Other games 16/17

Kid Dynamite

Just read that Seamus Coleman suffered the fracture of both the Tibia & Fibia and I can really feel for him as I have been down that road.

I had only been in Southern California for 7 months and was playing for the Long Beach Soccer Club against the San Pedro Jugoslavs'. One of their players was about to take a shot on goal and I slid in and nudged the ball away. Unfortunately my leg was where the ball had been and he couldn't prevent his kick and just about kicked my leg off. Not his fault but I ended up with a broken tibia & fibia, had surgery and had a steel pin inserted down the middle of the large bone. Was in a full leg cast for 9 months.

Video referees being used tonight in the France V Spain game, France had one chalked off by video after originally being given, Spain having an offside goal overturned by the video ref. Both the right decision. Could be the way forward although it takes the edge off a goal a bit.

Edited by Anorthernsoul

I'm dead against video refs like. Not because I like controversy in football, but I just think it starts becoming unfair when certain decisions are reviewed and not others. The Premier League is unfairly officiated at the minute, with goal line tech and nothing else.

Anyone see the South American qualifiers today? Argentina beaten 2-0 by Bolivia. I'm not 100% but I think the top 4 go through automatically and 5th have to go into a play off? Argentina are 4th and will be 5th if Chile win their game in hand.

Edited by rob032

I'm dead against video refs like. Not because I like controversy in football, but I just think it starts becoming unfair when certain decisions are reviewed and not others. The Premier League is unfairly officiated at the minute, with goal line tech and nothing else.

Anyone see the South American qualifiers today? Argentina beaten 2-0 by Bolivia. I'm not 100% but I think the top 4 go through automatically and 5th have to go into a play off? Argentina are 4th and will be 5th if Chile win their game in hand.

I don't follow? Surely video refs are there for binary decisions like goal/no goal, out of bounds/in bounds, onside/offside? Judgement calls like fouls, and what have you will still be based on the referees assessment of the incident?

I think his point is that other calls can have an equal say in deciding the game, and that if you're going to eliminate all error on things like goals, you should do the same on the others.

Not sure I agree though as the rules are applied equally at the end of the day, and both teams have the potential benefit.

Like technology in other sports, if it reduces the percentage of human error, im in favour. It can also add to excitement when the crowd waits for a pending decision, which would soon become part of the game. It's been brilliant for cricket.

Other innovations football could do well to adopt: micing up refs, and retrospective bans for diving.

Retros for diving would certainly help the game become less frustrating, but it's hard to see it coming in as teams like Barcelona would suffer badly. I guess you'd also have to decide if someone had just fallen over or not.