Another 'Genuine' Leeds Fan in Peace.

Leeds73

Guys, Leeds fan in peace. The guy on the other thread is obviously a wind up merchant, and a complete idiot. In my opinion what makes a club a big club is always subjective.

I always put it down to:

Fanbase (including global)

Crowd/Gates

Stadia

History

Trophies

Leeds United as a club have the above (as do you), and are a club recognised globally, having a number or fan bases nationally and internationally.

So in my opinion Leeds are a big club, not the biggest of the lot and certainly not at the moment due to our current predicament, but we are still classed as a so called bigger club, as are the likes of Derby, Notts Forrest and Sheffield Wednesday among others who have been in the Championship with us for years also.

This year we are adding yourself and Villa to the mix, so although I think we were the biggest club in the Championship, adding you and Villa to the mix opens the debate again somewhat, but I'll let other people decide that! :glare:

I suppose if we weren't a big club we would not be on TV so much. The smaller teams complain the amount of times we are on Sky (as we do due to fixture changes) but broadcasters will always show us due to the high viewership. Especially on a lunch time when BT Sport are showing a Premiership match. See article: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley-fc/why-leeds-united-s-big-tv-ratings-are-bad-news-for-fans-1-7564322

It will however, be interesting what the above numbers will be show at the end of the season now that Villa and Newcastle are in the mix.

For the record I think you are a big club, albeit you haven't won anything (important) for years, but your fan base alone makes you a big club as well as your stadium and crowd/gates. Your attendances have always been good (excluding the 80s), but you can't really compare your attendances to ours in recent times because 1. Your ground holds more than ours (39,460) and 2. We have also been out of the top flight for 12 years, where we have been run by crooks, and cocaine addicted mad chairman who have fleeced our club.

Plus our match day ticket/season ticket prices for a club in the Championship are the highest in the Championship (excluding Brighton and Fulham I think - I'd have to look it up) and more than the majority of Premiership clubs. Try going year after year watching crap, a lack of investment in the team, and selling your prized assets and spending that amount of money on a ticket. It's enough to turn even the loyal of fans away.

Would your team have survived this for 12 years of this crap - I don't think so. yet we take the largest Football League away following in the country, (

We still have a lot of loyal supporters regardless and the core of them will always be there. We just need to see a bit of hope for the future (can't see it at the moment) and the attendances will increase again, no matter the price. It's a sad state of affairs and the feeling of the majority of Leeds fans is that while Cellino is in charge, we will not progress, so fans have started voting with their feet.

Am I wrong your attendances went down last year didn't they and you were in the Premiership? I'm assuming that is due to how the club has been run and who by. Try dealing with that for 12 years, but to be honest even if Ashley left your club is more attractive than ours to investors. Unfortunately investors don't deal with crooks (ours), unless they're a billionaire like Abramovich that don't give a shit.

I'll always have respect for your fans, as I will always remember the Newcastle United fans visiting Elland Road and laying Newcastle shirts down in respect at our Billy Bremner Statue, when our two fans were killed in Istanbul. I'll always remember that and thank you for it.

Anyway, the big club debate will always bring about a passionate discussion, but to say we have been out of the Premiership for 12 years, we are 13th in the list of the All Time Premier League table. No mean feat for a team only there for 12 seasons! I'm just wondering if we'd be above you (8th after 24 seasons) if we'd managed to bounce straight back up after relegation from the Prem. :glare:

Good luck for the season. I think you will finish in the top 2, probably first, but it will be a long hard slog, so don't be surprised if you finished in the Play Offs like West Ham did a few years back when they should have gone up automatically! Meanwhile, Leeds will be struggling to finish in the top half of the table.

Oh and if you want a reasoned intelligent discussion (with the odd derogatory insult thrown in) try The Square Ball: http://forum.thesquareball.net/viewforum.php?f=1 and our Square Ball mag named the country's best fanzine: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/leeds-united-fanzine-aims-for-another-champion-season-1-7396607 It's all we have that is good at the moment, so forgive the sell.

Really surprised that you never came to us with your survey. We'd have responded to your recent survey that you posted on the other sites!

Cheers.

Didn't come to your forum as Google doesn't have it on the 1st page :dunno:

Big club debates are pretty pointless given every fan base will weight one factor more than others to best fit their own team.

