gpirlo68

Newcastle United have completed the signing of striker Dwight Gayle from Crystal Palace

Newcastle United have completed the signing of Dwight Gayle from Crystal Palace.

The 25-year-old striker arrives at St. James' Park for an undisclosed fee and has put pen to paper on a five-year deal.

Gayle began his professional career at Dagenham & Redbridge and spent time on loan at Bishop's Stortford and Peterborough United before joining the latter permanently in January 2013.

However, just six months later Palace made their move for the front man in a then-club record switch, and Gayle spent three seasons at Selhurst Park, finishing as the Eagles' top scorer in each of them and featuring in the 2016 FA Cup final at Wembley.

"It's a dream come true to be at a big club like this," said Gayle.

"Newcastle has a massive fan base and a great history so it is amazing to be here.

"I can't wait to get started, prove myself and score the goals that take us back up to the Premier League. It's where this Club belongs."

Newcastle United manager Rafa Benitez added: "Dwight is a great player, a proven goalscorer, and it is fantastic news that he has joined us.

"He has a big personality, a lot of energy and pace. He is a good finisher also, so he will add goals to our squad, for sure.

"He knows English football well, too, and that is important in the Championship.

"I am sure Dwight will want to prove he can make a big difference to our team and I am looking forward to working with him."

Welcome to Newcastle!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sought opinion from two Palace mates down here. One said he's class but needs a strike partner. The other reckons he'll be ridiculously good in the championship, probably scoring over 20 goals, but in the premiership not so much.

I suppose the thing is, £10m isn't going to get you a finished article premier league striker these days. Everyone with any knowledge of him seems to think he'll bang them in for us in the championship this season. If that's the case then we'll have got our money's worth and if we go up and he's not up to premier league standard we should be able to at least get the money back.

Very pleased, good signing. Hopefully he will be like a Troy Deeney - grab loads in the championship and score his fair share back in the Premier League. His PL scoring record is not bad either even if you discount the sub appearances (we came back up with Shola, Lovenkrands, and Carroll as our strikers, all of whom had worse strike rates than Gayle.)

Shame Wonga still on it but it's a nicer kit than recent efforts.

He looks a big brute like. Is he an out and out striker then? Or someone to play off Mitrovic if Rafa continues with his 4-2-3-1 formation? Sounds like he's quick, which is a bonus.

Edited by Dr Gloom

From what little I've seen and read, I don't think he's suited to being a one up front on his own. Would do better playing with Mitro. Personally I'm sick to death of one up front. What's the matter with two strikers these days.

He looks a big brute like. Is he an out and out striker then? Or someone to play off Mitrovic if Rafa continues with his 4-2-3-1 formation? Sounds like he's quick, which is a bonus.

Every Palace fan I've seen on twitter are pretty annoyed he's been sold with no replacement ready, they said he'll score for fun in the championship but he struggles to play up top on his own

Rafa likes to play one up top so I guess he could be playing out wide, he might change his formation though

Edited by gpirlo68

I'm sure we'll get some money back on Riviere, a French club will be willing to take a punt. Cisse should've been taken out back and shot years ago with Colo, both of them have been utter dirge since we came 5th.

Plenty of other deadwood to be cleared out. Look at our retained list:

Aarons, Rolando

Ameobi, Samuel
Anita, Vurnon San Benito
Armstrong, Adam James
Barlaser, Daniel Tan
Bigirimana, Gael
Cabella, Remy
Cisse, Papiss Demba
Colback, Jack Raymond
Coloccini, Fabricio
Darlow, Karl
De Jong, Siem
Dummett, Paul
Elliot, Robert
Gillesphey, Macauley (Offer)
Gilliead, Alex Nicholas
Good, Curtis
Gouffran, Yoan
Gutierrez, Ayoze Perez
Haidara, Massadio
Heardman, Tom (Offer)
Janmaat, Daryl
Krul, Timothy Michael
Lascelles, Jamaal
Mbabu, Melingo Kevin (Extended)
Mbemba, Chancel Mangulu
Mitrovic, Aleksander
Riviere, Emmanuel
Roberts, Callum
Saivet, Henri
Satka, Lubomir
Shelvey, Jonjo
Sissoko, Moussa
Smith, Liam Phillip (Offer)
Sterry, Jamie Michael
Thauvin, Florian
Tiote, Cheik Ismael
Toney, Ivan Benjamin Elijah
Townsend, Andros (left)
Vuckic, Haris
Wijnaldum, Georginio
Woodman, Frederick John

All in bolded could/should go, along with one keeper from Krul/Elliott/Darlow.

I think he is about 5'7" so I doubt he will play up top on his own in the championship. If Ritchie signs I wouldn't be surprised to see us play some form of 2 up front.

From what little I've seen and read, I don't think he's suited to being a one up front on his own. Would do better playing with Mitro. Personally I'm sick to death of one up front. What's the matter with two strikers these days.

Heard a Palace fan say that Gayle was wasted in Pardew's system as he wouldn't play him the right way. Not sure what that way is but that's Pardew for you

I think he is about 5'7" so I doubt he will play up top on his own in the championship. If Ritchie signs I wouldn't be surprised to see us play some form of 2 up front.

Read yesterday that he was 5'9". Agree with your point though.

Heard a Palace fan say that Gayle was wasted in Pardew's system as he wouldn't play him the right way. Not sure what that way is but that's Pardew for you

Townsend will be too once he puts him defensive midfield.

His goal record is ok for a lad that has had a lot of sub apps and played under Pardew for a few year. I like this clear switch to a two up top system and I'm excited to see these players come in, Gayle dropping a division tells me he's hungry to prove himself.

'Though the goals per appearance stat is fairly modest at around 1 in 4, it is slightly misleading given how often he came on as a sub. Perhaps a fairer stat is minutes per goal which in his case is 138. To put that in context, Vardy scored every 131 minutes in the league last season.'

Interesting quote

Aye but it mentions that includes goals in the League Cup against lesser lights. At the end of the day though, that's exactly the sort of team we'll be playing.