the way to go.

Regardless of the vitriol he gets on social media, Rafa seems to enjoy working with Charnley so that's a plus. All boils down to what changes Rafa wants and whether Ashley has the sense to grab this chance with both hands.

Not sure I share the mood.

Rafa wants to have a nice send off and other clubs to sniff about him. NUFC don't want any bother at the last game. Journos want to wring every last possible word out of the matter.

All have an interest in stringing the fans along. None will benefit from making the announcement fans don't want sooner rather than later.

But the fact is, if there was any chance Rafa was staying we'd be moving hell and high water to get that deal done ahead of the game on Sunday. An there's no reason whatsoever we couldn't do it by then. Ashley and Charnley writing letters to the fans rather than talking to Benitez to agree what will be what? Nah, bullshit.

Thanks and goodbye Rafa.

Ashley Out.

Rafa wants to have a nice send off and other clubs to sniff about him. NUFC don't want any bother at the last game. Journos want to wring every last possible word out of the matter.

All have an interest in stringing the fans along. None will benefit from making the announcement fans don't want sooner rather than later.

But the fact is, if there was any chance Rafa was staying we'd be moving hell and high water to get that deal done ahead of the game on Sunday. An there's no reason whatsoever we couldn't do it by then. Ashley and Charnley writing letters to the fans rather than talking to Benitez to agree what will be what? Nah, bullshit.

Thanks and goodbye Rafa.

Ashley Out.

I tend to agree it's not that complicated to agree and a pre game announcement would have been fantastic.

I'll still cling to a smidge of hope though :lol:

I tend to agree it's not that complicated to agree and a pre game announcement would have been fantastic.

I'll still cling to a smidge of hope though :lol:

I'd usually feel similar to HF but I think we stand a slight chance of him staying, all because of his rumoured desire to remain near Liverpool. Without that I'd say there's absolutely no shot and we're being strung along, if it's been over-exaggerated then aye we're being strung along, but it's about all we have to cling too at the moment so we may as well hold on to it. I fucking despise Ashley but honestly 50k people turning up and being abusive about him doesn't bother him at all, if Rafa leaves then a full scale boycott of the club might actually have some sway on him since there's not as much TV money coming in (although there is parachute payments) but for the Spurs game it does nowt but possibly help Rafa's decision.

Fwiw I do think HF stands more of a chance of being right about Rafa's decision than my point, I'm just hoping he sticks around as honestly it's going to be shit going from Rafa to Cathro.

Edited by Howay

Thanks and goodbye Rafa.

Ashley Out.

I think you're probably right. Though I can totally understand why Rafa wouldn't fancy it. And wouldn't hold anything against him if he fucked off back to Spain or wherever.

But if he leaves because Ashley doesn't fancy paying his wages, or give him the total control he wants over player recruitment, then he's learned fuck all from his time here. His blueprint of appointing yes men and giving them zero control over signings has failed again and again. It's time to consign it to the dustbin, seize the rare opportunity to appoint a manager with pedigree and let him do his job.

He's already gambled on unproven coaches like hughton, and got lucky. Ditto with the washed up English managers like Pardew (almost took us down), and McClaren (would have taken us down)

Might be very different story this rime if he sticks to the same path.

I think all the signs are pointing to him not staying as well. He could have been more committed in that press conference. I'll be delighted if I'm wrong but the fuckwits in charge dont exactly inspire confidence

I think he's staying. Some may think that the chances are that Rafa has today just towed the Company line at Ashley's request, to keep fans on side. I don't think Rafa would do that as he's not that sort of person. I think he genuinely wants to stay but will not do so unless he feels he can change the things that he thinks are wrong and I personally think he's the best person we've had at the club to do that since we had Sir Bobby. It just shows how shit things have been that we're having to be debating this but that's where the club is now.

The write up on .com's is much more complete about what he said than any journalists. I'm positive about it, like.
Edited by Haydnator

When asked about the Everton job, Benitez said: “I have seen the news but I have not talked with anyone.

“So at the moment my priority is Tottenham tomorrow and after the meetings I will have.

“Hopefully everything will be fine and we see what happens.

“But if not, we will see what happens. In football you never know.”

Benitez was also asked if Newcastle can bounce back to the Premier League at the first attempt.

He said: “If I am in charge I hope yes. But if I am not in charge I wish them all the best.

“It is a massive club so we have to wait and see how the conversations go on, then after hopefully they will be with me.”

I think it at least sounds like there are terms under which he'll agree to it. Which is better than I thought in terms of probabilities.

I know it's unlikely we'll give him those terms, but saying that the previous model has now failed miserably. Hard to support it even from Ashley's position.

Rafa after today's game:

Rafa Benitez speaking to Match of the Day: "I said before the game that I am really pleased with the fans, the staff, and people here.

"My heart is telling me yes (to stay), it is a great opportunity, city and club but my brain is saying to analyse what is going on.

"I am really open to talking and see what happens. I have been in football all this time you want to be sure people love you and if you work hard that they recognise that you are trying your best and I have this here.

"I knew that every day when I walk in the streets. Everyone is so positive and the atmosphere today doesn’t surprise me too much. They were supporting for 90 minutes, I knew it would be like this and that is why I am so open to keep on talking."

Yep, best appointment we've made in years. We had that thread a few weeks ago which was trying to measure whether people would prefer staying in the PL without Rafa, or going down with him. I think most people preferred the latter, so this could still be a silver lining.

If he doesn't stay, then I guess we have to put it down to another bit of mismanagement from those running the club.

Nice to see you've come out of the slimy rock you've lived under for the past 12 months.

In the past 5 days your lot have went on like you've won the Champions League, yet you've failed to realise that you've been slating your bunch of fucking clowns all season and suddenly accept them as heroes. Fat Sam is suddenly a messiah. Yet him and his bunch of merry men have had you on the brink all season.

But that is the height of your ambition and is every season. Scraping survival every season because you have never known anything else. This time last week you were hiding under your mam's quilt you sad fucking cunt.

:lol: I'm going to assume that twat posted and had his post deleted between our posts there, and you've not just decided I'm a mackem...

You posted whist I was typing. Rest easy brother.

Edited by Anorthernsoul

Rafa will be having talks today/tonight. But he won't just be concentrating on next season. Rafa is a CL manager. Any conversation he will be having will be about gaining promotion and after that it'll be climbing towards the top 6. I'm not saying that Ashley's promises are worth shit but if Rafa stays then the owner has obviously at least promised ambition.