Yes Gemmill...

catmag

RIP Jack,  every team needs a Jack :rip:

24 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Seemed a decent bloke, I wonder if his cunt brother will bother to show up at his funeral? 

There is a perception in the North East that Bobby C is indeed a cunt. I'd like the see the Geordie charge sheet against him?  🤔

I'm actually quite saddened by Charlton's death though I understand he's had dementia for a while so sometimes it's a bit of good thing if they go. 

I hated him when he was our manager, I'm honest enough to say and was glad he left. 

Then a few years later I say him speak at my mate's cricket club dinner and he mentioned that despite playing his entire club career for Leeds, there was only one club team he would get out of his seat for when they scored and that was us. 

I think the contrast with his "Mister Man United" brother was what made the comment for me. 

• Like 3

Neither Charlton played for NUFC, despite their mothers cousin, the club's greatest ever player, being sent to personally recruit them. A few years before, and a bit further south, Bobby Robson chose to join Fulham rather than the club he idolised, far more than either Charlton brother did. They were as likely to go to Roker as SJP. 

I think there's a pattern there in the 50s tbh :cuppa:

Edited by PaddockLad

I met Jack Charlton once after an away game I think at Luton. Due to knowing "fingers" I used to tickets for the players lounge. Anyway Jack strolled in and started chatting to me and my mate. He was genuinely decent. 

The really bizarre thing was though he wasn't tall at all. Afterwards we looked at each other and both said  How come he was such a shortarse?. Its baffled me ever since

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've seen him a canny bit in Kingston Park Tesco the last few years. Stood with his hands behind his back staring down at fruit and veg most of the time. Radge to think he was a world cup winner. 

He didn't look short mind. 

He let the miners in SJP for nothing when the strike was on which I'd forgotten about. Seen him out and about like Gemmill and thought it was radge as well seeing him strolling about Eldon Square not that long after the WC in Italy. He brought a NUFC team to the dome in Walker as well and everyone was just wandering amongst them and he was no bother whatsoever, it was as if it was a working men's club were playing and he was their manager. Loved his voice and him saying he'd have chinned Rijkaard if he'd spat at Jackie. :lol:

RIP big man.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

I know, makes no sense. Its possible I had a couple on board

Maybe he was sitting down. ;) He looked massive when you saw him playing for England although he wasn’t that tall by modern standards 

33 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Greatest manager in Irish history and a sound fella by the sounds of it. RIP.

I like the story (possibly apocryphal) about when he went for the Ireland job. Supposedly he saw it as part time / semi-retirement meaning he could go fishing etc. When the FAI approached him and asked about wages he’s meant to have said something along the lines of “I’m not bothered, just give me what Eoin Hand was on”. When they told him what his predecessor earned he’s meant to have said “I want a canny bit more than that”. 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

He let the miners in SJP for nothing when the strike was on which I'd forgotten about. Seen him out and about like Gemmill and thought it was radge as well seeing him strolling about Eldon Square not that long after the WC in Italy. He brought a NUFC team to the dome in Walker as well and everyone was just wandering amongst them and he was no bother whatsoever, it was as if it was a working men's club were playing and he was their manager. Loved his voice and him saying he'd have chinned Rijkaard if he'd spat at Jackie. :lol:

RIP big man.

I’m not sure playing the long ball game with Pedro and Paul Goddard up front was that great a plan mind ;) 

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

I like the story (possibly apocryphal) about when he went for the Ireland job. Supposedly he saw it as part time / semi-retirement meaning he could go fishing etc. When the FAI approached him and asked about wages he’s meant to have said something along the lines of “I’m not bothered, just give me what Eoin Hand was on”. When they told him what his predecessor earned he’s meant to have said “I want a canny bit more than that”. 

:lol: I hadn’t heard that one but I was reading earlier about how he wasn’t bothered about his wage when he managed Middlesbrough so it may well me true.

And I think he was already well on the way to semi retirement by the time he managed Newcastle.

Edited by ewerk

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

Needless to say he was a complete legend in Ireland.

I've genuinely been surprised by the reaction I've seen, obviously knew he was well thought of for doing what he did with the national team but it seems to run much deeper than that. 

8 hours ago, Alex said:

I’m not sure playing the long ball game with Pedro and Paul Goddard up front was that great a plan mind ;) 

Goddard wasn't playing for us when Charlton managed us? I take your point about his style when you had Waddle and Beardsley playing, he wasn't really for us and followed a popular manager which didn't help. Anyway, was more on about his character overall than his NUFC record when as has been mentioned he was trying to be as part time as he could? It didn't take much for him to chuck it when it comes down to it. :good:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Goddard wasn't playing for us when Charlton managed us? I take your point about his style when you had Waddle and Beardsley playing, he wasn't really for us and followed a popular manager which didn't help. Anyway, was more on about his character overall than his NUFC record when as has been mentioned he was trying to be as part time as he could? It didn't take much for him to chuck it when it comes down to it. :good:

Who signed Goddard? McFaul? Agree about the character of the man. My dad met him a couple of times and he sounds like he was a very approachable, down to earth bloke. 

38 minutes ago, Alex said:

Who signed Goddard? McFaul? Agree about the character of the man. My dad met him a couple of times and he sounds like he was a very approachable, down to earth bloke. 

McFaul bought Goddard when we were in serious relegation trouble and he kept us up. Heard Darren Jackson praising him to the hilt the other day on Wraith's YouTube show. Was a good listen to be fair even if you discount friend of the krays, Steve. ;)

6 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

McFaul bought Goddard when we were in serious relegation trouble and he kept us up. Heard Darren Jackson praising him to the hilt the other day on Wraith's YouTube show. Was a good listen to be fair even if you discount friend of the krays, Steve. ;)

That season Goddard kept us up, was that where he broke (or maybe equalled) the then record for scoring in consecutive league games? Think it was Len White’s record. Seem to remember the dulcet tones of mackem-loving Charles Harrison going on about that at the time (might’ve been a subsequent season) 

12 minutes ago, Alex said:

That season Goddard kept us up, was that where he broke (or maybe equalled) the then record for scoring in consecutive league games? Think it was Len White’s record. Seem to remember the dulcet tones of mackem-loving Charles Harrison going on about that at the time (might’ve been a subsequent season) 

No, you're right, it was that relegation fight year - I think he equalled it and it was 7 games. 

The record was later broken by Sir Les in 95.

• Like 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Yes Gemmill...