Sports Neglect

trooper

12/05/2016

Yesterday evening Newcastle United were relegated from the Premier League for the second time in the space of eight seasons, and only the sixth time in our history, following a win by our arch rivals Sunderland no less.

Nobody can argue this relegation has not been coming or that it is undeserved. Since the fateful day Mike Ashley took over our club nearly nine years ago, the clubs average league finishing position has dropped to 14th (from 9th in the same period before Ashleys arrival) and the club has been involved in relegation scraps in three of the last four seasons.

Make no mistake, this relegation has long been on the cards. The increased spending in the past two transfer windows (not of penny of which came directly from Ashley), using a failed transfer model targeting inexperienced players over proven quality, reeks of a desperate last ditch effort attempt to cling on to Premier League riches rather than a genuine sign of ambition. As does the late and desperate appointment of Rafa Benitez, a quality manager and a man of class and dignity who deserves our respect for attempting to, and almost succeeding in, preventing the inevitable from happening.

Less than twelve months ago, with the club on the brink of relegation, Mike Ashley had the followingmessage to the clubs fans:

[Responsibility lies at] my door. () We may have the cart financially but we now need to bolt the horse on it, and were going to () Today we dont need to be unlucky, not today. But from this day forward we will definitely be making our own luck.

In the coming days and weeks we will no doubt hear that a thorough review into the clubs failings in the past season will take place, as we seem to do at the end of every season, but nothing ever changes in the clubs philosophy. Some heads may even roll as Ashley will want to lay the blame at the door of the incompetent lackeys he elected to appoint in key positions in the first place. From Llambias to Charnley, from Wise to Carr and from Kinnear to Pardew to Carver to McClaren the names have changed but the same failings remain. The one constant throughout the last nine years of almost complete and utter failure has been Mike Ashley himself, the man who would have the fans believe he has had nil effect on the conduct of the club at board and pitch level.

It is clear thought that the the culture of failure that has pervaded every area of the club in the past nine years, and which has led to embarrassing results from the senior team to the reserve and youth teams, doesnt stem from the stewards, the tea lady, the academy prospects or, in many ways, even the first team it always comes from the very top.

At AshleyOut.com we have laid low but we have not gone away. We have tried to remain active on social media but as individuals we cannot devote all of our time to this campaign we have families and jobs like everyone else.

We always have and always will require the support of fellow fans. We cannot achieve anything on our own and we need the fanbase to be united in protest to have any hope of achieving our objective of creating a better future of Newcastle United. To that end, we implore fans to join us in the #AshleyEmbargo, i.e. to not spend another penny on Mike Ashleys Newcastle United and to awaken from apathy and disillusionment to join any protests we or others may organise in the future.

Contrary to popular opinion, there are potential buyers out there and there always have been. The problem has never been a lack of interest in the club but rather Ashleys reluctance to even speak to interested parties. Ashleys relationship with Newcastle is parasitic, he is using our club as a billboard and profiting at the clubs expense.

Its up to us, as fans, to make perfectly clear to him that he is not wanted here and that his other business interests will suffer if he remains.

The last word from Ashley himself, not long ago speaking to Sky News:

Do I regret getting into football? The answer is yes. () I wanted to help Newcastle, I wanted to make it better. I do not seem to have had that effect.

Indeed you havent Mike. Time to sell up and leave.

#AshleyOut

What would be more beneficial to the club? Boycotting and protesting Ashley to leave making the manager's position even less appealing to Benitez or that the hierarchy of the club convince Benitez to stay the year in the Championship but with Rafa, comes Charnley, Carr, et al?

Not being facetious by the way. This is the issue as I see it.

Edited by AmericanMag

What would be more beneficial to the club? Boycotting and protesting Ashley to leave making the manager's position even less appealing to Benitez or that the hierarchy of the club convince Benitez to stay the year in the Championship but with Rafa, comes Charnley, Carr, et al?

Not being facetious by the way. This is the issue as I see it.

They don't give a fuck, man.