I understand why plenty of fans are bothered about it though; it keeps their team relevant whether or not they're competing for honours.

Guys, Leeds fan in peace. The guy on the other thread is obviously a wind up merchant, and a complete idiot. In my opinion what makes a club a big club is always subjective.

I always put it down to:

Fanbase (including global)

Crowd/Gates

Stadia

History

Trophies

Leeds United as a club have the above (as do you), and are a club recognised globally, having a number or fan bases nationally and internationally.

So in my opinion Leeds are a big club, not the biggest of the lot and certainly not at the moment due to our current predicament, but we are still classed as a so called bigger club, as are the likes of Derby, Notts Forrest and Sheffield Wednesday among others who have been in the Championship with us for years also.

This year we are adding yourself and Villa to the mix, so although I think we were the biggest club in the Championship, adding you and Villa to the mix opens the debate again somewhat, but I'll let other people decide that! :glare:

I suppose if we weren't a big club we would not be on TV so much. The smaller teams complain the amount of times we are on Sky (as we do due to fixture changes) but broadcasters will always show us due to the high viewership. Especially on a lunch time when BT Sport are showing a Premiership match. See article: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley-fc/why-leeds-united-s-big-tv-ratings-are-bad-news-for-fans-1-7564322

It will however, be interesting what the above numbers will be show at the end of the season now that Villa and Newcastle are in the mix.

For the record I think you are a big club, albeit you haven't won anything (important) for years, but your fan base alone makes you a big club as well as your stadium and crowd/gates. Your attendances have always been good (excluding the 80s), but you can't really compare your attendances to ours in recent times because 1. Your ground holds more than ours (39,460) and 2. We have also been out of the top flight for 12 years, where we have been run by crooks, and cocaine addicted mad chairman who have fleeced our club.

Plus our match day ticket/season ticket prices for a club in the Championship are the highest in the Championship (excluding Brighton and Fulham I think - I'd have to look it up) and more than the majority of Premiership clubs. Try going year after year watching crap, a lack of investment in the team, and selling your prized assets and spending that amount of money on a ticket. It's enough to turn even the loyal of fans away.

Would your team have survived this for 12 years of this crap - I don't think so. yet we take the largest Football League away following in the country, (

We still have a lot of loyal supporters regardless and the core of them will always be there. We just need to see a bit of hope for the future (can't see it at the moment) and the attendances will increase again, no matter the price. It's a sad state of affairs and the feeling of the majority of Leeds fans is that while Cellino is in charge, we will not progress, so fans have started voting with their feet.

Am I wrong your attendances went down last year didn't they and you were in the Premiership? I'm assuming that is due to how the club has been run and who by. Try dealing with that for 12 years, but to be honest even if Ashley left your club is more attractive than ours to investors. Unfortunately investors don't deal with crooks (ours), unless they're a billionaire like Abramovich that don't give a shit.

I'll always have respect for your fans, as I will always remember the Newcastle United fans visiting Elland Road and laying Newcastle shirts down in respect at our Billy Bremner Statue, when our two fans were killed in Istanbul. I'll always remember that and thank you for it.

Anyway, the big club debate will always bring about a passionate discussion, but to say we have been out of the Premiership for 12 years, we are 13th in the list of the All Time Premier League table. No mean feat for a team only there for 12 seasons! I'm just wondering if we'd be above you (8th after 24 seasons) if we'd managed to bounce straight back up after relegation from the Prem. :glare:

Good luck for the season. I think you will finish in the top 2, probably first, but it will be a long hard slog, so don't be surprised if you finished in the Play Offs like West Ham did a few years back when they should have gone up automatically! Meanwhile, Leeds will be struggling to finish in the top half of the table.

Oh and if you want a reasoned intelligent discussion (with the odd derogatory insult thrown in) try The Square Ball: http://forum.thesquareball.net/viewforum.php?f=1 and our Square Ball mag named the country's best fanzine: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/leeds-united-fanzine-aims-for-another-champion-season-1-7396607 It's all we have that is good at the moment, so forgive the sell.

Really surprised that you never came to us with your survey. We'd have responded to your recent survey that you posted on the other sites!

Cheers.

There was was no collective discussion by committee about which forums to approach as it's just something one poster does to keep himself occupied down in that London.

There was was no collective discussion by committee about which forums to approach as it's just something one poster does to keep himself occupied down in that London.

