Rivals

The Fish

Norwich supporting mate asked me last night if I was bothered about Middlesbrough likely leapfrogging us. Got us talking about rivals, he said he'd be pissed off if Colchester bypassed them because they're the 3rd East Anglian team, I said I couldn't really give a shit about any local team other than sunderland. Wish the Darlington and Hartlepool fans well, and all that.

I'd take more from wins against Stevenage, Villa, any Pardew side, any Allardyce side and Wolves than I would Middlesbrough.

Is that normal? Or no?

Which teams would you consider us to have a rivalry with?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said before I have deep grudges against a few teams which doesn't include Boro - Stevenage, Forest, Hereford, Sheff Wed, Villa as a start.

Boro has always been a nasty place to go of course and I'd add that when they started a few years ago saying that we were their rivals, I remember a discussion that they'd gone up in the world because of their delusions of grandeur but overall they're still a minor bug bear to me.

I've said before I have deep grudges against a few teams which doesn't include Boro - Stevenage, Forest, Hereford, Sheff Wed, Villa as a start.

Boro has always been a nasty place to go of course and I'd add that when they started a few years ago saying that we were their rivals, I remember a discussion that they'd gone up in the world because of their delusions of grandeur but overall they're still a minor bug bear to me.

Why those two specifically?

Boro are an instantly forgettable club when they're not around but a horrible one when they are. Not rivals, but a dislikeable club who make Villa fans grudges against us seem like an old biddy moaning about the weather. Can't stand the fuckers, mentioned before being at Ayresome when they chanted the eee-ai-oh dirge through a Joe Harvey minutes silence the day after he died. Double decker buses met us at Thornaby train station and took us to Ayresome Park through streets with minging 'white' nets hanging from them with Granada's/women and kids with just underpants and vests giving us the V's as our buses drove past. :lol:

A bitter fanbase.

Boro are an instantly forgettable club when they're not around but a horrible one when they are. Not rivals, but a dislikeable club who make Villa fans grudges against us seem like an old biddy moaning about the weather. Can't stand the fuckers, mentioned before being at Ayresome when they chanted the eee-ai-oh dirge through a Joe Harvey minutes silence the day after he died. Double decker buses met us at Thornaby train station and took us to Ayresome Park through streets with minging 'white' nets hanging from them with Granada's/women and kids with just underpants and vests giving us the V's as our buses drove past. :lol:

A bitter fanbase.

:lol:

It's like I'm there.

I'm canny fond of them.

:)

I wanted them promoted in 88 as I hadn't actually been there till then and thought it would be good to have a 'sort of' derby. Once I went to their place I changed my mind. They also had a very nasty and game bunch of hoolies who you had to watch out for when away at the same time as they were.

I'm canny fond of them.

Why?

I don't mind them myself, I think they've done the right thing in appointing a legacy manager, rather than a quick fix, get us promoted, kind of manager.

Edited by The Fish

Why?

I don't mind them myself, I think they've done the right thing in appointing a legacy manager, rather than a quick fix, get us promoted, kind of manager.

In not arsed either way tbh but I've worked with a few Boro lads who were sound. Never went to Ayrsome park but went to the riverside on a few occasions and it was alright. Am not too bothered by any fans really, obviously rivalry with the mackems, and I'd say the most intimidated I've been was at Villa park at Robson's last match. Both fans and police.

In not arsed either way tbh but I've worked with a few Boro lads who were sound. Never went to Ayrsome park but went to the riverside on a few occasions and it was alright. Am not too bothered by any fans really, obviously rivalry with the mackems, and I'd say the most intimidated I've been was at Villa park at Robson's last match. Both fans and police.

The police in the West Midlands, (especially villa) were notorious. Honestly suspected they were on some sort of bonus for arrests as they couldn't be as anal? :lol:

Why those two specifically?

Can't see which two you've highlighted on tapatalk.

Stevenage for the collapsible stand/lack of respect.

