Rio Summer Olympics 2016 - Surviving is the Real Medal

Ayatollah Hermione

After the roaring success of my Euros thread, I thought I'd start this for what looks set to be a complete disaster. The velodrome hasn't been built, the Zika virus might kill every unborn baby in sight, the pollution in the rivers is making the Brazilian athletes ill, the defense budget has been slashed so much that a Paralympian was mugged at gun point outside of her hotel and they've just impeached their President.

I can't fucking wait to see that ginger hop, skip and jumper jump in his sand pit and land on a used needle.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the roaring success of my Euros thread, I thought I'd start this for what looks set to be a complete disaster. The velodrome hasn't been built, the Zika virus might kill every unborn baby in sight, the pollution in the rivers is making the Brazilian athletes ill, the defense budget has been slashed so much that a Paralympian was mugged at gun point outside of her hotel and they've just impeached their President.

I can't fucking wait to see that ginger hop, skip and jumper jump in his sand pit and land on a used needle.

You forgot to mention the shooting of an endangered species used during a torch ceremony...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/21/americas/brazil-jaguar-shot-dead/index.html

• 1 month later...

So, just about every Russian athlete isn't going thanks to them loving their drugs and the BBC say that these kind of scandals are limiting interest in the games, proving that people watch these to see freakish lasses chuck a hammer for 17 miles. I'm still excited like. Some more football, Scandinavian women playing handball and potential of the swimmers contracting cholera from the water should all be good fun

I'm really excited for this btw, even with some of the late event times for those of us running on GMT. Really like athletics.

Going back to 2012 the outstanding track and field moment for me had to be that 800m final.

Aye that happened the same day as Ennis and all them iirc and blew the lot of them out of the water. The mad cunt just sprinted from the gun for two laps. Never seen anything like it.

Aye that happened the same day as Ennis and all them iirc and blew the lot of them out of the water. The mad cunt just sprinted from the gun for two laps. Never seen anything like it.

He always does it man. Proper love Rudisha like, one of my favourite athletes ever. Seems dead down to Earth too.

The documentaries the Beeb have done on him and Brother Colm are worth a watch.

Well the opening ceremony is this evening.

Should be a good laugh. Watch golden girl 'R Lizzie' romp away with Womens Gold in the Road Race, followed by the Dawg smashing the TT and possibly the RR.

I follow a cyclist on Twitter who is there and has been there for a week or so and he said ignore all the media reports about the village and stuff not been finished, he said it looks superb. Facilities are amazing AND each fucking athlete gets a free Samsung phone!

Can Rio beat London as the dirtiest games in history?

Is there much interest in this at all?

In 2012 I wasnt bothered until the opening day and I watched quite a lot.

Not sure I will as much due to the time difference this year but should be good to watch.