Would you rather...

adios

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

possibly, i don't know who made the first contact.

the club still had to give him the control he wanted and the wages he demanded, which is something. a manager of rafa's quality was never to come and work under the same constraints mcclaren and pardew were. that alone is a positive. as maybe they're finally realising the old formula is complete dog shit.

i'm trying to put my optimistic hat on here. i've just got a smidgen of hope for next time because rafa was such a leftfield appointment for them. deep down i suspect that when rafa goes we'll revert to type. it wouldn't surprise me actually if they use our relegation as an excuse to call it a failed experiment and go back to the bargain basement. there were similar disrespectful comments made about shearer after the last relegation if i remember correctly.

Rafa is battling for our future on multiple fronts.

To be fair, Shearer was a failed experiment. He was a non-manager with an enormous ego and he didn't get anything out of the squad. And he was paid loads for the opportunity.

Benitez has got more than anyone could have reasonably expected out of this lot, they look like an entirely different set of players. Any attempt to pass this off as a failed experiment would be idiotic. The only failure was those in charge leaving it two games too long to address the problem.

To be fair, Shearer was a failed experiment. He was a non-manager with an enormous ego and he didn't get anything out of the squad. And he was paid loads for the opportunity.

Benitez has got more than anyone could have reasonably expected out of this lot, they look like an entirely different set of players. Any attempt to pass this off as a failed experiment would be idiotic. The only failure was those in charge leaving it two games too long to address the problem.

But penfold is idiotic. That's exactly why I'm expecting it.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd bump this, shows our feelings on what is best for the club were genuine, with 85% of us favouring this (rather unlikely scenario) over premier league survival if that meant the same old shit. Zero revision or hindsight required.

Haven't changed my mind at all. Rafa + Relegation and the subsequent restructure + rebuild is better than someothermotherfucker scraping survival and repeating this bullshit ad infinitum.

Haven't changed my mind at all. Rafa + Relegation and the subsequent restructure + rebuild is better than someothermotherfucker scraping survival and repeating this bullshit ad infinitum.

Couldn't agree more.

Of course this all hinges on us coming straight back up like last time and there not being any weird shenanigans upon re-entry with sales or contracts, but compared to the turgid couple of seasons and half of this one, even the 10 games leading to our relegation were on the whole infinitely more enjoyable and positive than anything i've felt from us for a long time.

This is the first time for so long that there is somebody not only with a bit of a resume behind them being at the club - but with a goal and an idea behind them that they actually have the control they need to make steps towards achieving it.

I wouldnt give a fuck what division we were in as long as that was the case, because 10 years of 'try not to get relegated and for the love of god don't win any trophies, just buy cheap sell high' had pretty much destroyed any real 'love' i had in football over the past decade.

Of course there were still some great players showing up now and then (and being quickly turned for a profit) and the odd enjoyable match - and of course i still followed the games week in week out - but more from a point of routine than for any desire.

When the club itself admitted there was no ambition, why the hell would any of the fans even dare to try and enjoy the football?

I must admit in a weird way i almost feel sorry for Ashley.

I genuinely think last season at the start all the spiel he gave about a top half finish, winning a cup, and spending money instead of making it, I think he genuinely may have at least 20% meant it.

They just hitched their bets to the wrong horse in mcclaren, and stuck with ti too long and the rest of the season became unsuccessful damage limitation.

The fact Rafa (who was under no obligation) has decided to stay on suggests all the noises he has heard and discussions he has had must have led him to at least partially feel the same way.

I'm not expecting this season to be a 'walk' in the park, in fact im almost certain we will struggle, the championship has got a LOT more competitive and scrappy over the past 7 years, and i think our current squad genuinely needs a clear out and one or two heads brought in that can drag a game on its arse if it aint going our way - but christ almighty i can't wait.

Give me a season with a goal, give me a manager with ambition, give me players that are there because they want to fight tooth and nail and win every game - not because they were paid an extortionate amount of money and had premier league status. GIVE ME IT ALL.

Compared to the past 10 years of being nothing but a footnote and a 'newcastle circus' in the media, I welcome everything that's lined up for us.