Yes Gemmill...

catmag

19 minutes ago, NJS said:

One of the aspects of going to games in Europe I always enjoyed was visiting significant churches. The architecture and art can be breathtaking but I always spared a thought for the poor peasants who paid for them both literally and by resources not spent on the communities by the bishops/popes. 

It's a shame this has happened but the gnashing of teeth grates on me too - fuckers turning up and singing hymns being an example.

I’ve found the ‘prayer for Notre Dame’ thing doing the rounds on social media to be quite amusing. Apart from wondering what the fuck prayer is meant to achieve, surely ‘their god’ let this happen. 

• Like 2

Just now, Alex said:

I’ve found the ‘prayer for Notre Dame’ thing doing the rounds on social media to be quite amusing. Apart from wondering what the fuck prayer is meant to achieve, surely ‘their god’ let this happen. 

One of the first tweets I saw about it actually had "sending thoughts and prayers" - that universal cure all. 

3 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

They spent over a decade building the cathedral in Mainz, then they illuminated it with torches for the day of its consecration and it burnt down. Tough old business.

Prayers and thoughts for this to happen to Blackpool 

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

People are broadly helpless in this situation, and if saying prayers makes them feel better then that's what it achieves. Maybe they can even point to the fact that the whole building isn't a write off as some kind of indication that their prayers were answered, and use that to find some meaning in life for a period of time.

But I do see your point - if people do believe there is a god, then why would they be so arrogant as to think that he's just sitting up there waiting for Sarah from Manchester to make a specific plea in order to jump in and save the day? In the end, the Cathedral burned down because it is a man made building for a man made religious organisation, that was set on fire through man made incompetence. God actually preventing this would have taken a Biblical level of divine intervention that would rather defeat the notion of our existence on earth being a test of faith (which is what I understand it to be, religiously speaking..).

Also, this "thoughts and prayers" shit in general. I'm sure that 99% of the people who write that have 1) never said an earnest prayer in their lives, and 2) immediately dismiss all thoughts about the issue once they've sent the tweet.

I had a teacher who admitted to praying for SAFC to win and then asked us why it was pointless - I resisted the temptation to say well obviously God hates you as much as everyone else in the world before he told us it was because someone would be praying for the opposition. We didn't get into which person was more pious and therefore deserved to have their prayers answered. 

Catholic education eh? 

1 minute ago, NJS said:

I had a teacher who admitted to praying for SAFC to win and then asked us why it was pointless - I resisted the temptation to say well obviously God hates you as much as everyone else in the world before he told us it was because someone would be praying for the opposition. We didn't get into which person was more pious and therefore deserved to have their prayers answered. 

Catholic education eh? 

:lol:

I mean it's absurd but it makes me smile that some people are satisfied with answers like this.

27 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Also, this "thoughts and prayers" shit in general. I'm sure that 99% of the people who write that have 1) never said an earnest prayer in their lives, and 2) immediately dismiss all thoughts about the issue once they've sent the tweet.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I don’t believe in god but I do appreciate a lot of religious architecture. I found the events quite tragic. You can still find human tragedy to be just that and be upset by something like this. Although it does appear that the vault is completely intact and restoration is just a matter of when rather than if. I don’t mean that as a dig at you or anything because I understand where you’re coming from 

I get that, and it's always shit when something that old is damaged, regardless of religion. 

I'm less sympathetic about the nationwide mourning for the nails and wood splinters from Jesus' crucifixion that may have been lost in the fire... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I get that, and it's always shit when something that old is damaged, regardless of religion. 

I'm less sympathetic about the nationwide mourning for the nails and wood splinters from Jesus' crucifixion that may have been lost in the fire... 

If they are actually what they claim to be, which I am extremely doubtful of, then they're still hugely culturally significant. I mean they represent something that has had a more profound impact on human civilisation than... possibly anything?

Sorry, I'm a total purist when it comes to history and historical artifacts, everything should be hoarded and saved :ninja: 

I’m very staunchly atheist, but I totally understand people being upset by this. 

It’s not just some church, it’s a national symbol, not to mention that it’s an incredible building. 

Not believing in the Big Fellow doesn’t stop me being gobsmacked every time I walk in to Durham Cathedral, for example, and I’m sure if that went up in flames we’d be equally upset. 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’m very staunchly atheist, but I totally understand people being upset by this. 

It’s not just some church, it’s a national symbol, not to mention that it’s an incredible building. 

Not believing in the Big Fellow doesn’t stop me being gobsmacked every time I walk in to Durham Cathedral, for example, and I’m sure if that went up in flames we’d be equally upset. 

Well said.

56 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling people for being upset that it's destroyed. That's perfectly reasonable. It's more the likes of Macron suspending his campaign trail etc. No ones died as far as im aware, the country doesn't need to grind to a halt (and I'm aware Macron's decision is probably more about optics). 

I'd also be gutted about Durham Cathedral if it was destroyed. But I wouldn't be off work the next day singing hymns at it. 

I think a load of businesses have pledged 1/2billion euros for repairs so far. That's also mental given the French government and Catholic Church are hardly paupers between them

Edited by Kid Dynamite

32 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Similar to the difference between a twat and an utter twat. 

:razz:

You and Gervais are worse than vegans for making sure that everyone knows what you are.

2 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling people for being upset that it's destroyed. That's perfectly reasonable. It's more the likes of Macron suspending his campaign trail etc. No ones died as far as im aware, the country doesn't need to grind to a halt (and I'm aware Macron's decision is probably more about optics). 

I'd also be gutted about Durham Cathedral if it was destroyed. But I wouldn't be off work the next day singing hymns at it. 

I think a load of businesses have pledged 1/2billion euros for repairs so far. That's also mental given the French government and Catholic Church are hardly paupers between them

All good points, particularly the last one. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Yes Gemmill...