Rio Summer Olympics 2016 - Surviving is the Real Medal

Ayatollah Hermione

Whatevs. The last few world cups and euros have been unmitigated shite btw. Last passable world cup was mayyyybe 98. I won't accept alternative views on this.

:lol:

Fair enough. :good:

P.s. enjoy the synchronised tiddlywinks event later today. I hear team GB's Mark Jenkins from Leamington Spa has a great chance of a silver.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the Olympics. First one I can properly remember is LA in '84 although I have some vague recollections of Moscow four years earlier. Alan Wells and Seb Coe.

Whatevs. The last few world cups and euros have been unmitigated shite btw. Last passable world cup was mayyyybe 98. I won't accept alternative views on this.

Missing the glaring point that Euro 2000 was indisputably the best football tournament ever to take place :razz:

I've always enjoyed the Olympics, as Alex says the first one I remember is Moscow 1980 when Alan Wells won the 100m. We'd just moved to Scotland and to say he returned a national hero is something of an understatement. The US and others boycotted that year (Thatcher made shot putting budgie breeder Geoff Capes stay at home though, because he was in the police :glare: ) but it's a fact that Wells beat every single one of his main rivals over the course of that summer, he went to the US in the September to take on the main yank contender and beat him too. I think there's the whiff of doping about Wells's achievements now though, which is a shame. Also Daley Thomson wearing a t shirt with " is the worlds second greatest athlete gay?" On the podium at the LA games in 84 after Carl Lewis won four golds :lol:

I saw Alan Wells beat Ben Johnson at Gateshead stadium. Notable (obviously) because Johnson was on the cusp of becoming the fastest man in the world (he won the world championships the following year) but also because it was 1986 and Johnson had become the Commonwealth champion in Edinburgh just before that, but Wells wasn't even selected to run for Scotland. Funnily enough, since you mention him, I can remember Wells' lap of honour with all the British athletes congratulating him and he came to a group of them that included Daley Thompson. Thompson sort of slinked to the back of the group and the pair basically ignored each other. Seemed a bit odd. It goes without saying that big egos don't always get on like.

I saw Alan Wells beat Ben Johnson at Gateshead stadium. Notable (obviously) because Johnson was on the cusp of becoming the fastest man in the world (he won the world championships the following year) but also because it was 1986 and Johnson had become the Commonwealth champion in Edinburgh just before that, but Wells wasn't even selected to run for Scotland. Funnily enough, since you mention him, I can remember Wells' lap of honour with all the British athletes congratulating him and he came to a group of them that included Daley Thompson. Thompson sort of slinked to the back of the group and the pair basically ignored each other. Seemed a bit odd. It goes without saying that big egos don't always get on like.

From wiki...

Wells missed most of 1985 with injury. He was not selected for the Commonwealth Games in Edinburgh in 1986, as he had failed to compete at the Scottish trials. However, in a stunning comeback, he soundly beat both Johnson and Mahorn, the respective Commonwealth 100 m and 200 m champions at Gateshead.

The Scottish commenwealth games officials didn't pick a former Olympic champion for the team in his home city...... I remember the outcry well, and the press campaigns to get him there. All to no avail, the "village hall committee members" didn't budge :lol:

Think the sane happened with Coe in the run up to Seoul in 1988?

I like some of the minority sports in both the summer and winter Olympics. Always enjoy the curling. My mate said he was glued to the fencing yester

I've watched a bit hockey and swimming so far but can't get into the cycling at all. It's alright round the track but these road races are dull as fuck other than the last 30 seconds.

Juan Samaranch (sp?) mentioned the possibility of Coe competing as an independent athlete in 88 iirc. He would've struggled to win a medal though. Also Britain had some good 1500m runners - Elliot and Cram both made the final and came 2nd and 4th repsectively. Coe was still a better runner than Steve Crabb then though. The case with Wells was just daft though. I think the only other decent sprinter they had was Elliot Bunney (who I think might've made the 4x100m relay team in Seoul).

I've watched the cycling, womens rugby sevens, tennis, archery, synchronised diving, table tennis, archery, handball, canoeing, and, my favourite so far, the fencing.

I love it, I think probably because it's so varied and the athletes are doing it for the love of the sport, quite often making massive sacrifices for their sport. I think it's also probably a lot to do with the fact that I lose more and more interest in football as the years go by (Friday night and the Euros didn't exactly help matters.

The rugby 7s has been good as well, aye. That baldy English lass lobbing people about like ragdolls.

Was telling my laddie that this was the women's rugby sevens while we were watching it and he just wouldn't have it that she wasn't a fella. :lol:

[emoji38] It took a bit of googling for me to be satisfied. My lass was googling "can rugby sevens teams have one man in them".

I have to say, my interest in the sport was initially piqued by a couple of the French players who certainly didn't conform to the usual female rugby player stereotype.

Tbf she probably reasonsled that a stabbing might be her reward for putting up a fight.

Plus it looked like it was only an iPhone anyway. Probably glad for the nudge to finally shift to android.

Somebody has clearly had a word with Helen Skelton like, she's gone from one extreme to the other and is now wearing more clobber than a nun. 

Aye great name. Feel sorry for Daley's dive partner. All the coverage this morning is about how "Tom Daley and his dive partner won the bronze". At least give the fucker a name check, he's an Olympic medalist ffs.

He's not getting one in this post though.

Aye and he has a name and it's Billy Frontflip

:lol:

Just lazy jurno's as per fucking usual.

I've enjoyed watching some of the sport I dont normally watch.  The &s has been good.  Fencing I quite enjoyed too.

Aye, the fencing was good. Quite enjoy the challenge of trying to get your head around the rules and scoring systems for the different events. The wife and I were still scratching our heads on the diving till about round 4 or 5