2 relegations in 8 years, if Ashley stays it'll be more of the same. I fail to see how protesting against the owner & the way the club has been run would affect Rafa's decision wether to stay or not. In fact I think it would show him what this club really means to the fans. Sitting there saying & doing nothing will show Rafa that we're quite happy with the way things are at the club.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/8016878/Liverpool-directors-know-nothing-about-football-blasts-Rafa-Benitez.html

I remember a certain Mr Keegan telling us the same thing about this lot. Rafa won't be able to work with them

We've just been relegated, you really think he'd assume we're happy with that situation if there are no protests? :lol:

Tbh there's nothing like the anger & resentment towards Ashley that there should be. To be relegated twice in 8 years & been 15th, 10th & 16th in the last 3 previous seasons. There should be absolute hell on about this rather than acceptance. A.O.com have & are in the process I believe of organising things against Ashley with the aim of driving him out of the club. I'm not sure why they haven't been fully supported as they seem like very knowledgeable people with the sole interest of trying to get SJP being the home for NUFC not some giant advertising placard for SD. Everybody holds Kevin Keegan in high regard & rightly so we've all seen the interview were he says "Ashley doesn't know how to run a football club" now we're relegated for the 2nd time in 8 years do you believe him ? If so isn't it time to show Ashley that his numbers up. Tbh I've thought for a while this is the part were Ashley sells up & leaves. Let's see what happens.

I don't see it. If he sells up now he makes a massive loss. That's not how he operates. I he'll try to get us back up again at the first attempt - like last time we went down. No number of protests are going to influence him. That much is clear by now. The pig headed obese git

Edited by Dr Gloom

No boycotts, no banners and no protests

It does fuck all in my opinion, but that's just me

If you change nothing, nothing changes.

That piece of Solomon like wisdom was brought to you from a sandwich board outside a hairdresser's near mine. :good:

What were you doing reading hairdresser sandwich boards? Yearning?

I thought I saw Ant's car parked outside so was checking to see if he was working inside.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-fc-mike-ashley-could-7957467#vwOiGs17lFA5bCp4.97

IF he is found to be breaking rules, bosses have the right to kick Newcastle out of their set-up in a move which would effectively see United frozen out of professional football.

Without prejudice to the range of other sanctions that may be imposed in respect of such breach, any club in breach of any of the aforesaid regulations may with the sanction of a special resolution passed at an Annual or Extraordinary General Meeting of The League, be expelled from The League. There shall be no right of appeal against such expulsion.

Edited by trooper

If you change nothing, nothing changes.

That piece of Solomon like wisdom was brought to you from a sandwich board outside a hairdresser's near mine. :good:

But the fans aren't the ones who can change anything though. They know we are pissed off, they know we don't like how the football club is being run and they know we want Benitez to stay

It's up to the board to change things

Edited by gpirlo68

But the fans aren't the ones who can change anything though. They know we are pissed off, they know we don't like how the football club is being run and they know we want Benitez to stay

It's up to the board to change things

A couple of games in front of an empty St James' park and things would change. Trouble is there are too many people who go for the day out, too many stag dos, too many splinter groups within the fanbase, for that ever to occur.

If it was 10 year ago there'd be a tonne of planned protests and a lot happening from cms groups to try and get pressure on the board to change things. Now fans can't be bothered because of the tenure of Ashley, he's made us feel as fans as worthless and not bothered about the club as tbh I'm not that arsed about us going down, it's had no effect on me, whereas years ago it would have.

Our expectations have lowered so relegation isn't as shocking as it once was. Pretty sure that's all there is to it.

The reality is that at this point in time, we all more or less expect to be where we are.

As a fan I should be angry/disgusted that we finished in the bottom 3 but I'm not and I think many others aren't, as evidenced by this board over the last few days. The tenureship of Ashley has brought that feeling of 'meh' towards the club and it's going to be hard to bring any sort of passion back.

You see this is were Ashley has played a blinder "we are were I expect us to be " " Ashley has brought a feeling of meh" other comments I've read "we go for the craic" "it gets me away from the missus" "we've always gone". This is why he can get away with virtually anything at NUFC. Not one comment says we go to watch the football. It's what SJP is famous for the home of NUFC & now we've been relegated again for the 2nd time since Ashley took over & it's "well it's expected" really ? You spend £100s a year & I doesn't bother you the teams relegated I find that really strange

That's what I'm saying. I don't go to games anymore, I haven't for a few year. It's because of Ashley, he's took that love of the club away from the fans. I had no feeling towards us being relegated and I know that's strange, I can't remember the last time I celebrated a goal or felt annoyed that we'd conceded.

I'm all for organised protests and things that help uniting fans against Ashley.

I'm pissed off we've been relegated. But we've been in the bottom three all season so I expected it and I'm not a fucking nancy who's going to be crying on the television. These things happen and you just have to get over it. Pressure should be put on Ashley to make sure he attempts to keep Rafa (I don't believe he will stay but the effort has to be made) or appoints a proper replacement. But unless any of us have a spare £300m in the bank, there's fuck all we can do to force him to leave. This is the difference compared to the days of McKeag. We weren't owned by a billionaire back then so we could hurt the owner financially back then to the point where he was desperate to sell. Ashley will sell when he's good and ready and I've not seen anyone come up with a realistic way to make that happen any sooner.