Would you rather...

adios

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surviving could vindicate Charnley's stewardship.

Can't understand why anyone would pick perpetuating the bullshit, instead of relegation with Rafa & the change that having a man of actual competence in a position of power would bring.

Surviving could vindicate Charnley's stewardship.

Can't understand why anyone would pick perpetuating the bullshit, instead of relegation with Rafa & the change that having a man of actual competence in a position of power would bring.

because it's a silly hypothetical question.

charnley chose rafa. perhaps he'd choose better next time as well. maybe there's finally a realisation from ashley that his blueprint of appointing managers on the cheap and not giving them a say over player recruitment is a load of shite and appointing a manager with pedigree and giving him complete control over team affairs is the way forward.

in reality relegation will probably result in us losing rafa anyway. it'll certainly result in greater uncertainty.

because it's a silly hypothetical question.

charnley chose rafa. perhaps he'd choose better next time as well. maybe there's finally a realisation from ashley that his blueprint of appointing managers on the cheap and not giving them a say over player recruitment is a load of shite and appointing a manager with pedigree and giving him complete control over team affairs is the way forward.

in reality relegation will probably result in us losing rafa anyway. it'll certainly result in greater uncertainty.

Even if we accept the highly unlikely scenario that Thumbhead is suddenly competent, what standard of manager will we be looking at? Nobody in Rafa's league, and that's for damned sure. It would be McClaren-like appointments.

Rafa is the best thing about the club at the minute, by a fucking mile.

Except maybe Mad Mitro...

Even if we accept the highly unlikely scenario that Thumbhead is suddenly competent, what standard of manager will we be looking at? Nobody in Rafa's league, and that's for damned sure. It would be McClaren-like appointments.

Rafa is the best thing about the club at the minute, by a fucking mile.

Except maybe Mad Mitro...

usually i'd have agreed with you because their past record of appointing managers has been atrocious...until now. i didn't think the fuckwits in charge were capable, or willing to go after a manager in rafa's class and salary bracket. the fact they did it once is encouraging for the future.

If Sunderland stay up again they will be in for another season of the same shit they have gone through the last however many years. Except they'll no longer have us throwing points at them so they will probably go down next season.

If we stayed up and Rafa left, I think we'd be in for the same. Personally I find that that an offensive prospect. I would rather be in the championship fighting to be the best team than be in the top division accepting being the least worst of the four worst teams in the league. Benitez is lighting the place up and installing something in the players that I thought was years away from returning. A choice top league shite or second league with someone you can believe in running the show is no choice at all. Of course he's much more likely to stay if we aren't relegated so staying up is our best chance of actually seeing the club move forward.

Bollocks. Benitez chose Newcastle, not the other way round.

we haven't been prepared to pay managers the sort of wages he's on in the past, so something's changed.

it probably is just desperation due to the position we're in, but i'd take a punt on that over relegation, which could be a lot harder graft than last time we went down.

in reality, benitez is unlikely to stay if we go down anyway so the whole question is a pointless one to debate. i want the manager and surival, not one or the other.

usually i'd have agreed with you because their past record of appointing managers has been atrocious...until now. i didn't think the fuckwits in charge were capable, or willing to go after a manager in rafa's class and salary bracket. the fact they did it once is encouraging for the future.

I think Rafa's people came to us rather than it being the other way round. I have no doubt in my mind at all that if it had just been down to penfold, there's no way Rafa would be here and we'd probably be relegated already.

Combination of panic and Benitez's availability, nowt to do with a change in tactic or willingness to spend.

There is just no fucking way we'd have appointed Benitez at the end of the season if McClaren had stumbled to safety. Even we'd fired McClaren for only getting us 17th, we'd have replaced him with some other fucking chancer.

If Sunderland stay up again they will be in for another season of the same shit they have gone through the last however many years. Except they'll no longer have us throwing points at them so they will probably go down next season.

If we stayed up and Rafa left, I think we'd be in for the same. Personally I find that that an offensive prospect. I would rather be in the championship fighting to be the best team than be in the top division accepting being the least worst of the four worst teams in the league. Benitez is lighting the place up and installing something in the players that I thought was years away from returning. A choice top league shite or second league with someone you can believe in running the show is no choice at all. Of course he's much more likely to stay if we aren't relegated so staying up is our best chance of actually seeing the club move forward.

:aye:

we haven't been prepared to pay managers the sort of wages he's on in the past, so something's changed.

it probably is just desperation due to the position we're in, but i'd take a punt on that over relegation, which could be a lot harder graft than last time we went down.

in reality, benitez is unlikely to stay if we go down anyway so the whole question is a pointless one to debate. i want the manager and surival, not one or the other.

It's almost exactly the same as the situation that saw us bring Shearer in who also got a canny wedge (not to mention his unpaid bonus if he'd managed to keep us up). We've been here before. I'd like to think there's a change in policy though, obviously.

All that aside though, you were suggesting it was Charnley's doing. It clearly wasn't

Edited by Alex

It's almost exactly the same as the situation that saw us bring Shearer in who also got a canny wedge (not to mention his unpaid bonus if he'd managed to keep us up). We've been here before. I'd like to think there's a change in policy though, obviously.

All that aside though, you were suggesting it was Charnley's doing. It clearly wasn't

ashley then. the puppet or the puppet master. whoever you attribute it to, the club still sanctioned the move to appoint a manager of a pedigree unlike anyone else they've ever appointed, other than keegan. it might have just be blind panic, probably was, but who knows? maybe, hopefully, it's a sign of a shift in thinking. i was surprised as anyone when rafa news broke because it goes against everything they've done the past few years, and i'm as desperate as anyone for him to stay. i do fear what could happen if we're relegated though. might not be the jolly of a year it was last time around.

I think Rafa's people came to us rather than it being the other way round. I have no doubt in my mind at all that if it had just been down to penfold, there's no way Rafa would be here and we'd probably be relegated already.

possibly, i don't know who made the first contact.

the club still had to give him the control he wanted and the wages he demanded, which is something. a manager of rafa's quality was never to come and work under the same constraints mcclaren and pardew were. that alone is a positive. as maybe they're finally realising the old formula is complete dog shit.

i'm trying to put my optimistic hat on here. i've just got a smidgen of hope for next time because rafa was such a leftfield appointment for them. deep down i suspect that when rafa goes we'll revert to type. it wouldn't surprise me actually if they use our relegation as an excuse to call it a failed experiment and go back to the bargain basement. there were similar disrespectful comments made about shearer after the last relegation if i remember correctly.