Yes Gemmill...

catmag

On 10/7/2020 at 16:19, Tom said:

I’m often in the mood to listen to Eddie Van Halen but rarely in the mood to listen to David Lee Roth, so I just end up listening to Paul Gilbert instead.

I'm with you Tom. Paul Gilbert is my goto for guitar wankery these days. Just the right balance of cheese and chops. That said I could never be arsed with Mr Big. He's a massive and pretty vocal fan of one of your lots own lads, Ginger Wildheart from South Shields. 

Back to EVH, I honestly can't ever remember choosing to stick on a Van Halen album but I'd be lying through my teeth if I said he'd never influenced my guitar playing. More than half of the nonsense I listen to and obsess over probably wouldnt exist if it weren't for Eddie.

2 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

I'm with you Tom. Paul Gilbert is my goto for guitar wankery these days. Just the right balance of cheese and chops. That said I could never be arsed with Mr Big. He's a massive and pretty vocal fan of one of your lots own lads, Ginger Wildheart from South Shields. 

Back to EVH, I honestly can't ever remember choosing to stick on a Van Halen album but I'd be lying through my teeth if I said he'd never influenced my guitar playing. More than half of the nonsense I listen to and obsess over probably wouldnt exist if it weren't for Eddie.

Terrible claim to fame time. My first guitar teacher was Danny McCormack who fucked off to play bass with the Wildhearts. My second guitar teacher was his younger brother Chris who played guitar in Three Colours Red, and last I checked is Gary Numan's guitar teacher. 

End of boring story. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Terrible claim to fame time. My first guitar teacher was Danny McCormack who fucked off to play bass with the Wildhearts. My second guitar teacher was his younger brother Chris who played guitar in Three Colours Red, and last I checked is Gary Numan's guitar teacher. 

End of boring story. 

Better than any any of my claims to fame. I love the Wildhearts, especially Danny. That first Yo-Yos album is brilliant. 

Chris McCormack on the other hand isn't all that popular up this way. 3CR weren't bad (very "of their time" to be fair) and Chris ended up the main guy to speak to for gigs at the Ironworks up in Inverness. From what I gather was fairly likeable until he got involved with organising the Skye music festival. Now he's largely blamed for pissing the festival budget up the wall and the main reason there's no longer a Skye music festival. 

Don't quote me on that. 

Was it The Wildhearts that had a feud with that little tit Alan Robson? Culminating in one of them starting on him on air? 

Edited by Alex

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Was it The Wildhearts that had a feud with that little tit Alan Robson? Culminating in one of them starting on him on air? 

That was Venom- South Shields’ finest purveyors of Black Metal. :lol:

edit; found it. 

Tbf, it sounds like a pack of cunts acting the cunt to a cunt. 

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

That was Venom- South Shields’ finest purveyors of Black Metal. :lol:

edit; found it. 

Tbf, it sounds like a pack of cunts acting the cunt to a cunt. 

That’s the one. Cunt on cunt crime :D 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Better than any any of my claims to fame. I love the Wildhearts, especially Danny. That first Yo-Yos album is brilliant. 

Chris McCormack on the other hand isn't all that popular up this way. 3CR weren't bad (very "of their time" to be fair) and Chris ended up the main guy to speak to for gigs at the Ironworks up in Inverness. From what I gather was fairly likeable until he got involved with organising the Skye music festival. Now he's largely blamed for pissing the festival budget up the wall and the main reason there's no longer a Skye music festival. 

Don't quote me on that. 

I haven't seen either of them in 30 years, so don't worry about me quoting you! 

On 15/10/2020 at 20:16, Blastronaut said:

Yeh Gilbert is good fun & he’s not massively big headed. He’s got a genuine passion for teaching & informing. Plus he can shred like mad & his best tracks have no singing. 

I think everyone’s went down the route of the Van Halen tapping thing at some point :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...

Nobby Stiles, 78 

The phrase "working class hero" seems like an 20th century cliche in these times, but to me he epitomised the ordinary lad who was worshipped by millions. RIP Nobby, they'll never be another like you...

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 1

Aye, one the rare ones when you feel genuinely saddened to hear of his passing for me. 

Can’t imagine any footballer today who’d be prepared to be seen with no front either :lol:

RIP to a proper legend. 

• Like 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Yes Gemmill...