Shearer

GPB

Was the England cricket team's "barmy army" tosspots a thing back then?.....I think England's support in general over the years has gone a bit like that, in lots of ways it's a good thing. Depends how much you respect Stevie and his mates chucking plastic chairs at the police in Charleroi in 2000 then getting scuttled by water canon on News at Ten :D

I wasn't at the Germany game, stayed in Amsterdam after Portugal in Eindhoven, but I WAS at the Romania game. Behaved like a saint. Don't even think I had more than 6 Juliper, what a fucking cracking lager on the pump that was over there.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't at the Germany game, stayed in Amsterdam after Portugal in Eindhoven, but I WAS at the Romania game. Behaved like a saint. Don't even think I had more than 6 Juliper, what a fucking cracking lager on the pump that was over there.

That Jupiler is nice as well ;)

That Jupiler is nice as well ;)

Aye man! :excl:

When I was in Brussels the day before Charleroi, I went to the oldest pub in Belgium 230 years old. I had a drink called kriek, basically cherry lager, got me pissed after 3 bottles.

No banning order for you then.....they've changed the face of England's support more than anything...they don't get everyone though, lad I know from Poole was deported from Sweden 92 and France 98, he's in Thailand at the moment with all the other "retired" hooligans in Pattaya, and he's still got tickets from whatever has replaced the England travel club for all three group games in France next month :lol:

• 7 months later...
It is, but makes the common error of assuming/not recalling that Shearer never joined a humdrum, average side but instead joined the main contenders for Man U's new dominance of the title.

It is, but makes the common error of assuming/not recalling that Shearer never joined a humdrum, average side but instead joined the main contenders for Man U's new dominance of the title.

I just laughed at the comment "Slumming it at Newcastle", made me feel it was tinged in sarcasm.

Love Big Al an unhealthy amount. We probably won't ever have a better player than him in his first season here. He had fucking everything. Absolutely unplayable, at any level. The English strikers around at the time and none of them even laid a glove on Shearer's England place. I think I even got choked up when he broke the goalscoring record :lol: Don't buy into this "too much influence" shite either, it's characters like him that you want to have influence. 

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

Love Big Al an unhealthy amount. We probably won't ever have a better player than him in his first season here. He had fucking everything. Absolutely unplayable, at any level. The English strikers around at the time and none of them even laid a glove on Shearer's England place. I think I even got choked up when he broke the goalscoring record :lol: Don't buy into this "too much influence" shite either, it's characters like him that you want to have influence. 

I doubt we'll see his Premier League scoring record broken, simply phenomenal.

I doubt we'll see his Premier League scoring record broken, simply phenomenal.

It's an amazing record like, especially when you take into account the long stretches he missed during a couple of bad injuries.

Plus the fact we were shit for post SBR

And he played under Dalglish and Gullit who hardly got the best out of him. Imagine Robson taking the reigns directly from Keegan. Might be rose-tinted, but I'm convinced we'd have won the league and Shearer would have further added to his tally.

And he played under Dalglish and Gullit who hardly got the best out of him. Imagine Robson taking the reigns directly from Keegan. Might be rose-tinted, but I'm convinced we'd have won the league and Shearer would have further added to his tally.

At the time he was playing under Gullit I must admit I thought he was finished.  Just goes to show how bad a manager Gullit was.

At the time he was playing under Gullit I must admit I thought he was finished.  Just goes to show how bad a manager Gullit was.

And by extension how important a good manager can be. 

And by extension how important a good manager can be. 

Aye but given that average (at best) managers still managed to get something out of an ageing Shearer after Sir Bobby went, it probably says more about how bad Gullit was.  At least he had the decency to resign instead of taking us for millions like some others did.

Aye but given that average (at best) managers still managed to get something out of an ageing Shearer after Sir Bobby went, it probably says more about how bad Gullit was.  At least he had the decency to resign instead of taking us for millions like some others did.

How much of that was down to Robson rebuilding him? Doesn't Shearer talk about Robson almost re-educating him how to play? Something about showing the defenders his back? 

How much of that was down to Robson rebuilding him? Doesn't Shearer talk about Robson almost re-educating him how to play? Something about showing the defenders his back? 

I think he's said he spoke to him more about getting back to what he'd done well in the past.  I don't doubt Robson had a very positive influence on him, I just feel it was only needed because of what Gullit had done wrong.  That's not knocking Robson in any way just saying it shouldn't have been needed.