Yes Gemmill...

catmag

3 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I’m fairly sure that my ding a ling was the first record I was bought. That or jungle book.

RIP

:lol: That was Chuck Berry

• Haha 7
  • Jaysus... 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

Michael Angelis. RIP

Superb in boys from the black stuff. 

Aye. The episode that focused on him, where he was married to Julie Walter's, was fucking bleak as fuck, only surpassed by the Yosser one. Terrible times. 

• Like 3

My favourite was the one where he took the old man down to the docks and he compared the pampered horses from the trooping of the colour to the ones that worked at the docks that were worked until the day they collapsed and died - "there has to be some hope" was the old man's last desperate cry.

Should have been compulsory viewing for every adult before every election in the 80s (and since).

Edited by NJS
  • Like 4

I found the contrast between BftBS and Auf Wiedersen Pet fascinating. Both from similar time periods, think the scouse one was slightly earlier, both from similar areas, reporting on the societal situation of the time. Bleasdale perfectly captured the zietgest, framed in some very black humour. La Frenais and Clement superbly captured the regional characters, obviously had a European twist, and was frankly hilarious. I've watched the latter countless times but never really want to watch the former again much. That's a compliment to both sets of script writers. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Renton said:

I found the contrast between BftBS and Auf Wiedersen Pet fascinating. Both from similar time periods, think the scouse one was slightly earlier, both from similar areas, reporting on the societal situation of the time. Bleasdale perfectly captured the zietgest, framed in some very black humour. La Frenais and Clement superbly captured the regional characters, obviously had a European twist, and was frankly hilarious. I've watched the latter countless times but never really want to watch the former again much. That's a compliment to both sets of script writers. 

I'd definitely watch BftBS again as I watched it first as a bairn, then I saw a couple about a decade later. AWP was waay more light hearted even though it could be serious and were similar subjects and time periods. What you said, basically. :lol:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Are we about to go into a fornight of official mourning, brought to us in association with Brexit, the Gammonafia & the association for the constant and fucking on going preservation of world war two? :cuppa:

Rip Vera, she could toot a canny tune like 👍

• Haha 3

• Meenzer changed the title to Yes Gemmill...