religion

Dr Gloom

2 minutes ago, wolfy said:

All men and women are born equal but it appears that some are more equal than others. 

Yeah, you're pretty damn equal.

I wonder how many people would choose a religion if they were allowed to reach the age of 18 before they had to even contemplate any of it by peer pressure or parental pushing of a religion.

One thing for sure. It's an excellent control measure, throughout.

I was brought up to fear the wrath of god.

If I was naughty then god would strike me down.

If I was good then god would remember it all and reward me in heaven.

Imagine the choices as a kid.

It's a bit like the Santa carry on.

If you're a good boy this year then Santa will bring you some presents but if you're bad you may get none, or a lump of burned coal.

With Santa, all we lose is presents.

With god, we could be struck down and not go to heaven but be taken to hell.

So what we have is, a dilemma as a kid or even an adult that is easily manipulated.

On the one hand we can choose to follow a god all of our lives with the end result being a place in heaven.

For this we simply follow gods words (whichever words of whichever gods they are) and do not veer off that course, whilst being mindful to spread that word, as well as meeting at a building to worship en masse as well as part of a small family group, or singular, at home.

Follow Satan/Devil or whatever bad names as regards hell and we get to live an evil life with all the trappings and protected from the wrath of the god that would strike us down, until we finally succumb to the end of life, only for the Devil to punish us for the bad deeds that this Devil forced upon us and now find ourselves shovelling coal into the fires of hell or burning in it, depending on how it's interpreted.

All those dilemmas and all those various religions to choose from and just one Devil for those that choose not to fear/worship/idolise one such god.

Or we can take our chances in life as it is until we expire and believing in only whatever we wish to believe in as part of a reality that we can literally be part of and deal with and just hope that when we do die, we either switch off the lights and that's that, or whatever comes is out of our hands from that point on.

Basically the choice is this:

The goodies are all in the middle of that table. Food and drink of all people's liking for as long as you want to keep devouring it.

The problem is, you are only allowed to feast on it under certain conditions.

1. You tuck right in until you expire from your physical life with the understanding, after being told that you go directly to hell.

2. You stare at the food and imagine eating whatever you want to but will not physically touch any of it until you expire and enjoy it all in a comfortable after-life.

I pick number 1.

What about anyone else?

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

Is there an option that results in you not posting anymore?

Yep. It's called moderating with the power to force it. Feel free to exercise that if that's what you want.

Ah thats not how it works here, if it was rest assured you'd have gone ages ago but as it stands we avoid banning pretty much anyone outright.

I'd much prefer you to choose to stop.

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

Ah thats not how it works here, if it was rest assured you'd have gone ages ago but as it stands we avoid banning pretty much anyone outright.

I'd much prefer you to choose to stop.

If you can give me a genuine explanation as to why you want this then I'll happily oblige.

Just now, Andrew said:

Well, what with the racism and anti-science stances you essentially disgust me.

There's no racism from my side and you know this. If there is then show me.

Also show me the anti science.

Don't show me the anti pseudo science.

19 hours ago, Andrew said:

Well, what with the racism and anti-science stances you essentially disgust me.

... and boom goes the dynamite.

Science and religion need to be clarified, because there's a few parts to what religion is and only one exactness to what science is.

If we are talking about religion being the belief/faith/worship of a super being/entity, then we can all agree that it is, for all intents and purposes, exactly based on faith, unless a person can directly prove otherwise, which has never been done to my knowledge.

People can argue that answered prayers are definitive proof of their religious belief's. I could argue that praying to a ham sandwich gets some of my prayers answered.
It's all about the odds.

Science is the Earth. It is everything we are and are part of in the physical knowing terms.
Science is how we explore and use all resources from studying a leaf to seeing what makes up a grain of sand, etc.

Basically science is natural. It's a reality of everything that we can verify physically.
Anything other than that would be classed as guesswork.
It's fine to see an old house with a home sweet home knitted love heart on the door and guess that a little old lady lives there; maybe with a little old husband and possibly a small pet.

Until you physically prove this, then all you're going on is guesswork.
How true that becomes is solely down to how the story can be told about the occupiers of that little old house.
Mass opinion can take a foothold and can render any other person who questions that guesswork, as irrelevant.

If you cannot physically verify something then it's not natural science.
If you have faith in something that cannot be physically verified, then it's a religion.

Real natural science is something that is indisputable.

1 minute ago, Meenzer said:

The definition of "you" is the crux here.

I wouldn't define him as a crux. 

Same number of letters though.

16 minutes ago, wolfy said:

Science and religion need to be clarified, because there's a few parts to what religion is and only one exactness to what science is.

If we are talking about religion being the belief/faith/worship of a super being/entity, then we can all agree that it is, for all intents and purposes, exactly based on faith, unless a person can directly prove otherwise, which has never been done to my knowledge.

People can argue that answered prayers are definitive proof of their religious belief's. I could argue that praying to a ham sandwich gets some of my prayers answered.
It's all about the odds.

Science is the Earth. It is everything we are and are part of in the physical knowing terms.
Science is how we explore and use all resources from studying a leaf to seeing what makes up a grain of sand, etc.

Basically science is natural. It's a reality of everything that we can verify physically.
Anything other than that would be classed as guesswork.
It's fine to see an old house with a home sweet home knitted love heart on the door and guess that a little old lady lives there; maybe with a little old husband and possibly a small pet.

Until you physically prove this, then all you're going on is guesswork.
How true that becomes is solely down to how the story can be told about the occupiers of that little old house.
Mass opinion can take a foothold and can render any other person who questions that guesswork, as irrelevant.

If you cannot physically verify something then it's not natural science.
If you have faith in something that cannot be physically verified, then it's a religion.

Real natural science is something that is indisputable.

Doesn't even rhyme.

When I'm asked about religion; usually by canvassing mormons or Jehova's witness, usually, I basically tell them that, for the sake of having to play one against the other, I just have an agnostic stance.

I think it's the best way to be when faced with the amount of belief's in a kind of super entity.

I'm more or less telling anyone that proof is not physically forthcoming, nor has it ever been shown to be in the past that can be physically verified as a proof, today.

However, going back to my earlier post about the little old house. It also does not mean that a belief in something by mass opinion has to be incorrect. It could turn out to be correct in one way or the other in terms of a right religious belief.

It comes down to logical thought and the need to verify something which can either be verified but is shrouded in secrecy or security, or accepting that direct physical proof is suppressed or literally unavailable in any physical way.

It all comes down to mass peer pressure as to how each and every thought process is evaluated.

The man/woman in the suit can pray in a large building and be thought of as pillars of society, as I mentioned before.

The same man and woman would look out of place kneeling before a statue in the middle of a town centre.

The people in the robe will look more at home to passers by.

As long as there is something KNOWN to pray to, then all of these people are accepted by masses.

Place an unkempt person in the middle of a park, praying as he/she is facing a large tree and the police will be called or passers by will shout, WEIRDO or words to that effect.

Upon being accosted and interrogated, the person can tell all and sundry that he/she was praying to the god of the roots of the Earth.

That should about get the person a severe warning or sectioned for their and the public's safety.

This is how it works and it's how it works in all walks of life with anything that is not deemed a mass acceptance.

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Pretty sure it was confirmed a while back that the Mormoms are correct in their beliefs.

They said that about Iceland but it was never proved.

Moremums go to Iceland. But do they?