New Phone

wykikitoon

If you've got an iPad 2 that's running fine, you can't have upgraded it any time recently. Mine has been borderline unusable for about 2 years now. And that's with factory resets and minimal apps loaded to try and coax something out of it.

There's definitely something to be said with Apple products for getting the newest tech cos you're only a couple of years away from a software upgrade that has a similar effect as an EMP.

I'm speaking from experience. I was also trying to use my dads ipad2 yesterday which may as well have been running Windows 95 it was that slow

The iPad 2 is 5.5 years old. Bit of a difference in that and 12 months.

My wife has an iPhone 5. It's getting sluggish too.

The iPhone 6 is 2 years old now, in 12 months it will be 3 years old. If you don't believe Apple purposefully slow down their devices with updates/kill their batteries to force people to spend another £600 then that's your prerogative, it's not really worth arguing over though

The iPhone 6 is 2 years old now, in 12 months it will be 3 years old. If you don't believe Apple purposefully slow down their devices with updates/kill their batteries to force people to spend another £600 then that's your prerogative, it's not really worth arguing over though

You may be right, but the things I use my phone for, texting, calling, watching videos etc. It may take a movie a few seconds longer to load but it's not really going to spoil a movie etc.

Pretty sure I read that Apple do all they can to encourage handset recycling. Much better for the company to have people buying cheap older generation models than cheaper, faster, feature laden android phones.

Is slowing performance not from apps optimised for the latest model phones, rather than the operating system?

Pretty sure I read that Apple do all they can to encourage handset recycling. Much better for the company to have people buying cheap older generation models than cheaper, faster, feature laden android phones.

Is slowing performance not from apps optimised for the latest model phones, rather than the operating system?

Aye, you can't expect older hardware to continue performing at the same level as software is put onto it designed, mostly, for newer and more powerful hardware.

If you expect a 4 or 5 year old computer to run the same as it did when it was new you need to realign your expectations.

Depends on the user to a great extent too. You've got the not so tech savy people complaining about android being laggier as compared to ios. A look at their phone will show you a few dozen active apps and the memory being stretched to its limit, not to mention literally everything that can be turned on in the notification area will be turned on. Ive had the Note 4 for a couple of years and its as smooth as the day I got it. 

Thinking about getting the new one though, looks fantastic. Always wait for the iPhone each year but never end up getting one :P Certainly wont this year if that 6SE crap turns out to be true.

People using tablets really should have a look at the Nexus, though there doesnt seem to have been a new one this year. Got Nexus 7 for my mom nearly 2 years back and it runs great. And its heavily used alright. Not sure which new device has got higher benchmarks these days but Ive compared the performance of used equivalent apple/samsung offerings to it and it rips them to shreds.

I've got it as well. It's fantastic like.

Without doubt the best phone I've had. Quite possibly the best on the market. Using it with a Chromecast is a dream, all the free sport in the world on Mobdro. Makes you wonder why people actually pay for Sky Sports and BT.

Depends on the user to a great extent too. You've got the not so tech savy people complaining about android being laggier as compared to ios. A look at their phone will show you a few dozen active apps and the memory being stretched to its limit, not to mention literally everything that can be turned on in the notification area will be turned on. Ive had the Note 4 for a couple of years and its as smooth as the day I got it.

Thinking about getting the new one though, looks fantastic. Always wait for the iPhone each year but never end up getting one :P Certainly wont this year if that 6SE crap turns out to be true.

People using tablets really should have a look at the Nexus, though there doesnt seem to have been a new one this year. Got Nexus 7 for my mom nearly 2 years back and it runs great. And its heavily used alright. Not sure which new device has got higher benchmarks these days but Ive compared the performance of used equivalent apple/samsung offerings to it and it rips them to shreds.

Was that the first Nexus 7? Mine was bricked by an OS update, happened to loads of mates with them iirc.

I'm updating my phone next week despite having no justification as my HTC mate still works brilliantly. Think I'll exercise a bit of brand loyalty and opt for the HTC 10 over the Samsung S7. Both great phones but the htc has better audio fidelity and I'm not keen on touchwhizz or a lot of Samsung apps.

The iphone7 is supposed to be massively underwhelming I read.

Edited by Renton

That honestly excites you?

I'm interested in it, may well step back from iPhones altogether with this upgrade if the "no headphone jack" rumour turns out to be true.

What's the problem with that? They'll just have a lightning port adapter.

So I can't charge and use headphones at the same time, or I can have proprietary headphones, or bluetooth.

None being things I'm interested in, what's the benefit to removing a universal standard headphone adapter?

Was that the first Nexus 7? Mine was bricked by an OS update, happened to loads of mates with them iirc.

I'm updating my phone next week despite having no justification as my HTC mate still works brilliantly. Think I'll exercise a bit of brand loyalty and opt for the HTC 10 over the Samsung S7. Both great phones but the htc has better audio fidelity and I'm not keen on touchwhizz or a lot of Samsung apps.

The iphone7 is supposed to be massively underwhelming I read.

Nope, the 2nd generation. Thank heavens they sorted that out then.

Loved the audio on my HTC One S. Great earphones too. Will find it difficult to move on from the Note now though. Zero complaints and the S Pen is a lot more useful than I thought it'd be. 

While that is a bonus for apple, I think the biggest factor is being able to ensure that music is bought from itunes...

"Restricting audio output to a purely digital connection means that music publishers and streaming companies can start to insist on digital copyright enforcement mechanisms."

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/6/21/11991302/iphone-no-headphone-jack-user-hostile-stupid

Apple :lol: they've been doing this kind of restrictive bollocks for years. Something like that should be them digging their own graves but they've got such a cult following that it'll be spun into a positive. Still think it's a bad move. Samsung are vastly superior these days

Nope, the 2nd generation. Thank heavens they sorted that out then.

Loved the audio on my HTC One S. Great earphones too. Will find it difficult to move on from the Note now though. Zero complaints and the S Pen is a lot more useful than I thought it'd be.

I still use a Nexus 7 first gen to watch things at work without any problems.