Yes Gemmill...

catmag

50 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Apparently he specifically wants the ceremony to reflect Britain's ethnic diversity. The Daily Mail lot will be so conflicted. :lol:

He’s going to turn up in blackface, and a Rasta wig, isn’t he? 

• Haha 4

49 minutes ago, Howay said:

:lol: Gammon raaaaaage 

There’s probably some people tweeting some unnecessary things and not making themselves look great but at least they’re sincere. Unlike twats like Clarkson and all the other ones pretending they’re grief stricken. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I won't sing it Queen or King on principle. Make it Jerusalem or something and maybe.

Jerusalem is melodically much superior but is pure religious gibberish lyrically isn’t it? Jesus visiting England? Mormon levels of bollocks. Make it England's anthem maybe, I don't care, I've given up on this country for the time being.

I will never sing God Save the King. 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Jerusalem is melodically much superior but is pure religious gibberish lyrically isn’t it? Jesus visiting England? Mormon levels of bollocks. Make it England's anthem maybe, I don't care, I've given up on this country for the time being.

I will never sing God Save the King. 

Agreed but at least it's not elevating a living person to godhood over and above the rest of us.

43 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

You know I don't think this new God Save the King thing is going to catch on. Just seems daft

I know for a fact that even though I have sung the national anthem in the past, I  am never singing God save the King

I won't call him anything other than Charles.

• Like 1

I've sung it at medal ceremonies at the athletics and things like that. In that context I see it less as being about what the words are saying and more just a general :yes: thing for a Brit having won something.

It helps that the anthem is so pathetically short and lame that it's over before you've had time to really think about it.

I'd definitely have no problem with us doing a Spain and changing to a wordless anthem, mind. Probably be a lot less problematic all round. 

The anthem is offensive to me on several levels and I make a point of never standing for it let alone singing it. 

Caliing on a deity I don't believe in (but just one to the exclusion of the others citizens might follow) to protect a person born to that role by notional descent (they ran out of direct descendents of William I and had to bring in a German branch to keep the thing going) is a non-starter. 

No celebration of the people or country or sense of commonality as others have. 

"Born to reign over us" / "long to reign over us"  _ a change made to the latter as that's somehow better when it's the "reign over us" that's the problem - this also backs the point I made earlier that they don't "serve us" - they rule us. 

If I was Scottish I'd also love "rebellious Scots to quell" - there's a rallying call for independence right there in the national fucking anthem. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, NJS said:

The anthem is offensive to me on several levels and I make a point of never standing for it let alone singing it. 

Caliing on a deity I don't believe in (but just one to the exclusion of the others citizens might follow) to protect a person born to that role by notional descent (they ran out of direct descendents of William I and had to bring in a German branch to keep the thing going) is a non-starter. 

No celebration of the people or country or sense of commonality as others have. 

"Born to reign over us" / "long to reign over us"  _ a change made to the latter as that's somehow better when it's the "reign over us" that's the problem - this also backs the point I made earlier that they don't "serve us" - they rule us. 

If I was Scottish I'd also love "rebellious Scots to quell" - there's a rallying call for independence right there in the national fucking anthem. 

Agree with all of that, additionally, it’s an absolute dirge of a tune.

If Charlie is serious about celebrating our diversity, he’ll dump this abomination and commission an instrumental by Dappy and whatever is left of UB40. 

• Haha 3

I must say I am laughing my tits off this morning.

My Brother In Law who I love to bits gets a bit confused at times.  He was saying it wasn't mad that sport was cancelled etc and its the right thing to do.  This morning on the family WhatsApp group he's kicking off as he can't buy his Christmas tickets for a local event as they've postponed the sale out of respect.

These people are all the same.  Until it has an impact on them eh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Someone my lass works with was meant to be going travelling round Italy for a couple of weeks. She’s cancelled and gone to stay with her cousin in Hertfordshire so she can see the Queen lying in state and see the funeral procession. Absolutely fucking mental :lol: 

• Haha 8

• Meenzer changed the title to Yes Gemmill...