Yes Gemmill...

catmag

The Met have said that it's up to the football authorities as to whether next weekend's fixtures go ahead, and that they'll work with the relevant clubs in order to ensure that the usual security plans are in place. 

21 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

No historically speaking we can say Jesus and his family existed from first hand accounts 

How soon the biblical accounts and the non-biblical ‘contemporary’ accounts were written is disputed. But I think the general consensus is they’re all at least decades later. That’s a whole different argument though. I’m not saying they did or didn’t exist anyway. The specific point was the story about Joseph of Arimathaea coming to England being akin to an Arthurian legend. I had a quick look and it doesn’t appear in literature until the 13th century. None of the early accounts that have survived mention him coming to England. So I don’t really think something written over a millennium after something was meant to have happened qualifies as reliable historical evidence. 

Edited by Alex

13 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

No historically speaking we can say Jesus and his family existed from first hand accounts 

can we? :lol: 

are first hand accounts from two thousand years ago that reliable? 

9 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Aye, but he never made it past Calais as Pritius Patelinius was the Roman Commander at the time. 

• Haha 6

I've read articles that the mentions of JC in works by the roman historian Joesuphus which are often cited as "proof" are slightly diffent stylistically from his other writings suggesting they were added in after the event.

We were taught the gospels were set in stone within 50 years of the crucifictiction which is a downright lie - they were decided at the council of Nicae in about 330 AD. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Alex said:

How soon the biblical accounts and the non-biblical ‘contemporary’ accounts were written is disputed. But I think the general consensus is they’re all at least decades later. That’s a whole different argument though. I’m not saying they did or didn’t exist anyway. The specific point was the story about Joseph of Arimathaea coming to England being akin to an Arthurian legend. I had a quick look and it doesn’t appear in literature until the 13th century. None of the early accounts that have survived mention him coming to England. So I don’t really think something written over a millennium after something was meant to have happened qualifies as reliable historical evidence. 

Fucking hell. Right, I’m off to a pub quiz on Thursday. I’ll get your first pint, DM me for details

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Fucking hell. Right, I’m off to a pub quiz on Thursday. I’ll get your first pint, DM me for details

Downside is I talk about stuff like this 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

Of course, the people who run the FA are likely too scared of people shouting Andrew is a sweaty toucher during the minutes silence to let them go ahead. 

Im going to have to ask that we use his proper title, just for context mind you. 

• Haha 7

On 08/09/2022 at 15:43, Gemmill said:

The Dropout is good 

Absolutely jaw dropping stuff.

If that had been fiction you would think they were taking the piss.

I honestly can’t understand how it managed to grow to such a size and get so many investors on such a scam.

2 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Absolutely jaw dropping stuff.

If that had been fiction you would think they were taking the piss.

I honestly can’t understand how it managed to grow to such a size and get so many investors on such a scam.

I've spent the last four years working for a startup. I even do the voice like her. 

But aye, she's a genuine sociopath by the look of it. There's meant to be a good book about it and I know there's a podcast too which I might try. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I've spent the last four years working for a startup. I even do the voice like her. 

But aye, she's a genuine sociopath by the look of it. There's meant to be a good book about it and I know there's a podcast too which I might try. 

Boro’s not quite Silicon Valley :lol: 

I’ll not spoil it for others that haven’t watched it yet, but stuff still ongoing with it in the news yesterday.

• Meenzer changed the title to Yes Gemmill...