Yes Gemmill...

catmag

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Fair - I have to admit, football is a bit of a guilty pleasure on that front for me. I've not managed to attach myself strongly to the national side in this respect but I am fiercely proud of Newcastle, both the team and the city. I know it's irrational to feel such things but it also feels natural to want to belong to something. I take great pleasure in celebrating on here when we win, sharing the joy with everyone else. The misery when we lose, etc. These people have that on a larger scale as you say - maybe because they still identify with the national story in some sense - I have to admit I lost that entirely with Brexit.

I would wager more than 90% of the people queuing up for that coffin are leave voters. The only ones with a national story left to cling to.

I think sometimes people set up a false dichotomy up for themselves. There is nothing wrong with having tribal loyalties (I think it is hardwired into humans) but have a more global sense of belonging. There was never a contradiction for me in considering myself all of Northumbrian (and NUFC), British, and fiercely European. Call me a citizen of the Milky Way too if you like, it's true, and I will fight thos Andomedan bastards if the need arises. 

My issue with this cult (and it is a cult) is the deference associated with it. Some of these people must realy lack self-respect. I genuinely do not consider Charles to be my better in any way, shape, or form, and never will. I'm rambling a bit here but point is, the monarchy can get fucked for me. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Renton said:

I think sometimes people set up a false dichotomy up for themselves. There is nothing wrong with having tribal loyalties (I think it is hardwired into humans) but have a more global sense of belonging. There was never a contradiction for me in considering myself all of Northumbrian (and NUFC), British, and fiercely European. Call me a citizen of the Milky Way too if you like, it's true, and I will fight thos Andomedan bastards if the need arises. 

My issue with this cult (and it is a cult) is the deference associated with it. Some of these people must realy lack self-respect. I genuinely do not consider Charles to be my better in any way, shape, or form, and never will. I'm rambling a bit here but point is, the monarchy can get fucked for me. 

As with many other things, I think we agree here.

8 minutes ago, zzub said:

When you think about it, the Royals have been ripping off the the masses for decades with their public duty crap. When it is announced there will be a royal occasion, thousands of banner waving sycophants travel from far and wide to gather outside the locked gates at Buckingham palace to stare up at a large empty balcony for hours on end. When the Royals eventually get up off their fat lazy arses and manage the few steps outside, they just stand there in a long line looking fucking gormless. All the Royals can do is stand there and stare down on the waving crowd who in turn look up waiting for one of the limp wristed cunts on the balcony to wave back. After 10 minutes and a couple of begrudging smiles and waves the Royals go back inside having fulfilled their public duty. Then all those thousands of deluded monarchists have to make their way home without getting stabbed. As gigs go, it is a pretty poor fucking show by any standards.   

:lol:

And this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why not have three queues that lead to three different coffins? Then just before the funeral have Noel Edmonds open the three coffins deal or no deal style to reveal that two of them have been holding dead tramps the entire time.

I can’t think of anything more British.

• Haha 11

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Why not have three queues that lead to three different coffins? Then just before the funeral have Noel Edmonds open the three coffins deal or no deal style to reveal that two of them have been holding dead tramps the entire time.

:lol: Do it Monty Hall style, get a representative pleb to choose a coffin, open a tramp coffin, and ask them if they wants to change their choice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

[For those that haven't heard of this and are interested in maths and probability, this is a genuinely fascinating problem]. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The local news was brutal last night like. Interviewing people who’d briefly met the queen about 20 years ago and had nothing to relate beyond her having said a couple of things. Then projecting the notion this somehow demonstrates how relatable/sincere/humorous etc she was.    

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

The queue does have a strange gravitational pull. I can feel it from South London 

Amused by the idea of queuing for 10 hours, getting to the front and going "what the Queen, nah" and binning it off

:lol: "Shite, I thought this was for the new Apple Store"

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Renton said:

:lol: Do it Monty Hall style, get a representative pleb to choose a coffin, open a tramp coffin, and ask them if they wants to change their choice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

[For those that haven't heard of this and are interested in maths and probability, this is a genuinely fascinating problem]. 

They should have Sean Lock’s corpse with a carrot. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

CookedForthrightArthropods-small.gif

ERANU!

Eranu indeed! You've won our special bullshit media prize by coming out with words similar to 'A very British... [insert bollocks here]', 'peculiarly British' or 'quintessentially British.... [Rhubarb goes here]'. 

Ewerk, you'll be transported by the Galloway Princess over the Irish sea to bonny Scotland to spend a night looking at where Queen Elizabeth the second stayed in a box for a bit before being whisked down to London on a GNER train which will be dry out of respect to Queen Elizabeth the second before being transferred by a lovely cockney cab driver to the back of the queue to see the empty coffin with a flag over it and hopefully not be charged by the driver out of respect for Queen Elizabeth the second. Terms and conditions apply. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I think perhaps we should consider making it a permanent thing, so that tourists can take part, which would also serve to educate them on British Queue Culture. 

Let's face it, she's in a lead box (well, she's allegedly in it) so it's not like she has to be stuck in the vault any time soon. 

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

Someone's absolutely desperate for a knighthood.

Or perhaps he is genuinely a royalist. :lol:

He's always come across as such to me rather than someone who is perhaps jumping on the hysterical bandwaggon.

3 minutes ago, Craig said:

Or perhaps he is genuinely a royalist. :lol:

He's always come across as such to me rather than someone who is perhaps jumping on the hysterical bandwaggon.

Should have saved his feet and queued in his palanquin. He is royalty himself, iirc. 

image.png.40f7682c3762b71d33d0bbc19548f826.png

• Haha 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Yes Gemmill...