NUFC v Huddersfield - 13 August @ 3pm

Happy Face

Predict The Score  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Magpies begin their Championship home campaign on Saturday when Huddersfield Town visit SJP for an old-fashioned 3pm kickoff.

Tickets remain on public sale, but the game is heading for a sell out, with over 35,000 season tickets bought and the visitors flogging their entire 3,200 allocation.

The Gallowgate Flags group have taken delivery of their banners for a pre-game display on Saturday and are seeking more volunteers in the Gallowgate End at 2.30pm. Email contact@gallowgateflags.co.uk

Remember that these are club-sanctioned but 100% fan-funded, with £5,000+ raised by public donation.

And if you're not in that part of the ground, there's still the opportunity to make this a black and white day by wearing your colours - be it shirts, scarves or kilts (!). 

PS: There's a useful Q&A on their twitter site here https://twitter.com/gallowgateflags/

Travel:

Metro: No scheduled disruptions

Park & Ride etc: updated details to follow

Soccerbus services

(Note that we're currently checking to make sure that everything advertised is current for season 2016/17)

Betting: to follow

Team: Aleksandar Mitrovic serves the second part of a four game ban following a red card in the final game of last season. He'll miss also games against Reading and Bristol City before becoming available for United's League Cup tie on or around August 24th.

HTFC: David Wagner's side began the season with a 2-1 home win over Brentford on Saturday, debutant loan duo Elias Kachunga and Kasey Palmer both netting.

Striker Kachunga arrived from German side Ingolstadt 04 while midfielder Palmer is on loan from Chelsea - the latter scoring within a minute of taking to the field.

Ahead of their visit to Tyneside, the Terriers travel to Shrewsbury on Tuesday night for a League Cup tie.

Since gaining promotion from League One in 2012, Town have finished 19th, 17th, 16th and 19th.

Huddersfield will be looking for their second victory at SJP in 2016, with the Giants beating St Helens 48-20 during the Rugby League Magic Weekend!

Referee: tbc

UK TV: No UK live coverage

Channel 5's hour-long Championship highlights show airs at 9pm on Saturday night, with a repeat at 10.30am on Sunday.

Overseas TV: To follow

UK Radio: tbc

Local Radio: Live on BBC Radio Newcastle

Stats:

Last time out: NUFC.com match report http://www.nufc.com/html/2009-10html/2009-08-26huddersfield-h.html

Huddersfield's last visit to SJP was for a League Cup Second Round tie in our promotion season of 2009/10 - goals from Danny Guthrie, Geremi, Shola Ameobi and Kevin Nolan overcoming Lee Clark's Town side.

Team: Krul, Ryan Taylor, Enrique, Butt (Shola Ameobi [Vuckic]), Kadar, Simpson, Geremi, Nolan, Ranger, Guthrie, Kazenga LuaLua (Gutierrez)

Subs n/u: Harper, Smith, Tozer, Donaldson

Terriers in Toon - Post War:

2009/10 won 4-3 Guthrie, Geremi, Ameobi, Nolan (LC)

1983/84 won 5-2 Waddle 2, McDermott, Keegan, Beardsley

1971/72 drew 0-0

1970/71 won 2-0 Dyson, Robson

1964/65 won 2-1 McGarry 2

1963/64 won 2-0 Thomas, Hilley

1963/64 won 5-1 Taylor 3, Hilley, McGarry (FR)

1962/63 drew 1-1 McGarry

1961/62 drew 1-1 Wilson

1955/56 drew 1-1 Davies

1954/55 won 2-0 Keeble, Mitchell (FAC)

1954/55 drew 2-2 Curry, White

1953/54 lost 0-2

1951/52 won 6-2 Milburn 3, Mitchell 2, G.Robledo

1950/51 won 6-0 Milburn 3, Mitchell, G.Robledo,

Taylor

1949/50 drew 0-0

1948/49 lost 2-4 Hair, Milburn

Upcoming Championship fixtures:

Fri 12.08.2016:

Brighton v Nottingham Forest (7.45pm)

Sat 13.08.2016:

Aston Villa v Rotherham United (3pm)

Barnsley v Derby County (3pm)

Brentford v Ipswich Town (3pm)

Burton Albion v Bristol City (3pm

Leeds United v Birmingham City (3pm)

Preston North End v Fulham (3pm)

Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers (3pm)

Wolves v Reading (3pm)

Norwich City v Sheffield Wednesday (5.30pm)

Sun 14.08.2016:

Cardiff City v QPR (3pm)

Theived the nufc.com match preview, just to start the thread and open the  predictions

NUFC to score

1 - gpirlo68, Kevin Carr's Gloves, trophyshy, @yourservice
2 - Rayvin, The Fish, Kitman, PaddockLad, Alex, acrossthepond, MiddleAgeCool, holycrosser, Tom, Dougle, LooneyToony, ohhh_yeah, barnabox, RobinRobin, Monkeys Fist, Holden McGroin, ChezGiven, OTF
3 - Happy Face, ewerk, David Kelly, ToonMarshy, Andrew, StoneColdStephenIreland, TheGingerQuiff, wykikitoon, tooner, Ant, strawb
4+ - vimalraja, Haydnator, McFaul , CraigCooper, Christmas Tree

NUFC to concede

0 - gpirlo68, ewerk, David Kelly, Andrew, Kevin Carr's Gloves, StoneColdStephenIreland, TheGingerQuiff, wykikitoon, Dougle, LooneyToony, RobinRobin, Haydnator, Ant, McFaul , CraigCooper
1 - Happy Face, Rayvin, ToonMarshy, The Fish, Kitman, PaddockLad, Alex, trophyshy, acrossthepond, MiddleAgeCool, vimalraja, Tom, tooner, ohhh_yeah, barnabox, strawb, Monkeys Fist, Holden McGroin, ChezGiven, OTF, Christmas Tree
2 - holycrosser, @yourservice

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was tempted to go for a higher score but after Friday's reality check I'm going to go conservative. We still don't look like we can fashion chances very well to me and if we emphasise keeping it tight again, I suspect a narrow win.

Season has to start here tbh.

Had us down to lose on friday but genuinely didnt think we'd appear as lacklustre as we did. A nice strong convincing home win would put to bed the 'too soft' shite and hopefully show friday was just a slow start that started and ended there, cant afford to have that carry on, early as it is.

Friday went just as I expected it to (even though I stuck a tenner on us to win) but I've said all along that I still think we will do well this season. I expect a massive improvement here.

I put a fiver on Fulham to win 1-0 at 11-1. Matt cashed it out at half time for £10.

(to be fair he gave me £20 and bought a few rounds and is letting me crash at his for a bit... so I'm not bitter)

I think we need a win just to start believing in ourselves a bit (both fanbase and players). The longer we fail to get one, the more entrenched pessimism will become. Obviously one game against Fulham doesn't mean much, but we need to turn this around quickly and get on the front foot.

Even less confident than I was pre Fulham.

We are vulnerable at the back, not creative in midfield and weak up front. They say you should start with a good spine. We are spineless.

We'll do well to get mid table if things don't change.

Still need several quality 1st 11 additions.

I must say I'm quite surprised we have started the season so on the back foot.

I would definitely have Tiote Sisokko and Mbemba back in for Saturday for starters.

Two separate things as explained on the day. Just like my bet this week will again be a blind faith win. ;)

Most of your opinions are 2 separate things.

Your're the toontastic Schroedinger's Cat.

Last Friday was pretty disappointing tbf to CT, however we do seem to have a manager who is actually pretty good at his job, by and large. I'm sure he can spot stuff going wrong and act on it, also sure he can limit things going wrong in the first place.