gpirlo68

Annoying how twitter is character limited. The full message was:

Rafa Benitez says Dwight Gale & Alexander Mitrovic had a finishing competition in training to see who would get the no9 shirt. He was pleased to announce Shola Ameobi as the new no9.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dwight Gayle

By Anthony Marshall - Newcastle United Managing Editor

Dwight Gayle became Newcastle United's latest number nine with the blessing of teammate Aleksandar Mitrovic.

Former Crystal Palace front man Gayle was handed the iconic squad number - which has been worn by the likes of Alan Shearer, Malcolm Macdonald and Jackie Milburn on Tyneside - on Thursday morning, just over 24 hours before the Magpies kick off their Sky Bet Championship campaign at Fulham.

Bit more detail from .cock:

Manager Rafa Benitez revealed that both Gayle and Serbian striker Mitrovic had set their sights on the vacant shirt, but that there is no bad feeling between the pair, who will look to fire United back into the top flight at first time of asking.

"In the end they decided," Benitez revealed.

"I wanted to organise a finishing competition to see who would get the number nine.

"They are both strikers who would normally will score more goals. In the end, Mitro was telling him 'listen, take the number nine'.

"It was not a big issue. The atmosphere is good. I have had a conversation with both. At the beginning they both wanted the number nine but after talking between them it was easy.

"I'm really pleased because they understand the main thing is to be on the pitch and score goals."

• 3 weeks later...

Love to see him and Mitro link up. 

Rafa mentioned that it's good for Perez to score and get his confidence because it'll mean that the opposition have more goal threats to worry about now. If Gayle, Mitrovic, Perez, Ritchie can get into some goal scoring form we could see a healthy For column. The downside is that CT will be closer with his daft predictions.

Yeah it's hard to have any real concerns on scoring potential at this stage, we look strong. I suppose cover for Mitrovic would have been useful but that now looks unlikely.

EDIT - MInd you, Rafa was saying the other day that he sees them as competing for the same spot rather than necessarily being linked up (though he said that was possible too) so I don't know how likely we are to get the pairing we all expect...

Edited by Rayvin

Love to see him and Mitro link up. 

Rafa mentioned that it's good for Perez to score and get his confidence because it'll mean that the opposition have more goal threats to worry about now. If Gayle, Mitrovic, Perez, Ritchie can get into some goal scoring form we could see a healthy For column. The downside is that CT will be closer with his daft predictions.

Aye, I am sure Rafa was trying to rest Gayle yesterday given the matches coming up and what he's done recently.  Would like to see them both on v Brighton or Derby especially.

Yeah it's hard to have any real concerns on scoring potential at this stage, we look strong. I suppose cover for Mitrovic would have been useful but that now looks unlikely.

Got a week left, the links to Bas Dost and that phonecall Rafa made to Haller gives me hope that we're at least trying to strengthen up front.

• 1 month later...

He gets into good positions which is how he gets so many opportunities, he has been missing an awful lot but hopefully if Mitrovic gets to start a long side him he'll have more poacher type chances that he seems to enjoy most.

He gets into good positions which is how he gets so many opportunities, he has been missing an awful lot but hopefully if Mitrovic gets to start a long side him he'll have more poacher type chances that he seems to enjoy most.

Watching the highlights back tonight, all three very good finishes and his misses were inches away. 

• 1 month later...