The Gardening thread

Christmas Tree

Once again I shall be paying a gardener to come and sort out the post-winter jungle at chez catmag. (Cue jokes about overgrown bushes etc..) I love my garden but have neither the time or inclination to do anything adventurous with it, and have a terrible habit of killing things. Plants mainly.

Once again I shall be paying a gardener to come and sort out the post-winter jungle at chez catmag. (Cue jokes about overgrown bushes etc..) I love my garden but have neither the time or inclination to do anything adventurous with it, and have a terrible habit of killing things. Plants mainly.

Interspersed with the odd tramp nobody will miss. Everybody has a safety valve.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'd say you get more light into your garden now. Gonna do something similar to a few trees at my own house, you have any problems? You gonna bother grinding the stump?

Edited by ewerk

Never mind that, what did you do with the tree? It looked massive. We paid a hundred quid to a tree surgeon to get rid of a similar sized tree, he had a huge machine for pulping it iirc.

Chopped it up with a chainsaw and paid £20 to hire a van to take it to the tip

The Rose bush is still behind the fence

I'd say you get more light into your garden now. Gonna do something similar to a few trees at my own house, you have any problems? You gonna bother grinding the stump?

No problems, it was leaning at an angle so I didn't have to worry about it falling backwards and smashing the fence.

I dug around the stump and managed to trim it nigh on level with the ground. Electric chainsaws are ten times easier to use than petrol chainsaws would be my top tip!

Also, I took about 5 trees down last year using this.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erb373rsp-1100w-reciprocating-saw-240v/80388

Like a knife through butter and come with various blades for use on wood, plastic, steel etc.

In other words it will do the job, is a lot safer than a chainsaw and is very useful to have around for lots of other jobs.

:lol:

That wouldn't even make a dent a decent sized tree man

A chainsaw is as safe as the person using it. I can understand why you bought something else

Worked champion on the 5 I took down. Change to the big blade and it's a piece of piss.

Plus you have something in the shed that you can use over and over.

• 1 year later...