New Phone

wykikitoon

In the market for a new phone old one is giving up the ghost. 

Don't want to lose my sweet sweet discount so I'm having to buy one outright, anybody got any trustworthy places to buy a phone for a good price?

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

In the market for a new phone old one is giving up the ghost. 

Don't want to lose my sweet sweet discount so I'm having to buy one outright, anybody got any trustworthy places to buy a phone for a good price?

What's a good price range? 

I was. There's too many variables really, just depends what you want. OS, screen size, etc. If you're Android, I'd go for a Google Pixel 6, which match the top end Samsungs in most areas and have arguably the best camera going. About £600 I think. 

Cheers lads.

Got a Galazy A40 from work and it's... fine. Guess I'd need to use Android for a while to get used to the OS.

Urgh, a Samsung with an "A" in it is not good! Look, if you're anything like me you'll be using your phone constantly for the next couple of years at least for communication, web browsing, taking photos, and everything else. You're better off getting a premium phone imo. ANd fuck using the same phone for work, even if it's a serperate sim. 

My mam got a low level Android once thinking it would be just like a top end one. It was shite. Frozen screens, massive slowdowns (presumably underpowered). She ended up limping to the end of her contract facing a relentless I told you so campaign from yours truly. 

Look Dave, get this fucking straight. I couldn't give A SINGLE FUCK about the fact that you've got a shit phone, but if you come after the Android OS on the back of it, believe me, we are gonna throw down and it is NOT gonna be pretty. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Urgh, a Samsung with an "A" in it is not good! Look, if you're anything like me you'll be using your phone constantly for the next couple of years at least for communication, web browsing, taking photos, and everything else. You're better off getting a premium phone imo. ANd fuck using the same phone for work, even if it's a serperate sim. 

Oh this thing is purely for 'work'. 

Mostly it's used as a caveat when I'm away from the desk. "I've got to drop my car off and wait while it's being fixed. I'll have my phone on me" What that really means is "I'm meeting a mate for a coffee, I'll not reply to fucking anything while I'm gone unless it's an emergency, so don't ask".

Pixel 6 looks nice. And if I can get it on 0% like Gemmil says, all the better. 

10 hours ago, Gemmill said:

My mam got a low level Android once thinking it would be just like a top end one. It was shite. Frozen screens, massive slowdowns (presumably underpowered). She ended up limping to the end of her contract facing a relentless I told you so campaign from yours truly. 

Look Dave, get this fucking straight. I couldn't give A SINGLE FUCK about the fact that you've got a shit phone, but if you come after the Android OS on the back of it, believe me, we are gonna throw down and it is NOT gonna be pretty. 

Dunno what you lot are doing with your phone's, last 6 months I've been using a £100 Motorola (g8 I think) and it's absolutely been fine. Had less headaches with it than some "flagships" I've bought on contract in the past.

• 1 year later...

Pixel 8 arrived yesterday. First time in a while I've not had a Samsung and I really like it. 

I mean there's not a lot of difference these days now that they're just messing about around the ages with the new software releases, but my lass has just got an S23 and I prefer this to that fwiw. Or at least I'm telling myself I do. 

17 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Pixel 8 arrived yesterday. First time in a while I've not had a Samsung and I really like it. 

I mean there's not a lot of difference these days now that they're just messing about around the ages with the new software releases, but my lass has just got an S23 and I prefer this to that fwiw. Or at least I'm telling myself I do. 

I have a Pixel 6, it's grand. 

Stay tuned for more exciting developments on this story.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Gemmill said:

A friend has a Pixel and it just feels a little plasticy.  Whats the 8 like?  Think he has the 5.

10 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

It entirely depends what Android phone you get. If you're straying from Google or Samsung, you might start to have problems. 

Ive had a One-Plus for years now and they're solid.  Superb camera and great fast UI.

1 minute ago, wykikitoon said:

A friend has a Pixel and it just feels a little plasticy.  Whats the 8 like?  Think he has the 5.

What were you  expecting?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

The one complaint I would have which would be the same for the Samsung (and possibly the iPhone) is that they cover the back in the same glass that they use for the screen. It makes the phone so fucking slippy if you don't have a case on it. 

Other than that it's class. And I think it's only glass and metal exterior so no plastic. 

Just now, The Fish said:

What have I missed?

A fucking 2 decade old Android vs. Apple debate?

Thing is as far as I can tell flagship Android phones and iPhones are converging in terms of functionality and price so who gives a shit?

Personally, I like innovation. I would like to get a fold as my next phone but fuck paying £1800 for it like.