Remember your first day at work?

SEA Mag

I remember my first day (15 years ago !) I was convinced I was going to get the sack within the first hour because I'd flunked all my exams.

I was just having a laugh about this recently... I was dead nervous on my first day at work, then I was worried that I wouldn't like one of the lasses I had to work with.. she's one of my closest friends now though. :lol:

piece of piss mate, sooner you realise it's like school the better.

except the "teachers" are usually bigger dicks and know less about the job than you (who have just started) do.

after a couple of weeks it'll become a routine and easy.

I got caught on all sorts of pranks, the worst was being sent to the stores and ask for a "long weight", it was 30mins before I realised.

Keep smiling, trust nobody, don't turn up pissed (i've seen it happen...), be on time, slightly over dress

Don't go for a long stand, tartan paint etc etc

Don't ask "When can I take a day off"

Make sure you know who the Boss is and what he/she looks like

Get onto IT and get your PC up and running asap

Always treat people lower down the company well - it pays out big time when you need to find out something/cut corners

DON'T PANIC!!!!

and the best of luck.........................

Keep smiling, trust nobody, don't turn up pissed (i've seen it happen...), be on time, slightly over dress

Don't go for a long stand, tartan paint etc etc

Don't ask "When can I take a day off"

Make sure you know who the Boss is and what he/she looks like

Get onto IT and get your PC up and running asap

Always treat people lower down the company well - it pays out big time when you need to find out something/cut corners

DON'T PANIC!!!!

and the best of luck.........................

6538[/snapback]

Great advice young Rob :lol:

Thanks guys for the advice! I'll remember not to trust anyone. :lol: It's a supervisory kind of job though I can't see myself managing anyone yet, cos I've never done so in my entire life. :lol: Hope it all goes well for me tomorrow yea.. :lol:

Thanks guys for the advice! I'll remember not to trust anyone.  :lol:  It's a supervisory kind of job though I can't see myself managing anyone yet, cos I've never done so in my entire life.  :lol: Hope it all goes well for me tomorrow yea.. :lol:

6596[/snapback]

treat the workers as you would like to be treat yourself

tell them what you want them to do AND why - they will have a dozen bright ideas that will work

you can't do it all yourself - and as long as its done properly, on time etc etc it doesn't matter they haven't done it the way YOU want to do it

Thanks guys for the advice! I'll remember not to trust anyone.  :lol:  It's a supervisory kind of job though I can't see myself managing anyone yet, cos I've never done so in my entire life.  :lol: Hope it all goes well for me tomorrow yea.. :lol:

6596[/snapback]

tell them what you want them to do AND why - they will have a dozen bright ideas that will work

you can't do it all yourself - and as long as its done properly, on time etc etc it doesn't matter they haven't done it the way YOU want to do it

6613[/snapback]

Speak to people the way you expect to be spoken to and you'll have no problems, anyones a cunt with you make a note of it for a later date, you'll get your chance to pay them back ten fold :lol:

The guy who came in pissed was a treat

It was an Italian company in London - he'd had a quite a "going away do" the night before at his previous job

Turned up looking a very odd shade of white, was given his office and forgot to ask where the Mens Room was. After about an hour, to the increasing hilarity of those of us watching he was turning a very definite shade of green. he started to run up and down looking for the bog with a hand over his mouth.........

Couldn't hold it back so ran into the Italian bosses office (who was sitting behind the desk), picked up the waste paper bin, heaved a monstrous throw into it and ran out with the bin under his arm... let joy be unconfined!!!

But the Italian guy showed true style..... he summoned the guy's boss

"hey, Charlie - your new man will go far I think..... We've been working the company for 25 years and we're all sick to the stomach of it - the new man has managed it on his first morning....... real vison I think...................."

6596[/snapback]

6613[/snapback]

Speak to people the way you expect to be spoken to and you'll have no problems, anyones a cunt with you make a note of it for a later date, you'll get your chance to pay them back ten fold :lol:

6618[/snapback]

Absolutely - don't get mad - get even!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tis nearly 5 years ago but I remember it well....

Head of Dept said to me "can't stop, i've just found out the company has been sold!"

I thought it was a 'first day at work' gag but it turned out to be true! So I have the distinction of being offered and accepting a job for one company and end up actually working for a different one.

End of August 1997 was the first day of proper post-uni "career" work. It wasn't too bad because there was an intake of about 15 of us, all just left university, and we had training for the first couple of months, so it was a decent laugh.

slightly over dress

6538[/snapback]

Don't MacDonalds provide uniforms?

;)

7407[/snapback]

Definitely in Singapore where SEAMag is...................

slightly over dress

6538[/snapback]

Don't MacDonalds provide uniforms?

;)

7407[/snapback]

Definitely in Singapore where SEAMag is...................

7438[/snapback]

Well don't they all over the world? I know Malaysia does too. Taiwan as well. First day of job was fine.... Did nothing of note and went for several tea breaks. My friend is asking me if I want to go for a short trip at the end of this month. Is it advisable to take 2 days leave in your first month of work? I really want to go!

Thanks guys for the advice! I'll remember not to trust anyone.  B)  It's a supervisory kind of job though I can't see myself managing anyone yet, cos I've never done so in my entire life.  ;) Hope it all goes well for me tomorrow yea.. :P

6596[/snapback]

OK - don't keep us in suspense

WHAT HAPPENED?????????????????????

:second:;);)