Yes Gemmill...

catmag

15 minutes ago, Renton said:

P{ray for @Meenzer and his park running. :(

:lol: Yep, Southwark parkrun has taken the hint and has now cancelled already. We shall welcome the overspill with open arms at Hilly Fields tomorrow (while remaining duly respectful of Liz and her desire to have lots of people shuffle past her slowly).

See, I thought this queue would peter out after the first wave of lunatics had passed. Apparently in Edinburgh you could just walk in off the street near the end. But, no. It's going to get even more crazy as we hit the weekend and the deadline to see big box draped in flag approaches. 

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

See, I thought this queue would peter out after the first wave of lunatics had passed. Apparently in Edinburgh you could just walk in off the street near the end. But, no. It's going to get even more crazy as we hit the weekend and the deadline to see big box draped in flag approaches. 

wife and i were talking about it last night - what are these people getting out of it? she suggested some people might be motivated by the selfie/instagram opportunity, but, having seen the people in the queue, it didn't look like that demographic to me. it was mainly people aged 50+

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

wife and i were talking about it last night - what are these people getting out of it? she suggested some people might be motivated by the selfie/instagram opportunity, but, having seen the people in the queue, it didn't look like that demographic to me. it was mainly people aged 50+

Some of it is weird self flagellation. One woman interviewed said she was glad she had sore feet as it was a sign of respect to the Queen.

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 3
  • Jaysus... 1

8 minutes ago, Renton said:

Some of it is weird self flagellation. One woman interviewed said she was glad she had sore feet as it was a sign of respect to the Queen.

it is absolutely bizarre behaviour like

Thing is, people are using this as some kind of evidence there is strong support for the monarchy. But even if a million queue, that's still less than 2% of the population, leaving 98% of people not being interviewed or represented by the BBC et al. I think the large majority of that 98% are either completely ambivalent or bemused by what is happening. I'm not sure this current lunacy will help the monarchy in the future though. 

• Like 3

Ian Dunt uncharacteristically talking utter shit on R5 here. He's always (surprisingly) been some what of a lukewarm royalist but this is disappointing, him joining this charade. And he didn't say fucking or cunt once. 

Just to briefly indulge my inner nihilist, IMO people are desperate to find meaning in their lives/can't cope with the reality that nothing particularly matters and so assign undue respect/attention/importance to cultural nonsense like this. The fact that many others are doing the same becomes validating and so by the end of it, they feel like they've been part of something meaningful. They're all enabling each other's delusion and I doubt many of them gave two hoots about the royal family before this.

It is what it is though. Maybe they're the smart ones for believing there is meaning in anything at all tbh, I do wonder this sometimes.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Just to briefly indulge my inner nihilist, IMO people are desperate to find meaning in their lives/can't cope with the reality that nothing particularly matters and so assign undue respect/attention/importance to cultural nonsense like this. The fact that many others are doing the same becomes validating and so by the end of it, they feel like they've been part of something meaningful. They're all enabling each other's delusion and I doubt many of them gave two hoots about the royal family before this.

It is what it is though. Maybe they're the smart ones for believing in the meaning anything at all tbh, I do wonder this sometimes.

Maybe. I don't see the allure of belonging to such a large heterogeneous group though. Why not narrow it down a bit and actually get some pleasure from your tribal loyalties. That's what football* is for.

* Other sports, bands etc, may be applicable. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Maybe. I don't see the allure of belonging to such a large heterogeneous group though. Why not narrow it down a bit and actually get some pleasure from your tribal loyalties. That's what football* is for.

* Other sports, bands etc, may be applicable. 

Fair - I have to admit, football is a bit of a guilty pleasure on that front for me. I've not managed to attach myself strongly to the national side in this respect but I am fiercely proud of Newcastle, both the team and the city. I know it's irrational to feel such things but it also feels natural to want to belong to something. I take great pleasure in celebrating on here when we win, sharing the joy with everyone else. The misery when we lose, etc. These people have that on a larger scale as you say - maybe because they still identify with the national story in some sense - I have to admit I lost that entirely with Brexit.

I would wager more than 90% of the people queuing up for that coffin are leave voters. The only ones with a national story left to cling to.

• Like 5

When you think about it, the Royals have been ripping off the the masses for decades with their public duty crap. When it is announced there will be a royal occasion, thousands of banner waving sycophants travel from far and wide to gather outside the locked gates at Buckingham palace to stare up at a large empty balcony for hours on end. When the Royals eventually get up off their fat lazy arses and manage the few steps outside, they just stand there in a long line looking fucking gormless. All the Royals can do is stand there and stare down on the waving crowd who in turn look up waiting for one of the limp wristed cunts on the balcony to wave back. After 10 minutes and a couple of begrudging smiles and waves the Royals go back inside having fulfilled their public duty. Then all those thousands of deluded monarchists have to make their way home without getting stabbed. As gigs go, it is a pretty poor fucking show by any standards.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It is what it is though. Maybe they're the smart ones for believing there is meaning in anything at all tbh, I do wonder this sometimes.

Yes, I think that articulates it rather well. The dopey fucking cunts 

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

Yes, I think that articulates it rather well. The dopey fucking cunts 

:lol:
Aye, either they’re searching for some kind beacon of hope in this meaningless existence, or they’re thick as whale spunk and do what the Mail/Sun tells them. 

I doubt it’s the first. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Meenzer changed the title to Yes Gemmill...