Not sure if i'm going to bother. Doesn't seem to be the same amount of interest. Might be worthwhile later in pre-season, but maybe not.

Not sure if i'm going to bother. Doesn't seem to be the same amount of interest. Might be worthwhile later in pre-season, but maybe not.

It used to be vaguely interesting getting other fans POV's but to honest I'd rather craic on with other supporters in real life than through the internet because of divvies like that young Leeds fan.

It used to be vaguely interesting getting other fans POV's but to honest I'd rather craic on with other supporters in real life than through the internet because of divvies like that young Leeds fan.

Might be better if I ask an author/editor of a fanzine?

Cut down on the arsehole replies at least.

'Your attendances have always been good (excluding the 80s)'

Newcastle and Leeds attendances were pretty similar in the 80's and in comparison with other teams and context of how poor of a team Newcastle were those attendances were pretty high

You're right it doesn't come up. It used to and it's something we have discussed before to get it in the search engine. Shame really as it's probably the second biggest forum after. WACCOE.

Don't blame you for being interested in your own fans I'd feel the same way, but I am interested sometimes in what other fans think about football topics in general, not just Leeds.

If you ever want to approach us in the future (we'll be a long distance memory when you go up this season and we are still languishing) on the forum or the Square Ball Mag, speak to thechubbyone, Discodan or Moscowwhite (forum names). http://www.thecitytalking.com/tsb-206-lufc-the-mad-monk/

Anyway, I hope you have a good season. because if you don't go up with the money you have spent, it will be a travesty. Oh to have funds and the players like you do.....

Cheers.

'Your attendances have always been good (excluding the 80s)'

Newcastle and Leeds attendances were pretty similar in the 80's and in comparison with other teams and context of how poor of a team Newcastle were those attendances were pretty high

True. Ours was rubbish until Wilko came along and will be rubbish until Cellino leaves or we're competing for the Play Offs. Yours was rubbish (although you probably averaged more than us) until Keegan came along. Similar history there.

True. Ours was rubbish until Wilko came along and will be rubbish until Cellino leaves or we're competing for the Play Offs. Yours was rubbish (although you probably averaged more than us) until Keegan came along. Similar history there.

In terms of context and in comparison with the rest of the country, our support ( in averages) in the 80s wasnt rubbish

3rd best supported club in the country one year playing in the 2nd tier. Shite though

84, averaged 28k. Everton won the cup, 17k :lol:

For the record, Leeds averaged more than us twice in the 80s, 81 & 82.

Edited by PaddockLad

84, averaged 28k. Everton won the cup, 17k :lol:

For the record, Leeds averaged more than us twice in the 80s, 81 & 82.

To be honest the northern clubs averaged more than the southern clubs ever did when down in the 2nd division.

In terms of context and in comparison with the rest of the country, our support ( in averages) in the 80s wasnt rubbish

I meant rubbish compared to the attendances we/you have had when times have been good.

Does nee one think the username is a bit suss btw?

What? You mean mine? Eh? I'll be honest, the first time I knew this forum existed was when you posted on WACCOE. 73 is the year I was born by the way. Pretty generic really.

@@Leeds73 fwiw you have 0 SEO , it's why you're not coming up or not high ranked on google pages, it doesn't know what your forum is about topic/genre wise in the slightest, you've as much chance coming up in a search for "leeds football discussion" as you do "how do I make toast"

it'll hook on to the odd topic title and things like that and you'll get on some pages (but low down pending on how many rival searches you have to contend with) which will be your only hope, player names etc but asides from that you're beat

Aye cheers for that. I'll ask some of the others on TSB to pass it on. A few mentioned it a year or so ago and they adjusted something (I'm not internet savvy) so we were more searchable and it came up on the second page. Doing a search in Google now e.g. Leeds forum, Leeds football forum etc, and it's nowhere to be seen.

To be honest the northern clubs averaged more than the southern clubs ever did when down in the 2nd division.

Pfft...no ones on about southern clubs. If you want to post on here mate you'll have to up your game a bit.. ;)

I once nearly got kicked all over outside the peacock, surrounded by Leeds fans one of whom pushed over a younger lad who must've only been about 15. I still regret not hoofing one of the ringleaders in the dish as I was on an outside bench at the time and I'd have took his fucking head off. Leeds fans had been OK up till a few dicks turned up. I was early twenties at the time, 94ish.