Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

Someone asked the podcast where clubs in the relegation scrap would be with Benitez in charge and you've got to say they'd be top half. Certainly a team like Southampton, with the average standard of their players being higher than our lot. The way he's got players like Diame, Dummett, Yedlin playing individually and together as a unit is remarkable. 

8 hours ago, Chronic the Drug Wasp said:

He's the best manager we've had since Keegan and I hope we can see what he can do given the money to add quality.

I subscribe to the school of thinking that we know what we're talking about as well, as a collective. The mackems, even still now, probably don't understand our optimism after 'winning relegation'.

He's a far, far superior manager to Keegan.

Agree with @Andrew on pedigree.

Relative to what other coaches were capable of at the time, Keegan's man-management and coaching (he worked with some very average players) were phenomenal and put him up there imo.

Might be rose-tinted glasses.

Robson is a much easier comparison because their times at Newcastle/Liverpool just about overlapped iirc. 

our love for rafa makes a mockery of the sky cliches about the demanding newcastle fans who only want entertaining football and who would rather we lost 4-3 than drew 0-0.

rafa is pragmatic. the football can be dour to watch at times, and very negative depending on the opposition, but the players buy into his philosophy and work their socks off for him. that's what we want to see. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ant said:

You could argue Rafa at Napoli would be reasonable(ish) comparison to Keegan and his playstyle/squad ability

3rd in the league and a couple of cups

Aye, I think Rafa pips both of them, I just don't think it's anywhere close to "far, far superior".

1 minute ago, adios said:

Aye, I think Rafa pips both of them, I just don't think it's anywhere close to "far, far superior".

His trophy haul makes him far, far superior to the vast majority of managers. Including those we fondly remember.

27 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

His trophy haul makes him far, far superior to the vast majority of managers. Including those we fondly remember.

That only holds true if all other things are equal, which they're clearly not.

Rafa had a longer time with superior squads to prove his worth.  Keegan took Newcastle straight from the verge of Division 3 to challenging for the Division 1 title.  He was just a black swan in terms of motivation, though that passion may ultimately be the reason he shouldn't be rated as a top manager (stroppy cunt).

I don't think it's anywhere near as distant as you're making out but as you've implied, I was a far more naive fan back then, so could be wrong.  It's also worth pointing out, though, that I'm obviously aware of my cognitive bias when it comes to Keegan and am trying to adjust for it.

46 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

The only Rafa could surpass what Keegan did for Newcastle United is to win a trophy tbh. And even then, Keegan put us on the path that even made the likes of Rafa and Sir Bob possible.

Aye. But then I would argue that Benitez has given us more. We gave Keegan his first managers job and it as soon as the going got tough he was gone. Benitez has taken a job that he didn't need, stayed when he didn't need to to pull us from the shit. 

7 minutes ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

I’ve said it before but Keegan is the single best thing to have happened to the club in my entire time supporting the club. I fucking love the man.

Yeah its Keegan for me as a player & as a manager he was superb 

keegan was the best time in my life as a newcastle supporter, so in that sense i agree.

i think rafa has more chance of winning something. all he needs is a little backing and he'll go down in history as the manager to end the trophy drought. whether ashley release the funds he needs remains to be seen. i think rafa knows what it would mean to the the supporters if he were the man to win a trophy. he's already worshipped just for sticking with us and guiding us to 12th, a miracle really given what he's had to work with. 

2 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Aye. But then I would argue that Benitez has given us more. We gave Keegan his first managers job and it as soon as the going got tough he was gone. Benitez has taken a job that he didn't need, stayed when he didn't need to to pull us from the shit. 

The going wasn't tough in his first season then? :lol: A bunch of talented kids, some journeymen who were over the hill or injured and near the bottom of division two not that hard? Rafa's great but there's no comparison to where Keegan took us from and the heights we achieved.  He also could spot a player and make him better just like Rafa always gets credit for. 

11 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

The going wasn't tough in his first season then? :lol: A bunch of talented kids, some journeymen who were over the hill or injured and near the bottom of division two not that hard? Rafa's great but there's no comparison to where Keegan took us from and the heights we achieved.  He also could spot a player and make him better just like Rafa always gets credit for. 

His reason for leaving was bs

58 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

His reason for leaving was bs

Possibly. I just think he'd had enough and didn't fancy working with the board when they went PLC. It wasn't as if he spoonfed the supporters bullshit before rushing off to join another big club. 

I made the point to someone on Twitter earlier that Real Sociedad spent £16m last summer. They're further away from challenging the Spanish elite than we are - especially with the right owners - challenging the English elite.

13 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Rafas people starting the mind games with fat mike B)

I can't see Ashley being arsed now we're safe for another season i can honestly see the return of Pardew & Carver :(

• Haha 1
  • Jaysus... 1