Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I’m very staunchly atheist, but I totally understand people being upset by this. 

It’s not just some church, it’s a national symbol, not to mention that it’s an incredible building. 

Not believing in the Big Fellow doesn’t stop me being gobsmacked every time I walk in to Durham Cathedral, for example, and I’m sure if that went up in flames we’d be equally upset. 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’m very staunchly atheist, but I totally understand people being upset by this. 

It’s not just some church, it’s a national symbol, not to mention that it’s an incredible building. 

Not believing in the Big Fellow doesn’t stop me being gobsmacked every time I walk in to Durham Cathedral, for example, and I’m sure if that went up in flames we’d be equally upset. 

 

 

Well said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’m very staunchly atheist, but I totally understand people being upset by this. 

It’s not just some church, it’s a national symbol, not to mention that it’s an incredible building. 

Not believing in the Big Fellow doesn’t stop me being gobsmacked every time I walk in to Durham Cathedral, for example, and I’m sure if that went up in flames we’d be equally upset. 

 

 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling people for being upset that it's destroyed. That's perfectly reasonable. It's more the likes of Macron suspending his campaign trail etc. No ones died as far as im aware, the country doesn't need to grind to a halt (and I'm aware Macron's decision is probably more about optics). 

 

I'd also be gutted about Durham Cathedral if it was destroyed. But I wouldn't be off work the next day singing hymns at it. 

 

I think a load of businesses have pledged 1/2billion euros for repairs so far. That's also mental given the French government and Catholic Church are hardly paupers between them

Edited by Kid Dynamite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Similar to the difference between a twat and an utter twat. 

:razz:

You and Gervais are worse than vegans for making sure that everyone knows what you are.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling people for being upset that it's destroyed. That's perfectly reasonable. It's more the likes of Macron suspending his campaign trail etc. No ones died as far as im aware, the country doesn't need to grind to a halt (and I'm aware Macron's decision is probably more about optics). 

 

I'd also be gutted about Durham Cathedral if it was destroyed. But I wouldn't be off work the next day singing hymns at it. 

 

I think a load of businesses have pledged 1/2billion euros for repairs so far. That's also mental given the French government and Catholic Church are hardly paupers between them

All good points, particularly the last one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I think a load of businesses have pledged 1/2billion euros for repairs so far. That's also mental given the French government and Catholic Church are hardly paupers between them

Shame some of that money wasn't available for victims of sexual abuse by Catholic priests.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m more atheist than any of you, even Gervais, and even I felt a bit sad watching the spire fall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’m more atheist than any of you, even Gervais, and even I felt a bit sad watching the spire fall.

Would make a good debate - that makes a stronger Atheist - a Catholic or a Jew?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NJS said:

Would make a good debate - that makes a stronger Atheist - a Catholic or a Jew?

Well I’m a bit of both so I win 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A week after Billy McNeil, Steve Chalmers who scored the winner v Milan to win the European Cup for Celtic in 1967 dies at 83. Plainly one of life's good guys .....

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48090099

Czech international striker Josef Sural has been killed after a bus carrying several of Turkish club Aytemiz Alanyaspor's players crashed.

Sural, 28, died at the hospital where he and six of his team-mates were taken after a bus carrying them back from a game at Kayserispor crashed on Sunday.

Ex-Cardiff and QPR defender Steven Caulker was on the bus and is unharmed physically but emotionally distraught.

Chairman Hasan Cavusoglu claimed the driver had fallen asleep at the wheel.

A second on-board driver was also reportedly asleep when the accident happened around three miles from the club's home city of Alanya.

Cavusoglu said the six players other than Sural were not in a critical condition.

Seven of the Super Lig's club's players had rented the private minibus, while the rest of the club's players and staff travelled on a team bus or on their own.

On Twitter, the club posted: "We have learned with deep sorrow that Josef Sural lost his life as a result of an accident carrying seven football players from Alanyaspor."

Ex-Newcastle striker Papiss Cisse also plays for Alanyaspor but it is not known whether he was on board.

Sural joined Alanyaspor from Sparta Prague in January.

He made 20 appearances for his country, last featuring in their Nations League defeat by Ukraine in October.

The Football Association of the Czech Republic said news of Sural's death brought "great sorrow", adding: "We will never forget you."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


Recent tweets

Toontastic Facebook

Donate to Toontastic

Keeping the lights on since... well ages ago
TT-Staff


×