New Phone

wykikitoon

Is it just me or is 300 quid for a flagship phone less than six months from its release date a fairly decent offer? :unsure: 

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/sony/xperia-xz-premium.html#!colour=chrome&capacity=64GB&dealType=sf

amyone had a Xperia recently?... I aquired a smallish one years ago as a sort of back up but left it in the back of a cab one night...quite liked it...

16 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Is it just me or is 300 quid for a flagship phone less than six months from its release date a fairly decent offer? :unsure: 

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/sony/xperia-xz-premium.html#!colour=chrome&capacity=64GB&dealType=sf

amyone had a Xperia recently?... I aquired a smallish one years ago as a sort of back up but left it in the back of a cab one night...quite liked it...

230 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Premium-5-5-Inch-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Black/dp/B06X9R8FL8?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAIP4DZLTZRZE5EFCA&tag=trusrevi01-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B06X9R8FL8&ascsubtag=331454

Doesn't seem to fare that well in reviews vs its rival flagships, though its unquestionably cheap.

Don’t really need the latest Samsung or iPhone so the comparison isn’t really important...I’ve got an iphone SE with a shagged battery and it’s pissing me off, then I used the current Mrs PLs newish Huawei the other day and it was like lightning compared with mine. Quite like silver version of the Sony, & £230 Is peanuts really, will probably go & find it  in CW or somewhere  and have a play..reckoned it’ll be cheaper on Black Friday? 🤔

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Don’t really need the latest Samsung or iPhone so the comparison isn’t really important...I’ve got an iphone SE with a shagged battery and it’s pissing me off, then I used the current Mrs PLs newish Huawei the other day and it was like lightning compared with mine. Quite like silver version of the Sony, & £230 Is peanuts really, will probably go & find it  in CW or somewhere  and have a play..reckoned it’ll be cheaper on Black Friday? 🤔

I'd be surprised if it dropped further than that, 230 is really cheap.

I've got a Huawei Nova 3I which is a relatively budget phone and is superb, not sure if its available in the UK though.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Well chaps, I reckon my oneplus 1 is just starting to show the odd sign of fatigue so I'm reluctantly looking at my wallet with a great foreboding of doom. I've loved this phone so am naturally thinking of getting a newer version but the cost is putting me off and to be frank, I know very little about the technology, ( I know some will be shocked but I assure you this is the case). Is oneplus still excellent and better value than the mainstream? Should I bite the bullet and get an iPhone? Help out a relative tech divvy, lads. :good:

13 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Well chaps, I reckon my oneplus 1 is just starting to show the odd sign of fatigue so I'm reluctantly looking at my wallet with a great foreboding of doom. I've loved this phone so am naturally thinking of getting a newer version but the cost is putting me off and to be frank, I know very little about the technology, ( I know some will be shocked but I assure you this is the case). Is oneplus still excellent and better value than the mainstream? Should I bite the bullet and get an iPhone? Help out a relative tech divvy, lads. :good:

If you've missed the last few OnePlus flagships, the OnePlus 7 is a no-brainer upgrade. It has an extraordinarily generous 6.4-inch AMOLED display, a fast in-screen fingerprint scanner, blazingly quick flagship internals, and a quietly restrained operating system that only adds features that are genuinely useful.15 Aug 2019

https://www.t3.com/reviews/oneplus-7-review

Oneplus 7 is just about the best smartphone out there, comes top or near the top of most comparisons. It's a flagship so expensive but cheaper than most other flagships. I assume you got your last one tonks ago given the new one is 7 iterations older. If you keep this for more than 3 years (2 year contract then rolling), it's good value.

I recently got the Galaxy S10 which is the dogs bollocks tbh, not too big either. Worth considering also. 

I’ve had an iPhone for well over a decade and really don’t like Android myself but it’s hard to justify the premium you pay for them. Only I’m already in the Apple ecosystem I wouldn’t bother.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Renton said:

https://www.t3.com/reviews/oneplus-7-review

Oneplus 7 is just about the best smartphone out there, comes top or near the top of most comparisons. It's a flagship so expensive but cheaper than most other flagships. I assume you got your last one tonks ago given the new one is 7 iterations older. If you keep this for more than 3 years (2 year contract then rolling), it's good value.

I recently got the Galaxy S10 which is the dogs bollocks tbh, not too big either. Worth considering also. 

Think I got it around 2016. Was thinking of getting the oneplus 6t or possibly the 7 but it ain't cheap! I generally pay up front as I only pay around a fiver a month for my contract. Would definitely keep it for a few years as long as it keeps working, I wouldn't be getting another if I didn't think this one may be starting to show signs of decline. 

£450 is really cheap for a flagship though. Look at J69, he bought mid range and it didn't last long and you're not getting the performance from the start, it's false economy imo. No reason a one 7 wont last you another 4 years. 

Mrs Fish got a new XR but can't use it because she forgot her Apple ID, he old phone won't even turn on and the account reset process with apple takes minimum 3 days!

11 hours ago, Renton said:

£450 is really cheap for a flagship though. Look at J69, he bought mid range and it didn't last long and you're not getting the performance from the start, it's false economy imo. No reason a one 7 wont last you another 4 years. 

I'm sure I saw £700ish for that particular phone so at least it's going in the right direction. :lol:

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

That's the Oneplus 7 Pro. Renton obviously considers you an amateur. 

He considers me what? Why I completely resemble that remark! I'm not a total amateur on quality but maybe a bit on price. ;)

Upgraded to a iPhone 11, arrives today. It’s costing me about £12 a month more than my old one, but only cos I’ve been with EE so long and I did a fake “I’m leaving” on the phone otherwise they are a bit of a rip off.

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered the oneplus 7 pro as it had £100 knocked off so £599. Probably way too much stuff on it I'll never need or use but I've had the oneplus 1 for about four to five years so hoping for at least the same with this one.