New Phone

wykikitoon

I still don't see the point of them.

Running, exercise etc without the phone. Now the new one has the GPS its independent (ish) of the phone for run tracking, which is what the intended use is. You sync a playlist of up to about 100 songs and you have an iphone for your run without the need to carry the iphone. 

Not sure its worth it but i was given one for free so use it for running. Most people who run have a sports watch and the best GPS watches from Tom Tom and Garmin are about the same price (think top of range Tom Tom cardio GPS is around 400 euros). I wouldnt have bought the first model but this second one seems ok. Not going to update the one i have though, better things to spend money on.  

Doesnt get away with a music source though, you need to spend a bit more for one which stores music. 

The non-Apple ones that do store music are apparently a fanny on to sync and have manufacturer headphone pairing issues with not all brands supported. 

I've been looking into Google Fi tbh, phones are an absolute bump over here (my bill is $88 per month for 3gb of data and unlimited talk+text) so the idea of paying just $20 per month for talk and text and then $10 for each gb I use is enticing as I'm a fairly low data user (I rarely go over 2gb but the plans are 1gb or 3gb). My only concern is they use Sprint and T-Mobile networks, I've no experience with T-Mobile but I used to have Sprint and it was complete and utter dogshit despite what their adverts are now saying about being only 1% worse than Verizon.

Getting the Pixel would add $27 per month to the bill but that would still only bring me out at $67 or so per month for 2gb of data, the best part is you pre-pay for the data so if you don't use it they apply that money to your next month and reduce it. I've got about one year left on my current contract so I suppose it gives me plenty of time to see how others find the Fi network but it's definitely going to be tough to keep my Verizon contract if Fi is decent.

The really big plus for me is you can use your Fi data in 120 different countries and they don't charge any extra for it, so when I visit home I'd be able to get 3G data on my phone without paying any extra roaming fees etc, you can also get up to 9 data only sims on the account which all link to the same pool of data so that is good for any sim-ready tablets or laptops. I've no idea if this is coming to the UK anytime soon, it's just been rolled out in my area recently but I doubt it's far off since they have an agreement with T-mobile.

The pixel actually looks canny as well, I use chrome on my iPhone as it is so I'd not need to adapt to that. Google home and Google wifi look canny as well, it seems like they're making a real go at pushing Apple to the side.

Edited by Howay

Funny how Apple were being mocked for the iPhone 7 looking too much like the iPhone 6 and then Google bring out a phone that looks almost identical.

imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

I was curious so I took a look at the pixel. In appearance I'd say it was dated and ugly. Very expensive as well compared to the Nexus, have Google given up on valuek? Like the iPhone then, underwhelming.

That thing is ugly as fuck, but if it has battery life comparable with the S7, I'll get it.  Vanilla Android trumps looks for me.

I'm still using a 2013 Nexus 5 and love it, but I want a phone that can handle heavy usage for a whole day.

Htc's sense skin is minimally intrusive if you want a premium phone, better looking than this and great audio. Might be worth checking out the 10. Better battery than the pixel too and SD card if constant data access is a problem (or if you distrust big brother Google hosting all your photos ;) ).

Edited by Renton

1zoeqdy.jpg

Can't see any reason not to stick with oneplus if/when i need a new phone.  Would like expandable memory, but happy enough to access all my music, pics, videos, files in the cloud and let it cut out for 90 seconds in the Tyne Tunnel.

Remarkable how much the iphone loses out on, just to be one tenth of a millimetre thinner than competitors.

It'll have a higher price to justify a lot of the R and D. Later models will be improved and more competitive.

R&D? Mobile phones are 60's technology. :lol:

The new iphone 17

Motorola-DynaTAC-8000X-002.jpg?w=1010&q=

Edited by Park Life