Turkey

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Article notes that it's a part of the military, not all of it. I think that's actually worse. That leaves armies on both sides.

Hopefully it'll blow over somehow...

Anyone know which way the Turkish military swings? Pro-Russia? Pro-West? Or just anti-Erdogan?

They've done it before to stop the country becoming Islamic - the notional secular definition of Turkey was started by Ataturk but it's always been enforced by the military.

If it's the same thing again I'd guess they think Erdogan is getting too far away from that.

Ok that's not bad actually. Erdogan is a tosser anyway, and seems to be becoming more despotic as time goes on. Won't miss him if this topples him.

Just hope it doesn't lead to yet more instability.

Quoting a friend there:

"There was going to be a Security Meeting soon at which there were going to be several important changes within the army.

It was expected that Erdogan would have military power with his side as well as civil power. However, we don't know what the impact will be. I've heard gun shots live on TV near the police headquarter. The government call people to go for demonstrations, which might have serious results."

Sounds a bit human shield-y.

In any case, assume anything you see on the news for now to basically be only what Erdogan wants you to know/think. Fun times!

Quoting a friend there:

"There was going to be a Security Meeting soon at which there were going to be several important changes within the army.

It was expected that Erdogan would have military power with his side as well as civil power. However, we don't know what the impact will be. I've heard gun shots live on TV near the police headquarter. The government call people to go for demonstrations, which might have serious results."

Sounds a bit human shield-y.

In any case, assume anything you see on the news for now to basically be only what Erdogan wants you to know/think. Fun times!

Tell him the military have announced a curfew.

He's a bookworm with an endless supply of Turkish tea, he has no intention of going anywhere. :D Internet is already getting patchy though apparently, makes sense they'd be trying to shut it down to stop things getting out.

Erdogan's been interviewed on TV via FaceTime (!) saying everything will be returned to normal. Doesn't sound hugely like what you'd have to resort to if you were in charge, but who knows at this stage...

God I hope this is the end of him. A Turkish friend has been telling me all the shit he's been pulling. Apart from imprisoning journalists, hassling the German army, trying to get NATO to go to war with Russia and the rest of it...They've started to meddle in the school system...

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2015/11/turkey-arabic-education-divides-country.html

Edited by Park Life

Erdogan's been interviewed on TV via FaceTime (!) saying everything will be returned to normal. Doesn't sound hugely like what you'd have to resort to if you were in charge, but who knows at this stage...

Erdogan was quoted as saying, 'BAMFU'.