Yes Gemmill...

catmag

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

we live in such an odd country. drives me mad how we're prescribed this shit. we're being told how we must feel and most people are too scared to say how they really feel about it it. 

look, an old woman died. that's always sad. but do me a fucking favour with this period of national mourning bullshit. 

The woman was head of state for 70 years. I think a period of mourning is to be expected. But it should stop after today up until her funeral. Life goes on for the rest of us, no one actually benefits from an extended shutdown of things.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

we live in such an odd country. drives me mad how we're prescribed this shit. we're being told how we must feel and most people are too scared to say how they really feel about it it. 

look, an old woman died. that's always sad. but do me a fucking favour with this period of national mourning bullshit. 

That's it for me.

'The country is deeply saddend'

No. It's sad yes.  She came across as a decent human being.  However she was 96 years old and I have zero emotional attachment to her. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

They'll use the "mourning" angle to shut down any debate about the future when before the coronation would be a good time.

I mean I don't expect any consensus for change but maybe people whose forlocks remain untugged could be heard from just once.

That's obviously without any sense of celebration that the woman has died of course. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Help me, I'm already flagging here lads, I don't think I can last the full 10 days without LOSING MY SHIT. I like to listen to the radio whilst I wfh, and R5 is predictably back to back coverage telling me the queen is dead. Repeating the same shit over and over. Fair enough, but then ALL the other radio staions are doing it, and playing mournful shit slow shit ballads in between. To make matters worse I've cancelled my music streaming services to save money, guess I'll have to sign up again. 

I love the way we are getting no time off work but anything remotely joyful is cancelled. Get yourself to graft, but we don't care whether your a republican or not, you're not watching football. The fate of the Great North Run is still in the balance. If that is cancelled it's a sign this country is truly insane, no different ot Argentina and Eva Peron. 60,000 runners, most of whom have been training for months. All the cancelled transport, hotels, and money raised for charity, gone. It won't be possible to rearrange it. Fucking madness even considering cancelling this. 

@Renton not sure what you are listening too atm but can I offer up a few streaming alternatives?

KEXP - Community station out of Seattle, plays a lot of great music and there will probably be some stuff you haven't heard. You can either listen live or to the numerous on demand shows they have. Definitely not geoblocked.

Double J - this is the "older" version of the Austalian Youth Network Triple J. It's basically 90stastic with a bunch of new releases aimed at that same demographic, so you. I don't think it is geoblocked.

Bandcamp great resource for bands/music labels and the like. You can search what's new, genre, even find my page which will lead you all the shite I've bought on there and you can enjoy my music taste.

Mixcloud again search by genre, artist, etc. Start with a search for Soho radio and you will get a bunch of great shows from the London station but uploaded by the presenters themselves. Here's one to get you started

Hope that helps. Don't forget there is that resource of all those John Peel shows that I posted a few years ago - that will keep you going for the month of mourning.

Edited by sammynb
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, strawb said:

Got a message on LinkedIn.

Do yourselves a favour and don’t go on LinkedIn 

What was it? "Job vacancy: ruling monarch of UK and head of commonwealth. Click this link to apply"> 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I had to look this up, unbelieveable we will spunk this much money cos the boss has retired. Good job Truss has found the money forest.

https://news.sky.com/story/queens-death-what-needs-to-change-now-from-money-to-post-boxes-and-the-national-anthem-12692998#

They should probably put a pin in that one and wait until William succeeds him as we'll have to do it all again in about 5 years... probably.

Most people don’t really give a shit imo. Beyond it being an historically significant moment. Lots of people do of course, and that is fine. It’s the way it’s presented that you have to be deeply affected that bugs me. Not least by the ‘free speech’ advocates 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I mean, come on. :lol: 

This utter nonsense is actually quite dangerous though, it shows the same lack of critical thinking that has led the UK into the place it is now. People are morons. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrBass said:

They should probably put a pin in that one and wait until William succeeds him as we'll have to do it all again in about 5 years... probably.

:lol:

Our banknotes should have this on.

image.png.e72220b24b6a3cbf0be2313ece719c63.png

• Haha 5

"civilian dress is expected to be dark with black ties for men and black dress for women"

Until 7 days after her as yet undefined funeral.

Time for my long-awaited goth phase.  

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Alex said:

Most people don’t really give a shit imo. Beyond it being an historically significant moment. Lots of people do of course, and that is fine. It’s the way it’s presented that you have to be deeply affected that bugs me. Not least by the ‘free speech’ advocates 

Yeh I've spoken to a lot of people who've genuinely found it quite exciting in a historical sense and fair play.

Im probably not far off myself, in reality I have a lot of my own problems to worry about so I'm not really too bothered if a 96 y/o I've never met and wouldn't be allowed to meet, dies.

Plus some of the #content has been absolutely class. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trophyshy said:

"civilian dress is expected to be dark with black ties for men and black dress for women"

Until 7 days after her as yet undefined funeral.

Time for my long-awaited goth phase.  

Shows how mental Charles is that he thinks the country should just go into its shell for the next 3 weeks or whatever. It's just as well Truss got her energy announcement out yesterday or we might be waiting another few weeks for that. 

Just now, wykikitoon said:

I think we are all aware of the historic moment it is.  But being constantly told the country is 'deeply saddened' is beyond me. 

Agreed. I've heard fucking NOWT in the press about me getting covid and honestly I haven't felt great the last few days. 

• Haha 4

• Meenzer changed the title to Yes Gemmill...