The pre season thread

gpirlo68

Aarons seems to be getting a lot of game time this pre season, which is encouraging. Hope he stays fit as he looks a prospect and could do well in the championship

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea of Lascelles as Captain more and more. When Taylor was emerging all his chest beating rhetoric was cringe inducing, but when Lascelles talks I buy it.

I like the idea of Lascelles as Captain more and more. When Taylor was emerging all his chest beating rhetoric was cringe inducing, but when Lascelles talks I buy it.

I'm not buying it yet. He has an awful lot to say for someone who has only completed ten league games for us.

I'm not buying it yet. He has an awful lot to say for someone who has only completed ten league games for us.

Aye, but you're a big old cynic. :MITRO:

I like how he seems to back up what he says, rather than the rhetoric from Taylor. Me and Tooj were on about that on Saturday night. But agree I it's too early for him to get the armband. He needs to concentrate on being a consistent first team performer first.

I like how he seems to back up what he says, rather than the rhetoric from Taylor. Me and Tooj were on about that on Saturday night. But agree I it's too early for him to get the armband. He needs to concentrate on being a consistent first team performer first.

Speaking of that, who would be a good shout for the captaincy?

Of the players who are here and seem set to be regular first teamers, the options, other than Lascelles, seem to be Shelvey or Janmaat. I'm not convinced Janmaat will be here long which would rule him out but might bring Gamez into the mix. I suppose if Lascelles doesn't cement his position in the team then that brings Hanley into the equation also.

I would give captaincy to Janmaat

Really?!

He went missing in a few games and pumping his fist and launching into tackles isn't really captain material for me.

Really?!

He went missing in a few games and pumping his fist and launching into tackles isn't really captain material for me.

It wasn't that long ago that people were saying he should be captain iirc

He was caught out of position a lot last year but that was mainly due to McClaren's tactics.

I don't think we have a standout candidate for captaincy tbh

It wasn't that long ago that people were saying he should be captain iirc

He was caught out of position a lot last year but that was mainly due to McClaren's tactics.

I don't think we have a standout candidate for captaincy tbh

It wasn't, but his decline was as sharp as it was unexpected.

I think Lascelles is my pick for the captaincy.

Lascelles looks to be Rafa's first choice centre back at the minute. Ryder is talking up that it will be a decision between Mbemba and Hanley to partner him. Personally I think it should be Mbemba and one of the other two as I think he's our best defender and both of the other two would compliment him. But who am I to doubt Rafa. If this is true then Lascelles looks like a good choice. Some very good captains have been given the role early in their careers so his inexperience shouldn't necessarily be an issue. I think what is more important than who is captain, is that we have more leaders now in Lacelles, Gamez and Hanley.

Even though he may end up not getting a game?

As DK says, it looks like he's Rafa's 1st choice CB, so I suggested him because I expect him to play a lot.

Lascelles should be captain, I like what I'm seeing in preseason - having two "junior" centre backs and a veteran, with Champions league experience to help them on. Over the next 2 years, this could show itself as a master stroke.

Janmatt is another of those players that I think gets a really rough ride from this forum, for me, you can't question his will to win and I understand him getting totally fucked off and losing it last year - that side was fuckin awful at times.

I wouldn't give him captain though as some players just don't have the required temperament , but I honestly can't seem him leaving the club at the moment.

Edited by scoobos

I agree with people about it being a bit too early for Lascelles but I think the sheer dearth of other options might see him get it as he's obviously someone Rafa thinks highly of. I'd fucking listen to him as well, the size of him.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione