Rio Summer Olympics 2016 - Surviving is the Real Medal

Ayatollah Hermione

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I didn't but I have my doubts about the cycling. Why are we suddenly so much better than the rest of the world. The rowing I accept because you need to have posh blood to be any good at it and we're world leaders at inbred, old money aristocracy.

I wish I didn't but I have my doubts about the cycling. Why are we suddenly so much better than the rest of the world. The rowing I accept because you need to have posh blood to be any good at it and we're world leaders at inbred, old money aristocracy.

Vogel said the same the other day.

Yesterday she had a visit from UCI president and ex BC president Brian 'Im a boring Lancashire Fuck' Cookson.

Isn't it a combination of money, and the inspirational "success" of Boardman, Hoy, Wiggins etc.?

They might still get past us of course but yes, this is a huge national embarrassment to China. I noticed their media outlets changed tack a few days back and started talking about how China didn't need to prove anything on the global stage, and how it was important only that their athletes came home safe. Not a bad attitude to have going forward, but you just know they'd be giving it the big one if they were doing well.

It's not suddenly though is it? Hasn't it been building for quite a few years with GBC head hunting  people from other sports with no real skill but super human stamina?

It's not suddenly though is it? Hasn't it been building for quite a few years with GBC head hunting  people from other sports with no real skill but super human stamina?

this is the third olympics running when we've blown the field apart, despite not having a massive pedigree in the sport prior to that. the bit that other (perhaps bitter) leading cyclists from other countries, like vogel and meares, have questioned, is how we raise the standard so highly at the olympics every four years without performing consistently in between at other competitions. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

I mean, surely GB isn't doping on cycling. I could maybe believe individual athletes but the whole team? We're just not that kind of country, we have nothing to prove.

...Right?

Lottery funding has far more to do with the success of British cycling than doping iyam,and Hoy/Wiggins coming through over a decade ago.

Jamaican sprinting though has been littered with dopers for the last decade....there's more of a doubt over Bolt because of that for me, but if he's ran clean his entire career it's the fault of his teammates who have been caught rather than the public viewing him with suspicion.

Edited by PaddockLad

this is the third olympics running when we've blown the field apart, despite not having a massive pedigree in the sport prior to that. the bit that other (perhaps bitter) leading cyclists from other countries like vogel and meares have questioned, is how we raise the standard so highly at the olympucs every four years without performing consistently in between at other competitions.

British cyclists toss the world champs off according to the talking heads on the bbcs coveredge, they basically train for the Olympics only because medals there earn them their funding, not from the WC.

Vogel said the same the other day.

Yesterday she had a visit from UCI president and ex BC president Brian 'Im a boring Lancashire Fuck' Cookson.

Never mind a doping problem, cycling really needs to look at its nickname problem.

British cyclists toss the world champs off according to the talking heads on the bbcs coveredge, they basically train for the Olympics only because medals there earn them their funding, not from the WC.

I can understand raising your game for the Olympics. It does seem odd that they're not even competitive at the world championships.

i want to believe in our success; it does seem remarkable though. but like rayvin alluded to, it's not very british is it? spirit of cricket and all that. 

Edited by Dr Gloom