Forest for going to man utd in 96 and laying down and dying for them and then a week later celebrating Woan's equaliser like it had won them the European Cup again.

Sheff Wed for the worst example of football murder I've ever seen in 84 when they won at SJP under Wilkinson with a display so negative and offside trap heavy that I despaired for football. Thank fuck there's only a couple of his acolytes still around (Allardyce comes to mind).

Forest for going to man utd in 96 and laying down and dying for them and then a week later celebrating Woan's equaliser like it had won them the European Cup again.

Sheff Wed for the worst example of football murder I've ever seen in 84 when they won at SJP under Wilkinson with a display so negative and offside trap heavy that I despaired for football. Thank fuck there's only a couple of his acolytes still around (Allardyce comes to mind).

Aye it was Forest and Sheff Wed. Hate Woan, but don't mind them so much I guess because they haven't been relevant for so long?

84 is a bit early for me, I'd only have been 3 :lol:

I grew up in Boro, all my mates are season ticket holders. They have a massive chip on their shoulders about us, desperate for a local rivalry. One in particular tweets lads of tabloid influenced guff about us trying to get a bite. Could not give one fuck about them, they are inconsequential as a Hull or Burnely to me. Gibson is a class chairman though.

I hate numerous clubs but I wouldn't call them rivals. Big softspot for Sheff Wed though.

I've always had a grudge/ rivalry with Boro, it's not the same rivalry as with Sunderland but always had strong bitter feuds. Especially when we were both really, really shit, Derby day with Boro was intense!

Hard to forget the trips the Ayresome Park

I fucking detest Leeds, twice as a young lad 13-14 I went to Elland Road for the match. Both times after we were hemmed in in an almighty crush in a small area while Leeds Scum were allowed to rain bricks and bottles down on us while the cunts of the police did fuck all. Honestly thought if anyone fell they would be dead in the crush. Hope they go out of existence some time.

I used to feel the same about Arsenal after that cup game where Ginola was sent off (still the worst refereeing performance I have ever seen). Gradually I came to realise it was George Graham I hated not Arsenal.

I used to feel the same about Arsenal after that cup game where Ginola was sent off (still the worst refereeing performance I have ever seen). Gradually I came to realise it was George Graham I hated not Arsenal.

Thankfully the cunt died (Gerard Ashby).

Was right on the touchline for that game, full of drink and someone talked me into having a bit of whizz after I'd knocked that sort of stuff on the head. Fuck me, I was up and down my seat screaming murder all game. :lol: (I still get mad seeing that cunt Dixon on the TV to this day, him and his dirty, cheating ex-colleagues and the holier than thou precious arsenal fans. True cunts of a supporter base.

Was right on the touchline for that game, full of drink and someone talked me into having a bit of whizz after I'd knocked that sort of stuff on the head. Fuck me, I was up and down my seat screaming murder all game. :lol: (I still get mad seeing that cunt Dixon on the TV to this day, him and his dirty, cheating ex-colleagues and the holier than thou precious arsenal fans. True cunts of a supporter base.

I don't feel as strongly as that, mainly because I've got a good mate who is an Arsenal fan and is a nice lad but they do seem to attract more than their fair share of Wednesday night football fans. "I moved to London 5 years ago and I've never actually been to a game but look at me in my replica shirt watching the Champions League in the pub".

Wasn't Ginola booked for diving after either Dixon or Winterburn went straight through as well?

As I remember it basically Ashby had decided in advance that Ginola was a diver and he wasn't going to give him anything so there were fouls that should have been yellow cards where we didn't even get a free kick until eventually Ginola lost it. I think I read somewhere later that this was a tactic they had agreed in advance.

Wasn't Ginola booked for diving after either Dixon or Winterburn went straight through as well?

Yep, the two cunts took turns all night.

When I got home I watched the TV coverage and added Brian Moore to my Arya Stark type death list for his bias.