Yes Gemmill...

catmag

36 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

:lol: I think we missed it 4 years ago too. 

Quite right too! Gene Wilder just died and it’s all “look at me, look at me, it’s my birthday”. Contemptible lack of respect !!

29 minutes ago, Alex said:

One of my earliest sporting memories is being allowed to stay up and watch Marvin Hagler beat the shit out of him. RIP 

And then get hundreds of chairs chucked at him. 

Edit; my memory is playing tricks- it was bottles and cans, the upturned chairs I remember where the ringside media and officials using them to protect their heads from the idiots. 

• Like 2

I was 12 when he fought Hagler, I watched it at my uncles. 
He was a huge boxing fan, and I recall him saying Hagler would massacre him beforehand, which me and my cousin were having none of :lol:

Shameful night what happened afterwards, but clinical from Hagler. 

• Like 3

:rip:

If you read Minters book he says after being in the ring with the elite of his generation the hardest punch he ever took was thrown by a Royal Marine from Poole when they were both amateurs :lol:

https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/283555

Leo Toms is my mates dad, also Leo. Senior ended up in charge of boxing for all of the Royal Navy and runs Poole ABC, was still good mates with Minter. Junior boxed for England schoolboys, got twatted by a welsh lad and didn’t go back. He then joined the marines, where on the first day of basic training he had various senior NCOs turning up to the parade ground shouting “WHICH ONES FAACKIN LEOS BOY???!!!” who then physically assaulted him in front of his new comrades. He didn’t go back. 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

:rip:

If you read Minters book he says after being in the ring with the elite of his generation the hardest punch he ever took was thrown by a Royal Marine from Poole when they were both amateurs :lol:

https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/283555

Leo Toms is my mates dad, also Leo. Senior ended up in charge of boxing for all of the Royal Navy and runs Poole ABC, was still good mates with Minter. Junior boxed for England schoolboys, got twatted by a welsh lad and didn’t go back. He then joined the marines, where on the first day of basic trading he had various senior NCOs turning up to the parade ground shouting “WHICH ONES FAACKIN LEOS BOY???!!!” and then physically assaulted him in front of his new comrades. He didn’t go back. 

Could've been worse, he could've been FAACKIN CORBYN'S BOY???!!!. :lol:

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I was 12 when he fought Hagler, I watched it at my uncles. 
He was a huge boxing fan, and I recall him saying Hagler would massacre him beforehand, which me and my cousin were having none of :lol:

Shameful night what happened afterwards, but clinical from Hagler. 

Was stoked by Minter with his comments that no black man was going to take his title iirc. Not much to suggest he was s big racist, I guess those comments were a product of their time / some I’ll advised ‘promotion’. It was a proper world title back then in a very tough division. Even European titles were hard to come by 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Meenzer changed the title to Yes Gemmill...