Fairs Cup Win

Kid Dynamite

With the caveat that you had to be your nation's title winners (or winners of the previous year's competition) to get into it. We were nowhere near good enough to win the league when we won the Fairs Cup. It was still a brilliant achievement though. Your argument holds water however. The Uefa Cup in its old incarnation was the hardest European competition to win too before the European Cup expansion/Champions League. The entry criteria can't be ignored at the same time.

Anyone could compete for the title in those days. Look at Derby (2 in 4 years), Leeds, Forest. Not many people realise or go on about it but in the year I was born 1977, we lost 4 of our last 5 games but if we'd won those last four we'd have been League Champions. We were an average team working hard. We were so mediocre, (with near enough the same squad) we came bottom the next season. Football in the late 60s and 70s was a complete mix up, and the fact we beat Feyenoord 4-0, who were Champions of Europe 18 months later, proves we could compete. One of our downsides was, while we always had attacking teams over a 10 year period, as Supermac often says we'd win one game 5-0 (should've been 10) and lose the next 5-0 (could've been 20).

I met Supermac at the NSC final. Shattered my illusion a bit, him and Gibbo liked like a couple of tramps on the lash.

My dad hero worshipped him as a kid and he was good enough to get a photo with him, albeit with a twisty face

I met Supermac at the NSC final. Shattered my illusion a bit, him and Gibbo liked like a couple of tramps on the lash.

My dad hero worshipped him as a kid and he was good enough to get a photo with him, albeit with a twisty face

My dad was like that about Len White.

Most people of his age completely went mental over Tony Green. 33 games he played for us and you'd think he was Pele.

Anyone could compete for the title in those days. Look at Derby (2 in 4 years), Leeds, Forest. Not many people realise or go on about it but in the year I was born 1977, we lost 4 of our last 5 games but if we'd won those last four we'd have been League Champions. We were an average team working hard. We were so mediocre, (with near enough the same squad) we came bottom the next season. Football in the late 60s and 70s was a complete mix up, and the fact we beat Feyenoord 4-0, who were Champions of Europe 18 months later, proves we could compete. One of our downsides was, while we always had attacking teams over a 10 year period, as Supermac often says we'd win one game 5-0 (should've been 10) and lose the next 5-0 (could've been 20).

There was a more even playing field financially but it wasn't that easy to win the league. The sides you mention who won it all had the brilliant managers, with Revie at Leeds and Clough (or more specifically Clough and Taylor) at Forest and Derby. Like I said though I'm not having a pop at the Fairs Cup win in terms of being a good achievement. The European Cup was (arguably at least) easier to win, but it was harder to get into it too. That's a point worth making I think.

There was a more even playing field financially but it wasn't that easy to win the league. The sides you mention who won it all had the brilliant managers, with Revie at Leeds and Clough (or more specifically Clough and Taylor) at Forest and Derby. Like I said though I'm not having a pop at the Fairs Cup win in terms of being a good achievement. The European Cup was (arguably at least) easier to win, but it was harder to get into it too. That's a point worth making I think.

Fair enough. I can't remember his name but one of Clough's big centre halfs in 72 won Derby's 75 title as manager.

Fair enough. I can't remember his name but one of Clough's big centre halfs in 72 won Derby's 75 title as manager.

Dave Mackay. I just looked that up btw, I never realised he'd been the manager that year. He's the bloke in this pic getting hold of Billy Bremner which you'll have seen:

Dave-Mackay-009.jpg

He hated that photo apparently. Even though it's class. Won the double with Spurs as a player too. My dad reckons he was class. He only died last year.

And then the following year we got relegated... Typical!

If you had to pick 5 toon games to go to before you were born who would they be? I'd have chosen:

1971 Newcastle 3 Liverpool 2 (Super Mac debut hat-trick)

1969 Newcastle 2 Rangers 0

1969 Newcastle 3 Ujpesti Dosza 0

1955 Newcastle 3 Blackpool 1 (Wembley)

1955 Sunderland 1 Newcastle 6

I wasn't at the last two.Tony Green is the best player I've seen in a black and white shirt.For people your fatha's age to rate him so highly shows you how good he was.

we qualified for the Fairs Cup in the 1968/69 season by finishing 5 places above the makems.That shuts them up.

If you had to pick 5 toon games to go to before you were born who would they be? I'd have chosen:

1971 Newcastle 3 Liverpool 2 (Super Mac debut hat-trick)

1969 Newcastle 2 Rangers 0

1969 Newcastle 3 Ujpesti Dosza 0

1955 Newcastle 3 Blackpool 1 (Wembley)

1955 Sunderland 1 Newcastle 6

The three 50's FA cup wins, I'd like to have seen Hughie Gallagher , and the 3-3 at Joker Park in 1967, we were down 3-1 with 20 minutes left, got it back to 3-2, then this glorious bastard....

johnmcnamee.jpg

John McNamee, headed the equaliser and did a pull up on the their crossbar to wind up the inbreeds.

Magnificent :lol:

(My old man reckons he was the hardest bastard he's ever seen in professional football)

Edit; I was born in 1968, do this just scrapes in ;)

Edit 2; He scored in front the Fulwell, which was full of our support, "sending them light" to quote the big man.

http://www.true-faith.co.uk/derby-day-memories-1/