Yes Gemmill...

catmag

• 2 weeks later...

Ah man, what a bummer. 
Van Halen were one of my favourite bands when I was a young shaver, their album Diver Down was the soundtrack to an incredible summer spent camping and climbing in the Lakes with my mates and our girlfriends. 
Eddie was a phenomenal player, not just at the fiddly-diddly stuff he’s famous for- he had some knockout riffs and their albums up to and including 1984 showed a huge variety of styles. 
This is one of my favourite VH songs, which instantly takes me back to the care-free summer in Borrowdale, climbing and shagging :lol:

RIP Eddie, fucking legend. 

( We’ll diplomatically say nowt about the post-Dave Lee Roth band ;) ). 

• Like 2

I knew he did the guitar line on Michael Jackson’s Beat It.... I didn’t know he did it for nothing (sorry, a crate of beer) he did it in one take or that the legendary Quincy Jones let him rearrange the song :lol:

• Like 2

As a guitar player EVH was the tits. 

The very tits & I don’t think I’ll have met many people who’ve picked up a guitar who weren’t influenced by him.

Rest in peace 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Love the arrogance of telling your band that the name you have chosen for the group is your own surname. Respect. RIP

:lol:
Tbf, half the band was called Van Halen, as his brother Alex was the drummer. 

10 hours ago, Tom said:

As a guitar player EVH was the tits. 

The very tits & I don’t think I’ll have met many people who’ve picked up a guitar who weren’t influenced by him.

Rest in peace 

I must be alone as I was never influenced by EVH or any of the 80s cock rock guitarists.

It's sad he died at just 65 and I hope he RIP - throat cancer is no way to go.

Just now, sammynb said:

I must be alone as I was never influenced by EVH or any of the 80s cock rock guitarists.

It's sad he died at just 65 and I hope he RIP - throat cancer is no way to go.

Aye, I've genuinely never tried to listen to Van Halen cos I just don't like that kind of music. Not denying he was a ludicrous player and an innovator, just not my thing at all. 

I'd always thought of him in the same way as Yngwie Malmsteen - very good technically but producing music/songs that didn't really appeal to me. 

I do see his influence in Randy Rhoads who I did really like and there have been some good tributes from other people I like like Tony Iommi  which suggest he was a decent bloke as well. 

RIP. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Aye, I've genuinely never tried to listen to Van Halen cos I just don't like that kind of music. Not denying he was a ludicrous player and an innovator, just not my thing at all. 

Fucking hell Scott something we agree on. :flowers:

I’m often in the mood to listen to Eddie Van Halen but rarely in the mood to listen to David Lee Roth, so I just end up listening to Paul Gilbert instead.

• Like 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Yes Gemmill...