Leeds

Grasshopper

Napoli

AIK Gothenburg

Hannover

Athletico Madrid

Legia Warsaw

1860 Munich

Doesn't count because the qualification rules according to the mackems. Tbf the older mackems recognise the achievement, the younger ones, not so much.....

But yeah, very hard competition and amazing we won it. Before even I was born though......

Edited by Renton

My mate's dad is Ron Guthrie- he's rightly proud of his Fairs Cup winners medal and FA Cup winners medal from when he went to the Dark Side.

He was also in Blyth Spartans' FA cup giant-killers team.

My mate's dad is Ron Guthrie- he's rightly proud of his Fairs Cup winners medal and FA Cup winners medal from when he went to the Dark Side.

That's a great career :good:

Think it was Stevie who mentioned the 4-2 aggregate shoeing (4-nowt first leg @ SJP) we dished out to the Feyenoord side who would win the European Cup itself 12 months later...that was probably our best result outside of the final.

He's in a quiz question - supposedly the only bloke to have played in every round (including all the qualifying rounds) of the cup

I never really appreciated how big a win this was for us until

I saw some of the teams in the competition that year

Panathanaikos

Chelsea

Rangers

Athletic Bilbao

Liverpool

Juventus

Eintracht Frankfurt

Real Zaragoza

Sporting Lisbon

Valencia

Feyenoord

Lyon

Nice

Dynamo Zagreb

Fiorentina

Rapid Bucharest

Bologna

FC Basel

Marseille

Metz

Salvia Prague

Hamburg

Standard Liege

Leeds

Grasshopper

Napoli

AIK Gothenburg

Hannover

Athletico Madrid

Legia Warsaw

1860 Munich

Some big teams there, but what were their standards at the time? Genuinely curious.

I had the full cup run of Spartans programmes from 1978 minus the 1st qualifying round. It finally came up on eBay for the first time in a decade and I missed out on it. Sold the rest in a strop that week

I had the full cup run of Spartans programmes from 1978 minus the 1st qualifying round. It finally came up on eBay for the first time in a decade and I missed out on it. Sold the rest in a strop that week

If I can't have you, I don't want nobody baby.

Fairs Cup 1968/69 season.

I went to every home game.The only time we played in front of 60,000+ was away to Rangers.75,000.

Leeds won the league that season and were beaten home and away by Ujpest Dozsa.

Ujpest Dozsa won their league that season and the following 6 seasons.

Chelsea finished 5 th that season

Liverpool were runners up.

Fiorentina won Serie A that season.

Feyernoord won the Dutch league that season.

Feyernoord won the European Cup the season after.

Sporting Lisbon won the Portuguese league the season after.

I read Jackie Milburn's auto-biography a few years ago and he made the point about the Fairs cup that Don Revie spoke about Ujpest after they's knocked Leeds out where he described them as the best team in Europe and predicted they were going to hammer us easily.

Recently on rtg they have admitted visiting this site so i know they will follow my posts for the truth they would rather not read but feel they have to.Unfortunately being blasted out the water isn't something they want to experience.Come makems.Come and answer my questions.It's good to talk.

It was accepted by most people that winning the Fairs/UEFA Cup was more difficult than winning the EC for loads of reasons. Nottingham Forest beat MIGHTY MALMO to win it one year. It all changed in the early 90's.

It was accepted by most people that winning the Fairs/UEFA Cup was more difficult than winning the EC for loads of reasons. Nottingham Forest beat MIGHTY MALMO to win it one year. It all changed in the early 90's.

With the caveat that you had to be your nation's title winners (or winners of the previous year's competition) to get into it. We were nowhere near good enough to win the league when we won the Fairs Cup. It was still a brilliant achievement though. Your argument holds water however. The Uefa Cup in its old incarnation was the hardest European competition to win too before the European Cup expansion/Champions League. The entry criteria can't be ignored at the same time.

Edited by Alex