Junior doctors' strike

ewerk

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't true according to what I've read. The following restrictions will be in place:

• The average amount of hours junior doctors work will remain the same, at around 48 hours per week.
  • There will be a new absolute limit of 72 hours in any week, lower than the 91 hours that the current arrangements allow. Alongside this, we are removing the financial incentives in the current contract that encourage doctors to work unsafe hours.
  • Junior doctors who opt out of the working time directive will not be able to work more than 56 hours per week on average over the course of a rota.
  • No junior doctor will have to work more than 4 nights in a row or 5 long day shifts in a row and employers will be banned from scheduling any shifts over 13 hours.
  • There will be a limit of 7 days or nights on call.
  • We will introduce a new system of work scheduling agreed between the doctor and their employer, with regular, routine reviews agreed with educational supervisors. Doctors will have the ability to trigger an urgent review if there is significant or regular variation from the work schedule.

How does this compare to existing restrictions? I'm still confused as to why junior doctors are talking about safety when these restrictions appear to have been agreed by both sides.

Oh and anyone who thinks that a pizza is cut into five or seven slices needs to be treated with suspicion.

Based on what you've posted though, doesn't the pizza analogy hold up? They're going to be spread more thinly, thus endangering patients. That's said, I reckon that's the bit being used by the JDs for making their case to the public - it's probably not the focal point of this for the parties involved which appears to be basically about pay.

Which is fine. And I still support them in it.

Based on what you've posted though, doesn't the pizza analogy hold up? They're going to be spread more thinly, thus endangering patients. That's said, I reckon that's the bit being used by the JDs for making their case to the public - it's probably not the focal point of this for the parties involved which appears to be basically about pay.

Which is fine. And I still support them in it.

It's not the analogy itself I have a problem with. It's the fact that no one in their right mind cuts a pizza into five or seven slices.

As the author says, no one knows what this seven day NHS is going to look like. All the government have done is distort weekend mortality rates and claim they'll have all week care without providing any detail.

It's not the analogy itself I have a problem with. It's the fact that no one in their right mind cuts a pizza into five or seven slices.

As the author says, no one knows what this seven day NHS is going to look like. All the government have done is distort weekend mortality rates and claim they'll have all week care without providing any detail.

I think the motivation to the "all the government has done" is the question. Simply stating it was in the manifesto isn't enough either - it's the why on that question.

Concern over death rates doesn't cut it considering how blasé they are about benefit sanction deaths.

The "weekend effect" which supposedly started all this shite has now been proven as bollocks.

It's almost like there was another reason for it.....

There's now a video of Hunt describing the impending old people care crisis as "a commercial opportunity" - just for those who doubt the motive argument.