Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

Speaking as a parent, I'm an expert on using language that means "no" without actually saying it, I see that in abundance there.

I think he's off.

Nah, he's got a clause in his contract. Easy for him to say 'I did my best, sorry, ta-ra.'

I think he genuinely wants to stay, he just wants to make sure Ashley isn't going to take the piss during the transfer window

Speaking as a parent, I'm an expert on using language that means "no" without actually saying it, I see that in abundance there.

I think he's off.

Don't suppose you're willing to lay odds on that? ;)

If he stays, relegation would almost be entirely secondary. We will come back up with Rafa. Not only because of Rafa but also because of the promises the club will have to make to get him to stay.

I think we just have to take what he says at face value and assume that he might stay. It's a better scenario than I thought we'd have.

Nah, he's got a clause in his contract. Easy for him to say 'I did my best, sorry, ta-ra.'

I think he genuinely wants to stay, he just wants to make sure Ashley isn't going to take the piss during the transfer window

Aye that's it like, there's no point in him dancing round it anymore if he really does want away so I think he really is considering it.

Isnt keeping rafa here in the championship, and the sky high wages he'll be demanding, far too big a risk for any club to be taking. There's certainly no guarantee we'll be back at the first attempt and its just as likely we'll end up 'doing a Leeds'!

There's no guarantee of course, but keeping a top quality proven manager who clearly has the support of the fan base and the existing players is the closest to a guarantee that you'll get. The high wages in comparison to premier league TV money will be a pittance. Ashley has taken risks by cheaping out on backroom and management staff and it's landed the club in the championship. He can continue with the same budget risky strategies or pay extra to get superior coaching and reduce the risk.

It all depends on whether Rafa is actually interested in staying here long term.

Isnt keeping rafa here in the championship, and the sky high wages he'll be demanding, far too big a risk for any club to be taking. There's certainly no guarantee we'll be back at the first attempt and its just as likely we'll end up 'doing a Leeds'!

No club will ever "do a leeds". They were in the shit financially and didn't actually own their most valuable assets. Also Portsmouth didn't do a leeds either. They did a "get back to where you belong".

Ignore the football.

How much would a billionaire businessman risk to get a 100 million return?

Thing is, Rafa will negotiate another contract so it'll be just as easy for Ashley to put in a clause that says they must be promoted at the end of the season.

Rafa won't stay because he will be too scared to fail in PL promotion which would destroy his already wavering cv.

:lol: very poor

It's probably the one thing that would complete his already impressive CV. He's won major trophies with various European clubs, he's yet to rebuild a struggling club from the top to bottom and lead them in a promotion.

And you think he's about to start such folly with NUFC? :lol:

If he's given the control over player recruitment and the salary he wants, I think he might. From the interviews I've seen and read it looks like he likes the club and its potential if he is given the go ahead to rebuild it in the way he wants. He likes the area, the connection with the fans and the proximity to his family.

The thing that will fuck it up is Ashley not giving him what he wants, which is almost certainly going to happen.

we can afford him, it's a more a question of Ashley not wanting to pay his wages and to admit he's been wrong with the transfer approach - even though it is clear to all it has failed. ashley is a control freak and benitez will want full control - i think that's the reason he left liverpool in the end. something's got to give.

we can afford him, it's a more a question of Ashley not wanting to pay his wages and to admit he's been wrong with the transfer approach - even though it is clear to all it has failed. ashley is a control freak and benitez will want full control - i think that's the reason he left liverpool in the end. something's got to give.

He left Liverpool in the end because he said the directors knew nothing about football does that sound familiar? Edited by trooper

I think he would sell in a heartbeat if he could get what he wanted, but won't because the club is now worth considerably less than he paid for it.

Fair appraisal of the situation?

yup. no one is going to give him what he wants because he overpaid in the first place. the only way i see him leaving is if we end up stuck in the championship for a few years and he decides to cut his losses, or if we're promoted again and a silly offer comes in from china, russia or the one of oil rich arab states.

I can't see Rafa's wages etc being a problem it's wether he can trust Ashley that's why his heart is saying yes but he's obviously got this doubt in his mind. Maybe's Keegan's been in touch with Rafa & warned him who knows ?