Yes Gemmill...

catmag

Just now, Alex said:

RIP. Shame it wasn’t Morrissey 

Morrissey man, such a fucking disappointment what he became. I'm going through my own personal mini-revival of the Smiths at the moment and I just have to remember the 80s incarnation of him and treat him now like he is just a different person altogether. The fascinating thing is though you can see the embryonic racism emerging even in their first album, with some hindsight admittedly. Anyway, Rourke and Joyce were both essential to the Smiths and both criminally forgotten and treated by Marr and especially Morrissey. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Andy Rourke. Fucking pancreatic cancer again. :rip:

FFS.
Never saw the Smith but did get to see Andy Rourke and Johnny Marr when they played in The Pretenders in the early 90s (Saw Mike Joyce drum for The Buzzcocks around the same time).

Rourke was an awesome bass player, it's a shame Morrissey has fucked the legacy of everything the Smiths did.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Renton said:

Morrissey man, such a fucking disappointment what he became. I'm going through my own personal mini-revival of the Smiths at the moment and I just have to remember the 80s incarnation of him and treat him now like he is just a different person altogether. The fascinating thing is though you can see the embryonic racism emerging even in their first album, with some hindsight admittedly. Anyway, Rourke and Joyce were both essential to the Smiths and both criminally forgotten and treated by Marr and especially Morrissey. 

I used to be obsessed with The Smiths then drifted away from them. But I began to appreciate more once again. But even before Morrissey became a fascist my later appreciation was much more about the music. When you’re an angsty kid it’s one thing but, while he undoubtedly had lyrical talent, it’s all a bit cringey once you’re an adult imo. Also, I was thinking about (as one example) ‘How Soon is Now?’ and what an incredible bit of music it is. And how the lyrics set to that could’ve been about anything, be it drugs, love, whatever. But no, it’s him reminding us how miserable he is. Again 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

I used to be obsessed with The Smiths then drifted away from them. But I began to appreciate more once again. But even before Morrissey became a fascist my later appreciation was much more about the music. When you’re an angsty kid it’s one thing but, while he undoubtedly had lyrical talent, it’s all a bit cringey once you’re an adult imo. Also, I was thinking about (as one example) ‘How Soon is Now?’ and what an incredible bit of music it is. And how the lyrics set to that could’ve been about anything, be it drugs, love, whatever. But no, it’s him reminding us how miserable he is. Again 

HSIN? is Johnny Marr’s sonic gift to humanity. Even that cunt Morrissey couldn’t ruin it with his self pitying mewling. His words were fairly remarkable in 85 but they weren’t the thing that moved your soul, it was the music..

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

The age I am, a bit older than you but enough to make a difference, they were a HUGE part of my adolescence. I remember as a kid just at just drinking age (16 or so) "There is a light" blaring out from the juke box at the Barley Mow, and it changed my life in a moment. For me, their first and second albums (The Smiths and Meat is murder) were lyrically sublime and together with Marr's riffs and Rourke's bass play, particular the former album, exactly captured the zeitgest of Thatcher's UK experienced in Northern England. I'm not trying to be pretentious here, I just can't describe it more clearly than that, I'd never heard anyhting like it. Somehow the misery was romantic so I decided to go to Uni in the North West partly because of this. Then the music became more commercial, satirical, and eventually self mocking. And although I still enjoy a bit of Morrissey, it's obviously not at a spiritual level, only the early Smiths achieved that with me and not many bands have. I never saw the Smiths in concert, a big regret. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Renton said:

The age I am, a bit older than you but enough to make a difference, they were a HUGE part of my adolescence. I remember as a kid just at just drinking age (16 or so) "There is a light" blaring out from the juke box at the Barley Mow, and it changed my life in a moment. For me, their first and second albums (The Smiths and Meat is murder) were lyrically sublime and together with Marr's riffs and Rourke's bass play, particular the former album, exactly captured the zeitgest of Thatcher's UK experienced in Northern England. I'm not trying to be pretentious here, I just can't describe it more clearly than that, I'd never heard anyhting like it. Somehow the misery was romantic so I decided to go to Uni in the North West partly because of this. Then the music became more commercial, satirical, and eventually self mocking. And although I still enjoy a bit of Morrissey, it's obviously not at a spiritual level, only the early Smiths achieved that with me and not many bands have. I never saw the Smiths in concert, a big regret. 

I do still love ‘There is a Light Never Goes Out’ 

• Like 1

Martin Amis, the writer. 
Pegged it at 73. 

I read a couple of his books in the 1990s, but I can’t even remember what they were- he just wasn’t my cup of tea. 

Which isn’t to say he wasn’t a great author, but … if he can’t hook the Fist, might as well sign out. :lol:

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Martin Amis, the writer. 
Pegged it at 73. 

I read a couple of his books in the 1990s, but I can’t even remember what they were- he just wasn’t my cup of tea. 

Which isn’t to say he wasn’t a great author, but … if he can’t hook the Fist, might as well sign out. :lol:

I read Money and London Fields but never really understood what the fuss was about. Posh cunt trying to be outrageous. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Alex said:

I read Money and London Fields but never really understood what the fuss was about. Posh cunt trying to be outrageous. 

Didn't really get them either. Trying for outrageous but ending up turgid tripe. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RobinRobin said:

Didn't really get them either. Trying for outrageous but ending up turgid tripe. 

:lol: Aye, London Fields, in particular, just drags on and on with very little happening. 

• Like 1

Ray Stevenson, 58

Always thought he was a geordie but he was actually from Northern Ireland.

I thought he was great in Dexter. RIP 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJS said:

Ray Stevenson, 58

Always thought he was a geordie but he was actually from Northern Ireland.

I thought he was great in Dexter. RIP 

Is that the lad that played the big centurion in Rome? 

Fuck me, that’s depressing.