Rocket League

Rayvin

It's small cars that can kinda fly playing football. Up to 4v4 with 3v3 as standard.

It's good fun and wildly addictive. Anyone else play?

The other key bit is that it's only about £15 on steam. I presume nearer to £40 on PSN, but it is cross platform.

Here's the trailer:

• 1 month later...

Is it not compatible across X-Box and Steam? That's fucking bizarre if true...

I've recently started moving into ranked modes and am presently stuck with most other people in the Challenger ranks. Are you higher than that? I think if I ever got out of there I'd probably avoid going back on ranked ever again so as not to lose it.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I fully accept that I'm not going to persuade anyone now but in one last effort I'll make a better pitch. FYI it's £10 on PSN.

Background to the game: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/06/rocket-league-psyonix-online-sports-game-football-motor-racing-combat

I strongly doubt anyone who enjoys football and gaming would regret playing this. Faster paced and far more satisfying (IMO) than the conventional football sims. It has a formal league table and ranking system with pro-gamers at the top and everyone else attempting to work themselves up through the tables. They have formal statistical breakdowns of player populations in each rank, live streaming of tournaments with commentators and actual budgets, strong developer responsiveness to player needs, etc. I'm on 480 hours of playing time so far.

I think the reason it's so addictive is that how good you are is entirely down to you. You don't get better cars, accessories or anything - you just get better. And thus you improve in rankings. It's otherwise a level playing field.

No they aren't paying me - I just want people to play with on PSN :D (I have it on both Steam and PSN now).

This was one of the recent tournament finals - skip in about 1 min to see the game:

Edited by Rayvin

• 8 months later...

@adios

First impressions? It's got a steep learning curve initially where you find you can't work out where the ball is going or how to hit it, but I'll try and get some time to jump on and fast track you some of the mechanics.

I've only really had a go at the training so far but I can see the attraction.  Will take a while to get used to the dodge action I'd say but I enjoyed using it during goalie training.

I'm free 8pm to midnight most days.

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Ok I'll try to join you at some point soon. How is the input lag for you?

We can play the AI for a bit and then maybe take it on the road.

No input lag but I'm only playing locally with bots so far.  Have I been sold a lemon? <_<

Headphones are broken but new ones are in the post so should be up for a game tomorrow onwards.

I've been watching videos and it's incredible that such a simple game which is basically a few cars (albeit flying ones) and a ball in a physics sandbox can become so complex in gameplay.

Don't know if I'll ever put the time in to be good at it, though.  One beginners' video said it was for people who've played between 0 and 300-500 hours.  The upper end of that is three months' full-time work ffs. :lol: 

24 minutes ago, adios said:

No input lag but I'm only playing locally with bots so far.  Have I been sold a lemon? <_<

Headphones are broken but new ones are in the post so should be up for a game tomorrow onwards.

I've been watching videos and it's incredible that such a simple game which is basically a few cars (albeit flying ones) and a ball in a physics sandbox can become so complex in gameplay.

Don't know if I'll ever put the time in to be good at it, though.  One beginners' video said it was for people who've played between 0 and 300-500 hours.  The upper end of that is three months' full-time work ffs. :lol: 

You do not want to know how many hours I'm at :lol: But I'm not a beginner.

I think I can fast track you to being competent in less than 100 though. Have done it before. But yeah, it's an incredibly intricate game. The good thing for those of us from a football background is that positioning counts for a great deal.

4 minutes ago, adios said:

Headphones finally arrived today so will be up for it this week.

Nice one. I'm thinking I might just take the PS4 to my computer room and run it to my monitor there. Might improve input slowdown issues I'm having atm. If it does, you'll be playing with a legend ;)

4 hours ago, adios said:

ArtVandalA

:lol:

Ok I checked out his ranked scores. No contest, I would win. He's a Platinum level player. Average, basically...

I'd be up for playing with him though.

26 minutes ago, strawb said:

Handbags, handbags in the gaming forum!

:lol:

Grand, teach me to beat him.  He still hasn't forgiven me for a game of Scrabble years ago.