Other games 16/17

Kid Dynamite

Retros for diving would certainly help the game become less frustrating, but it's hard to see it coming in as teams like Barcelona would suffer badly. I guess you'd also have to decide if someone had just fallen over or not.

Yeah, i think they should look at each game and dish out bans for diving and such.  

Other innovations football could do well to adopt: micing up refs, and retrospective bans for diving.

Can you imagine Mike Dean with a Britney mic? He'll spend all week thinking up good lines instead of preparing for the actual match.

Diving has got to be clamped down on, across the globe and reviews seem the most obvious method.

The players deliberately make the game harder to referee by cheating, yet are the first to moan when they get a decision wrong. The whole abuse towards referees needs to be stopped from the top. The lack of respect filters all the way down. I'd love to see a shortage of referees for a while. The abuse they get is so over the top when the game relies on it.

A 3 person panel decided Rojo didn't stamp the other week.Does the panel not contain ex-players,ex-managers and ex-refs.Whenever the subject of video evidence crops up,know-nowts in the media,usually ex-players,ex-managers and ex-refs ,demand such 'football people' should be on these panels.That clearly doesn't work.You might as well just leave things the way they are,unless I was given the job of making the decision.

The players deliberately make the game harder to referee by cheating, yet are the first to moan when they get a decision wrong. The whole abuse towards referees needs to be stopped from the top. The lack of respect filters all the way down. I'd love to see a shortage of referees for a while. The abuse they get is so over the top when the game relies on it.

Refs cheat as well though.Giving the big teams the decisions.The game is full of cheats.

Those cunts wouldn't have got away with half the things they did if Keane and co had been rightly booked for dissent.

With the exception of goal line technology unless the ball has gone dead, out, for a goal or stopped for an infringement, video technology should have no say in a decision during a game.

That's the referees job and they will bottle every decision if things are to be decided by the video/fourth official.

It will end up like gridiron, with constant stoppages and then Murdoch will convince them there is enough time to run a 30 second commercial for every stoppage and that will be the end. 

But it should definitely be used for retrospective bookings and bans. Then watch how much cheating will disappear.

That England Ukraine game in Euro 2012 is a good example. Ukraine got the ball over the line but the goal wasn't given. In the build up Ukraine were offside. With goal line tech Ukraine would have been awarded that goal, but how is it fair that only the decision that benefitted Ukraine gets looked at?

I'm sure many of us are capable of accepting that both teams are aware of how it is before the game kicks off, but wait until something like that costs Real Madrid or Man Utd a CL place. Then it'll be something else, an incorrect free kick call etc.

Where does it end?

Edited by rob032

That England Ukraine game in Euro 2012 is a good example. Ukraine got the ball over the line but the goal wasn't given. In the build up Ukraine were offside. With goal line tech Ukraine would have been awarded that goal, but how is it fair that only the decision that benefitted Ukraine gets looked at?

I'm sure many of us are capable of accepting that both teams are aware of how it is before the game kicks off, but wait until something like that costs Real Madrid or Man Utd a CL place. Then it'll be something else, an incorrect free kick call etc.

Where does it end?

I don't remember that goal, how much time was there between the offside and the subsequent goal?

Where does it end?

Thing is your argument is wrong because if the goal was awarded then the offside would have been found due to video technology and then the goal would be disallowed and the offside given, all in the time the goal celebration has run its course.

TBH I'd rather the whole thing was left to the match officials and video was only used retrospectively to rid the game of cheats but it has started so at least video technology should be used right and with minimal effect to the flow, unlike in cricket, rugby league, etc.

I'm happy with goal line technology and leaving the rest upto the referee.

It'd be pretty boring if we have nothing to moan about.

The club is owned by that cunt Ashley, there will always be something to moan about.

It can also add to excitement when the crowd waits for a pending decision, which would soon become part of the game. It's been brilliant for cricket.

Anything to boost the atmosphere at SJP has to be seen as a plus these days.

It will take some getting used to in football, there was pure silence in Paris last night, nobody knew what the fuck was going on :lol:

I'm happy with goal line technology and leaving the rest upto the referee.

It'd be pretty boring if we have nothing to moan about.

:lol: Aye that's it like, you'd lose a good moan. I get Sammy's point about having Ashley to moan about but we need more than one option to moan about, it's been mostly quiet on the Ashley front but we've had some shambolic officiating this season to have a right good whinge about.

I also do get that it would be relatively quick but it would take something away from the goal celebration, I've often only got half excited after a goal while I look to the linesman to see if the flag went up before going mental you'd then also have the fact some other bloke is now re-watching the goal to see if there was anything in the build up to disallow it in the back of your mind while celebrating. It also in itself gives that next official a chance to be a dick, there is quite often something that could be given in the build up so you're giving the official the power to disallow a goal because there was a slight pull of a shirt somewhere in the build up.

I'd just leave it at goal line technology, it's been done really well and that was a black and white question while the rest of the subjective stuff has been left in the completely incapable hands of the officials so we can all have a good rant in the pub after the match.

Other innovations football could do well to adopt: micing up refs, and retrospective bans for diving.

I think putting a mic on the ref would quickly get rid of the worst of the abuse towards them, as it would make the game unbroadcastable before the watershed!

The sponsors and broadcasters would soon have something to say about that, and when the money talks...

Thing is your argument is wrong because if the goal was awarded then the offside would have been found due to video technology and then the goal would be disallowed and the offside given, all in the time the goal celebration has run its course.

TBH I'd rather the whole thing was left to the match officials and video was only used retrospectively to rid the game of cheats but it has started so at least video technology should be used right and with minimal effect to the flow, unlike in cricket, rugby league, etc.

If anything that situation supports my argument. You either have it for everything or you don't have it at all. And having it for everything is going to be a fucking nightmare to implement and would totally change the matchday experience.

On top of that I don't get why people think it would remove any and all controversy and take away any doubt about decisions. Every single week I see penalty and red card incidents on Match of the Day etc where the panel have had 7 hours and 5 different angles and they still can't agree.

Yeah, I want 100% accuracy or no accuracy at all.

:lol:  This.

It's clearly going to be better on average with it than without it.

I like the system in tennis where players can contest 3 decisions per match.  It's actually quite exciting watching the replay on the big screen (though it's not video obviously).

And if football can't survive the excitement of dodgy decisions being removed, maybe we should all just watch basketball instead.