4-2-3-1

TheGingerQuiff

I only used League performances because there are so many variable in cup competition that, without proper interrogation, could skew results greatly. Without knowing, he may have scored a stack of goals for CSKA Moscow at home vs crap teams?

Dunno, but performing well in the Russian league doesn't really have my heart all aflutter. Once bitten and all that. I'm not saying never play him, I'm asking what has CT seen in those 32 minutes that make him think he can play as a lone striker away to Leicester and as yet, he's been unable to come up with a single reason beyond "he's scored goals". Well, Doumbia hasn't scored since 21st October 2015, against Man Utd. CT hasn't said if Doumbia can hold up the ball, if his touch is good, if he can fashion chances for himself, if he can get past a couple of players, or anything like that.

Nice try :lol:

I didn't say I'd seen anything in those 30 minutes. It was you who said you'd seen nothing.

I've explained my reasons several times very clearly why I would like to see him given a chance. As have others.

I'll leave it there x

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No that's all fair enough. I think theres reasons both for and against, I just wasn't at all convinced that using Doumbia's stats for Roma against him was the right way to go (fwiw I seem to remember he scored a few of those Champions league goals against Man City).

CT's reason for playing him seems to just be that the others have for the most part failled this season so he's worth a go. Your view seems to be more along the lines of yes they failed when McClaren was in charge but you think Benitez can get more out of them. Personally I'm of the opinion than Perez is definitely not suited as a lone striker regardless of who the manager is because he's not strong or fast enough (I think you have to be one or the other to play that role properly). Mitrovic I'm not so sure about. He's clearly not got much pace but at times (West Ham) he's looked strong enough but others (Stoke) he's looked a bit clumsy and ball just hasn't stuck up with him like it has to. I think Doumbia has the pace reqguired and looks to be a sharper player in the box than the other two (as he showed by almost scoring against Stoke when the other never had a sniff). It might all come down to who has impressed Rafa in training and going from the tales we've heard that probably wont be Doumbia. But Rafa may know what to expect from him and may be a manager who can look beyond what a player shows in training to see their worth in the game.

Aye I'd agree with all of that. I'd add that I expect the team to play with more cohesion under Rafa and as such we wouldn't see Mitrovic as isolated. Re: Perez, I personally wouldn't play him up front on his todd, I think he works best when linking up with players and he hasn't the physicality to lead the line, nor the energy to buzz around their back line like a Long or Bellamy.

one big decision to make is whether to drop one of perez or wijnaldum. if we play them both, one of them ends up shunted out wide where they're less effective. an alternative would be to play them both and drop sissoko, but it wouldn't surprise me if he suddenly starts playing like a god now benitez is in charge.

no argument from me about who should lead the line - it has to be mitrovic.

Aye I'd agree with all of that. I'd add that I expect the team to play with more cohesion under Rafa and as such we wouldn't see Mitrovic as isolated. Re: Perez, I personally wouldn't play him up front on his todd, I think he works best when linking up with players and he hasn't the physicality to lead the line, nor the energy to buzz around their back line like a Long or Bellamy.

Yeah I'm hoping to see better support for whoever plays up front from now on.

Nice try :lol:

I didn't say I'd seen anything in those 30 minutes. It was you who said you'd seen nothing.

I've explained my reasons several times very clearly why I would like to see him given a chance. As have others.

I'll leave it there x

You fucking haven't like. All you've said is that he "seems a natural goal scorer". Well he hasn't scored, and over their career, Cisse has a better record so I'm not sure why you'd pick Doumbia ahead of a someone who's proven they can score in the Premier League.

If you'd said you think his pace would stretch Leicester's back line, that he can hold the ball up so we can build an attack around him, of that you believe he can fashion chances on his own... if you'd said any of that I might have disagreed but at least you'd have said something. But you didn't, you just said "he seems a natural goal scorer", well sorry mate but your track record of picking a player is god awful. :lol:

one big decision to make is whether to drop one of perez or wijnaldum. if we play them both, one of them ends up shunted out wide where they're less effective. an alternative would be to play them both and drop sissoko, but it wouldn't surprise me if he suddenly starts playing like a god now benitez is in charge.

