Yes Gemmill...

catmag

i got the spectrum in the mid 80s when it was state of the art, competing with the c64, then everyone started getting the amigas and atari sts in and the spectrum started to look pretty basic. we held on to ours for fucking years, but then i got the super nintendo not long after it came out and suddenly i was the most popular kid in school :lol:

7 minutes ago, Kitman said:

I vaguely remember someone at school having a bbc computer, with a space game called elite but could have that wrong. Seems odd for the bbc to have had its brand on a computer 

No, that's right. It was used to generate the graphics for kids TV. It had a decent keyboard but otherwise was a bit shit for games, part from Elite which was amazing. Very expensive too, for posh kids only. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i got the spectrum in the mid 80s when it was state of the art, competing with the c64, then everyone started getting the amigas and atari sts in and the spectrum started to look pretty basic. we held on to ours for fucking years, but then i got the super nintendo not long after it came out and suddenly i was the most popular kid in school :lol:

I got the Spectrum 16k back in 82, the classic with the rubber dead fish keyboard. Later took it apart to upgrade it to a massive 48k. Kids used to argue about which was best. Technically, the C64 was. But the speccy just had better games. 

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

I got the Spectrum 16k back in 82, the classic with the rubber dead fish keyboard. Later took it apart to upgrade it to a massive 48k. Kids used to argue about which was best. Technically, the C64 was. But the speccy just had better games. 

ah, the 48k with separate tape deck loader. the integrated tape deck in the 128k plus 2 was state of the art in comparison :lol:

it's funny to show young kids today the technology we grew up with. my 10 year old can't get his head around the idea that i grew up before the internet and mobile phones. he almost pissed himself laughing when i showed him a picture of a sony walkman and tried to explain how it worked

Edited by Dr Gloom

2 hours ago, Renton said:

No, that's right. It was used to generate the graphics for kids TV. It had a decent keyboard but otherwise was a bit shit for games, part from Elite which was amazing. Very expensive too, for posh kids only. 

Elite:Dangerous is the reimagining for the new generation. I tried it and it baffled me at the best of times so watching you lot try will be like watching a dog trying to do a card trick.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

We didn’t have a spectrum we had this Atari… did that make us ultra cool or utter pond life? 🤔

72C717DD-199C-4115-B9A1-FC63E9C3B91A.jpeg

It meant you were playing slightly different versions of the same games using different hardware. I had a Commodore 64. 

The differences in the games were ridiculous sometimes. Especially for arcade ports like Pac-Man where the entire maze is completely different because of the limitations. And then you have the blatant rip offs of things like Mario Bros that random blokes would make in their bedrooms to try and make a bit of cash before anyone noticed. Things like KONGO KONG http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=4183&d=18&h=0

18 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

Totally forgot, went into a greasy spoon a few weeks ago in Wallsend and they had this arcade machine and it was playing the star wars death Star game that was on the spectrum. :lol: The clientele were definitely hills have eyes/craggy island extras and the owners no different so the machine's probably been there since it was first out. (The sarnies were canny to be fair and fairly cheap. They don't take cards, naturally). :lol:

Where might this establishment be exactly...?

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Renton said:

Haha thanks

4 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I think everyone needs to remember that 20 years ago was 2001 :lol: it’ll be considerably older than that

1983! Nearly 40 years ago! Christ, and I remember it coming out like it was yesterday. It was a great game. An upright cabinet of it will cost more than a grand I reckon. 

13 hours ago, Renton said:

1983! Nearly 40 years ago! Christ, and I remember it coming out like it was yesterday. It was a great game. An upright cabinet of it will cost more than a grand I reckon. 

More like £3k these days. The vector monitors are also a nightmare to keep working so I'm dubious it's still going after 40 years.

17 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

:lol:

J69’s going to stride in there and give it some David Dickinson with hard cash. 

“ It’s over twenty years old, the most I’ll give you is £150…”    
* sweat breaks out in his top lip 

:lol: :lol:

'sweat breaks out in his top lip'

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

Wallsend high street. Don't know the name of the cafe but it's more or less opposite The Ship.*

*The Ship is a beer bar. :good:

36F480E3-5F40-4FB5-8829-6218E5C25DE9.thumb.png.395b1a69dfc7d615aab6c2d05d3e287a.png

49D3F825-F194-49CB-BCC0-C5B772AF3C61.jpeg.c1822db669eafab36104e80e20dab688.jpeg

CBF5EEFD-73E5-4DFA-AB99-93246879BBEA.thumb.jpeg.9c8dc4b2634585b3d6e04c686e74589d.jpeg

Am I getting warm? My guess is a converted confidential mission cab with a multigame board inside. Disappointing outcome 

4A7EC9A7-B8F6-4E94-AB19-086A83504BE8.thumb.jpeg.db61c749c8bb2290b567da068919d6de.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I know that because I think “what a shit hole, I bet only Toontastic’s proper scruffs would get a sandwich in there” when I go past

:lol:

It was all I could think of when the sandwich shop near it, option two, had too big a queue and my first option, 'Vinnies' was shut when I drove there and I had a hangover hanking for a sarnie so swallowed my pride and went in. 

• Haha 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Yes Gemmill...