Yes Gemmill...

catmag

15 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Is there much evidence of anyone from that part of the world existing at the time? Outside of kings/famous Roman etc.

That's a fair point but I guess there are a lot of historical figures for whom there are contemporaneous accounts. Jesus isn't one of them. I tend to think that he either didn't exist or he did but the tales about him are wildly inaccurate.

There's no doubt that the New Testament is inaccurate about a lot of things, which makes it even more ridiculous that people are prepared to live their lives by it.

I always find the selectivity amusing when recounting stories from it. Like you never get told as a kid about the zombies running around Jerusalem when you're learning about the Easter story. Would make for a better story like but it does tend to make it slightly less believable as well.

They always refer to a Roman historian called Josephus who mentions him but I've read some articles which reckon the style of the text is different to his other work which suggests a bit of editing. 

I think for the cult to rise its likely the bloke existed but the stories are obviously enhanced. 

There is evidence that he was a real person, and accounts outside of christianity to corroborate it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/14/what-is-the-historical-evidence-that-jesus-christ-lived-and-died

I'm personally fairly certain he existed, everything he is supposed to be notwithstanding. 

What I find remarkable about the whole thing is that this one man has probably had the biggest influence on the world, for the longest period of time, of anyone who has ever lived. I wonder if, at the time, he had any concept at all of what he would become.

Just now, Rayvin said:

There is evidence that he was a real person, and accounts outside of christianity to corroborate it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/14/what-is-the-historical-evidence-that-jesus-christ-lived-and-died

I'm personally fairly certain he existed, everything he is supposed to be notwithstanding. 

What I find remarkable about the whole thing is that this one man has probably had the biggest influence on the world, for the longest period of time, of anyone who has ever lived. I wonder if, at the time, he had any concept at all of what he would become.

It's more a measure of how important the Roman Empire was and Constantine's conversion than jc himself. 

1 minute ago, NJS said:

It's more a measure of how important the Roman Empire was and Constantine's conversion than jc himself. 

I can see that from a logical point of view but your average guy on the street won't have a clue who Constantine was. Jesus is known throughout the world, has had wars fought in his name hundreds of years after his death, and still to this day has millions of people worshipping him.

The more I think about it, the more astounding it becomes.

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I can see that from a logical point of view but your average guy on the street won't have a clue who Constantine was. Jesus is known throughout the world, has had wars fought in his name hundreds of years after his death, and still to this day has millions of people worshipping him.

Well You could argue the same about Mohammed or Buddha as well. Religions gain power and influence through political and geographical means rather than the power of their message. 

20 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

That backs up my point though. Nothing contemporaneous whatsoever. Josephus and the Roman scholars mentioned were all born after Jesus was supposed to have died. I'm not saying that proves a lack of existence, as you can't prove a negative, but it also provides sweet fa in terms of anything remotely tangible from Jesus' life. And even those mentioned didn't say much about him. I think there's even a suggestion some of the writings may have included later insertions too.

19 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Totally agree about the influence of him, which is amazing whether he existed or not. Even more so if it's the latter :lol:

24 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I reckon he was just the inventor of sleight of hand magic tricks and it blew everyone's nips off 

Moses, who also quite possibly didn't exist, got there first.

Just now, Park Life said:

Wasn't there loads of geezers running around calling themselves Jesus?

No, that was Spartacus.

• Meenzer changed the title to Yes Gemmill...