Really frustrating but I am expecting Moussa to suddenly find his nutsack and play a bit.

re: Perez & Wijnaldum, I was thinking it might be worth playing them both and have them trade positions throughout the game and if one of them is getting more joy stick with it longer?

I think Perez looks quite effective whenever he's played wider. The only issue I had was when he looked like he was need of a rest. Gini becomes completely ineffective when he's wide and he also leaves the fullback behind him horribly exposed (and we all know whoever plays leftback for us needs all the help he can get).

If Townsend isn't fit I'd be happy enough with Perez on the left but like you I'd drop Sissoko so I'd happily have Townsend and Perez as our two wide players.

I also agree that Sissoko is just as likely to turn up now for a new manager. Which will be both a relief and disgusting at the same time!

Really frustrating but I am expecting Moussa to suddenly find his nutsack and play a bit.

re: Perez & Wijnaldum, I was thinking it might be worth playing them both and have them trade positions throughout the game and if one of them is getting more joy stick with it longer?

Sissoko isn't a winger, he's proven that. And Gini is a better no 10. He can't play in a 2 in midfield either as we get a ripped apart by him not tracking back. I think until he learns to not be a lazy bastard he can only be an impact player.

The complete is lopsided and when you look at our players. Too many of our players want to play in behind the striker

Sissoko isn't a winger, he's proven that. And Gini is a better no 10. He can't play in a 2 in midfield either as we get a ripped apart by him not tracking back. I think until he learns to not be a lazy bastard he can only be an impact player.

The complete side is lopsided and when you look at our players. Too many of our players want to play in behind the striker

The reserves mean nowt, not to me for a new signing , he should be at least making effort to get on the ball. the video I saw he looked like he was ready to fuckin sleep.

But I'm going overboard, I'm not saying he's shite - but Perez is , in my view, a really good player who's only getting better. Mitro and him deserve a chance to gel together. I'd rather play our actual players than someone whos probably not going to be here next season , and think Mitro Perez are more likely to score the goals we need.

Perez is quoted as saying RW is his preferred position also, I don't see why we've stuck with Sissoko tbh. Perez on right, Mitro up front now we've got effectively 4 strikers on the books.

Much prefer Perez on the right though, but he seems handy playing behind the striker too.

Edited by scoobos

The reserves mean nowt, not to me for a new signing , he should be at least making effort to get on the ball. the video I saw he looked like he was ready to fuckin sleep.

But I'm going overboard, I'm not saying he's shite - but Perez is , in my view, a really good player who's only getting better. Mitro and him deserve a chance to gel together. I'd rather play our actual players than someone whos probably not going to be here next season , and think Mitro Perez are more likely to score the goals we need.

Perez is quoted as saying RW is his preferred position also, I don't see why we've stuck with Sissoko tbh. Perez on right, Mitro up front now we've got effectively 4 strikers on the books.

Much prefer Perez on the right though, but he seems handy playing behind the striker too.

When did Perez say that? This is the first time I've heard it mentioned.

And it you want to play players who are still going to be here next season you might have a much reduced squad to pick from ;)

Its true David , it was his coach that said he could play anywhere, and him that added that rm is probably his "best" position. Prob got it in my favourites at home, it was a hell of an article, it made him out to be one of the national teams future heroes.

And yeah DK, good point about "next season". We'll stay up though I hope, even with McClaren and the "old way" of club structure I still held hope of us not being quite shit enough.

btw - I'm going to chance my arm and say hes going to play 3 at the back (or 5 with two higher wing backs). I'm glad I'm not manager though as I've too many possibles on the left.

Taylor, Colo/Dummet, Mbemba / Colback

Janmaat Aarons / Mbemba

Tiote / Anita/ Colback

Perez / Gino Shelvey Townsend / anyone else but Gouffran.

Mitrovic - Gino / Perez

Edited by scoobos