Kluivert offers to coach Toon strikers

Jimbo

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-barcelona-ajax-star-makes-11056251?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Patrick Kluivert has offered to help Newcastle United’s shot-shy strikers and would be interested in joining Rafa Benitez’s coaching team.

The former United striker scored 13 goals for the Magpies in the 2004/05 season after joining from Barcelona.

The Dutchman has given the thumbs up to Benitez and feels he could help the likes of Aleksandar Mitrovic, Ayoze Perez and Papiss Cisse get back on the goal trail.

He said: “They are struggling at the moment. It’s not nice to see a club where you played having such struggles.

“If they come (to me for help) I am always happy to speak with them because Newcastle United always stays in my heart.

“If you have played for a club, you would like to help them.”

And he feels that Benitez can turn things around on Tyneside.

Speaking to Ominisport he said: “Newcastle is a great club with great players.

“Every year they succeed in buying good players, but every club needs a good team and if you are a team you can shine as an individual.

“Rafael Benitez is a good trainer, he has shown that at various clubs.

“I know him quite well. He’s a trainer who likes to look at the statistics.

“If he is a good trainer for Newcastle, we will see. I think that he can bring them out of the relegation, that’s really what I think.”

The former Ajax star has previously coached Holland, AZ Alkmaar and NEC.

Jesus, where has he crawled out from? One of the most talented players we've ever had, genuinely world class for a few years, but well past his best when he got here. As soon as we saw the size on him you knew what was coming. Having said that, he still had the best first touch I've seen from a Newcastle player, up there with beardsley and shearer

Him and Bellamy seemed to work well together, seemed to have a good understanding between each other.

Yeah but that wouldn't do because the main focus of the team at that time was Shearer getting the goal scoring record.

Yeah cos he did brilliantly when here didn't he? I'd rather someone like Shearer do it (as was rumoured).

Shearer has a good coaching pedigree like. He's really learned his trade. Gets on well with the owner as well.

Yeah but that wouldn't do because the main focus of the team at that time was Shearer getting the goal scoring record.

Robson supposedly wanted to sell Shearer but was stopped by Shepherd.

I think this contributed to the poor start to the season.

It would have been interesting to see how Kluivert and Bellamy would have worked without that distraction.

i can imagine that he would command the respect of the likes of Perez and Mitro - they'll remember him more from his Barca days than his no show years for us where most weeks he played, he was trying to sweat the previous night's toxins out of his system

Robson supposedly wanted to sell Shearer but was stopped by Shepherd.

I think this contributed to the poor start to the season.

It would have been interesting to see how Kluivert and Bellamy would have worked without that distraction.

He was a great servant to the club but he wasn't even a shadow of his former self in those last couple of seasons.