Yes Gemmill...

catmag

11 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Norm MacDonald :( 

This has been a shite few weeks for celebrity deaths, mind

E_RmB2dXsAY60NB?format=jpg&name=large

One of those comedians I'm aware of but never seen in action but seems to have influenced an entire generation of comedians that I have.

12 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Norm MacDonald :( 

This has been a shite few weeks for celebrity deaths, mind

32 minutes ago, ewerk said:

E_RmB2dXsAY60NB?format=jpg&name=large

One of those comedians I'm aware of but never seen in action but seems to have influenced an entire generation of comedians that I have.

I loved him, but he was comedy Marmite. 

Here’s his moth joke, which gets me every time, even when I know it’s coming. 

36 minutes ago, The Mighty Hog said:

Mine too. Ghostbusters, Curse of Sherwood and a weird Batman game that didn't really have anything to do with anything Batman were always being played

Attic attack, manic minor, dizzy, paper boy, school daze, tracksuit manager, killed until dead, head over heels, uridium were among my personal faves.

It was magic at the time, even though you had to wait half an hour for each game to load and there was always the chance it would crash and youd have to fire up the tape deck loader again. 

RebelStar. An absolutely amazing turn based strategy game which i can still play today, spent hours playing the 2 player mode at uni. I don't know how they crammed that into 48k. The detail was such i even got Captain Krenon killl a technian with a lawn mower.

Think i completed all the Ultimate games that you could. Atic Atac, sabre wulf, knigh lore. Lunar jet man, got to insane levels. The hobbit. Thorin sits down and sings about gold.... Pffff, you can keep your PS5 and Fifa 2021, we had Match Day by Ocean.

• Haha 1

Totally forgot, went into a greasy spoon a few weeks ago in Wallsend and they had this arcade machine and it was playing the star wars death Star game that was on the spectrum. :lol: The clientele were definitely hills have eyes/craggy island extras and the owners no different so the machine's probably been there since it was first out. (The sarnies were canny to be fair and fairly cheap. They don't take cards, naturally). :lol:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Speaking of Ocean Software, everyone of a certain age will remember Daley Thompson’s Decathlon but died any one else recall playing Mr Wimpy? 

Yeah, i played every spectrum game in history I think. Normally pirated. In later years, you had to know exactly when to pull out the mic lead to evade the anti-piracy sound test. But if you had a shit tape player, or sometimes even the inbuilt one, you were fucked even for originals. So frustrating.

Iirc Daley Thompson was white too. 

Bitmap Books make excellent visual compendiums and histories of consoles like the Spectrum if you old-timers want to go down a nostalgia hole. Full of stories and behind the scenes chat if you’re like me and like hearing how these mentalists managed to find shortcuts around the limitations by soldering circuits together and all sorts 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Did anybody have the Shakin Stevens game that came on side 2 of the cassette version of his album, The Bop Won't Stop? 

No I didn't think you'd be cool enough. Obviously I was. 

I remember a game based on the Thompson Twins that came on a flexible 7 inch single. Freebie with C&VG, worth £35 now apparently.

Never got the fucker to work, spent hours trying. I now know why. FFS! The shit we went through. :lol:

Installation

To begin playing The Thompson Twins Adventure a player must transfer the game data from the flexi disc to the microcomputer (ZX Spectrum or Commodore 64). This can be accomplished in two ways. For both ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64 the recommended method involves making an intermediate 331⁄3 rpm recording from the flexi disc onto an audio cassette which will then be used to transfer the data to the microcomputer via its cassette connector.[3][8][9] For the Spectrum version, a player can instead choose to transfer game data directly to the microcomputer without using an audio cassette intermediate. Using this method, the record player's headphone socket must be connected directly to the Spectrum's "ear" port via wire leads.[3] A preamplifier is required, and the speakers should be turned off. For both methods, playback volume of the record player must be carefully monitored to ensure that the recording meter stays roughly halfway across the range (i.e. with a VU meter value of +2).[3] The Commodore version cannot be transferred without the audio cassette intermediate, and Computer and Video Games recommended that Commodore users listen to a sample of another cassette-based Commodore game on speakers and to adjust the recording volume for The Thompson Twins Adventure to match it.[3] Data transfer is a delicate procedure that can be disrupted by background noise, scratches, and other audio-fidelity problems.[8] In some cases it may be necessary to re-record the game data more than once at different recording levels to correctly transfer it to the microcomputer.[3]

• Haha 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Yes Gemmill...